Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May must go

(112 Posts)
Anja Tue 19-Mar-19 07:36:39

How long must we put up with this blithering incompetent?

Poly Toynbee summed up her lack of ability and vision in this quote

“How different all this might have been under a wiser, cleverer, more empathic and perceptive leader. She could have reached out from her first day to try to heal the great gash in the country caused by David Cameron’s reckless referendum. Imagine if she had called a national council, a Speaker’s conference or a commission of all parties and interests, with citizen’s assemblies to lay out what was actually possible and what was fantastical nonsense in ways forward. But that is a unicorn wish: she is what she is. The country fell into the hands of someone only capable of making a very bad situation infinitely worse.”

Cherrytree59 Tue 19-Mar-19 11:42:21

Ahh Mexico's new president

Seems like Mexico and The USA do have somthing in common,
A Populist Presidentsmile

varian Tue 19-Mar-19 11:45:31

One of the most damaging aspects of this whole Brexit shambles has been to expose voters to the unpalatable truth that the House of Commons is not a place of all the talents. Indeed, it currently feels like Idiots Central.

And so, the EU has potentially done her job for her. It is understood to have already indicated to the prime minister that she can have the extension but in return she must either soften her deal or hold a second referendum.

That croaking noise coming out of May’s mouth last week was her choking on her own words as she saw control not being taken back but slipping further away.

www.holyrood.com/articles/comment/theresa-may-has-lost-all-authority-and-must-go

Cherrytree59 Tue 19-Mar-19 11:47:23

Something!

Framilode Tue 19-Mar-19 11:47:53

I think a lot of the mess we are in now is down to TM. Yes, leave won the vote but almost half the vote was to stay. If she had tried to reach some sort of consensus instead of aligning herself with the hard brexiteers we might be in a better place. I think the bribery of the DUP is disgraceful, they don't even represent the views of the people of Northern Ireland.

She has put party before country and procrastinated and procrastinated so that we have ended up in this mess with just 10 days to go.

Goodness knows what the answer is now but she is so inflexible,, has no imagination and seems incapable of making a decision that I have lost what little confidence I had in her.

Urmstongran Tue 19-Mar-19 12:16:27

I thought Cameron would be viewed by history as the worst prime minister we've ever had. Now I think May is about to take that crown for herself.

Anja Tue 19-Mar-19 12:56:28

To those who are asking ‘who would replace her/do a better job?’ I would reply ‘Anybody!’ Nobody could have made a worse botch up.’ And the proof of this particular pudding is there for all to see.

Anja Tue 19-Mar-19 13:00:19

On lunchtime news TM has admitted the UK is ‘in crisis’ ...so who is to blame?

varian Tue 19-Mar-19 13:16:45

You were right the first time Urmstongran

Cameron will go down in history as an arrogant reckless gambler who held a referendum on a very complicated subject that should never have been the subject of a yes/no answer.

Nobody, and I'm not just talking about those who were fooled into voting leave , I mean absolutely nobody, properly understood all the consequences of the UK leaving the EU. Anyone who said they knew exactly what they were voting for is a fool or a liar or both.

Cameron then failed to protect the status quo with a super-majority, as should always happen for any change to a constitution. You would probably need a 60%/40% vote on a minimum turnout of 75% to change the constitution of your local gardening society. In the first Scottish devolution referendum the "yes" side won, but it was not enacted because less than 40% of the electorate voted "yes".

He allowed many stakeholders, such as more than 1 million UK citizens living in other EU countries and over 3 million EU citizens living in the UK to be disenfranchised, although these people could be very much affected by the result.

He permitted the leave campaign to be financed by foreign interests and did not make it clear that under our constitution a referendum could only ever be advisory, not mandatory, making a statement he had no right to make about acting on the result.

Theresa May, in her efforts to placate the extreme right, has badly let down the country but David Cameron started this appalling brexit nonsense and must take the biggest share of the blame.

EllanVannin Tue 19-Mar-19 13:24:14

The country's been " in crisis " for years, this is nothing new.
We've had the ongoing poverty and homelessness for a long time. Housing shortages and NHS troubles, etc.

Only those who are well-conversant in the above issues can make any improvements-------and they're not politicians but ordinary people who have experience in those areas.

jura2 Tue 19-Mar-19 14:44:53

I am not a violent person - but I do wish I could get my hands on Cameron and have a 'word' (or two).

I am no admirer or fan of Mrs May- and found herself pig in the middle of a massive mess, with a party so divided- and I have to admire her for her dedication- call it sutbborness - most would have buckled and fallen apart- she is probably going through menopause and is diabetic - I don't know how she keeps going.

But the most worrying thing when she goes, and who on earth would replace her. Probably one of the extreme ERG public school elites, who have been making tons of money througout the crisis, and planning to make a lot more- and moving assets abroad, to offshore low tax areas or even the EU - and are hell bent on taking the whole country to the cleaners and bleed the poorest dry. There is not a single on of them I would trust in any way, shape or form. Scary, truly scary.

jura2 Tue 19-Mar-19 14:49:44

The Farage march from Sunderland is perhaps the best illustration of how good, honest people- were misled and lied too, and exploited- in a truly shameful way- and he can't even be bothered to be there- too busy going around his alt right EU friends to persuade them to block and undermine our Government and parliament- in the most hypocritical way ever.

varian Tue 19-Mar-19 18:34:33

Is the Farage march part of Theresa May's cunning plan?

Anja Tue 19-Mar-19 21:52:40

???

andycameron69 Tue 19-Mar-19 21:56:44

what a scream

such traitors

out we go, all this getting het up will solve nothing

grin
grin
grin

Urmstongran Tue 19-Mar-19 22:52:52

Who can believe it’s 1,000 days since we voted for Brexit and we are now only 10 days away from it. (supposedly).

Ginny42 Wed 20-Mar-19 03:23:59

She's not acting alone. How can one person make all the decisions? She's a puppet being manipulated by the different factions within the Tory party and she's disposable. When she's served their purpose, she'll be gone. Someone's playing the waiting game in the wings and when the time's right she'll be gone.

Anja Wed 20-Mar-19 07:40:07

But Ginny she is acting alone and not drawing people together. Yes, she’s trying to placate the DUP but otherwise she’s acting like a mini dictator and not a very effective one at that.

Anniebach Wed 20-Mar-19 08:48:00

Corbyn met with leaders of oposition parties, he wasn’t interested in their views on Brexit, just he wants a general
Election.

Nicenanny3 Wed 20-Mar-19 08:55:38

Yes that's all Corbyn and Labour are interested in a general election not the county or Labour leave voters, he might get a shock if there is an election and most of his traitor mps are voted out, change is coming and Ukip and the new Brexit party will win seats.

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 09:03:58

Corbyn has paid too much attention to Labour leave voters. Most Labour Mps, party members and voters support Remain.

Nicenanny3 Wed 20-Mar-19 09:13:08

Well most of labour constituencies voted Leave so I don't know where you got that information from. So he will be in for a big shock if there is a general election.

Anja Wed 20-Mar-19 09:29:04

So all this is Corbyn’s fault! Might have guessed.

When you can’t find fault in the person at the top who ought to be leading the way, let’s bash Corbyn. No wonder this country is in the mess it is when this is the way some people think.....if that’s the right word.

Anja Wed 20-Mar-19 09:31:17

‘UKip and the new Brexit party will win seats’ [sic]

What Brexit party? UKIP? ???

Gonegirl Wed 20-Mar-19 09:35:17

I think andy had it right there. " out we go, all this getting het up will solve nothing "

varian Wed 20-Mar-19 10:18:00

A majority of voters in all seats held by Labour support a second referendum on Brexit, according to an analysis released by the People’s Vote campaign as it steps up its lobbying of opposition MPs.

The campaign commissioned a YouGov study based on polling of 26,000 people in the hope of persuading Labour MPs to vote for a second referendum if May’s Brexit deal is rejected and the party cannot force a general election.

The effort is aimed in particular at Labour MPs in constituencies that supported leave, many of whom still say that the primary message they hear from constituents is they want the UK to get out of the European Union as fast as possible.

It has helped sign up one high-profile backbencher, Jess Phillips, whose Birmingham Yardley constituency voted 60% to leave the EU but, where, according to the YouGov analysis, 63% support a second referendum and 52% would vote remain.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/02/majority-in-all-labour-seats-back-second-referendum-study-says