Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit-what else?

(273 Posts)
Mollygo Wed 27-Mar-19 09:01:35

Just joined GN and I thought this would be the place to ask. On the news today I heard them talking about getting rid of Mrs May and getting a “proper brexiteer”.
What’s one of those?

Mollygo Fri 29-Mar-19 12:32:41

PS
Varian, don’t you find that poll results vary, depending on who posts them and what their purpose is?

varian Fri 29-Mar-19 13:50:30

Polls over the last eighteen months have all shown a Remain lead.

whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/should-the-united-kingdom-remain-a-member-of-the-european-union-or-leave-the-european-union-asked-after-the-referendum/?removed

Anja Fri 29-Mar-19 14:24:10

Mollygo seems like you know enough already ???

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Mar-19 14:32:32

Anja grin

We could perhaps learn from you Mollygo
Keeeeep posting!

varian Mon 08-Apr-19 19:32:32

What the polls really say - not what the leave campaigners tell you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q9LpRLsxzo

Grandad1943 Mon 08-Apr-19 21:12:44

Mollygo, I think many of us on GN can think of much better words than Omnishambles to describe Brexit. However those posts would undoubtedly be defeated by admin.

However, welcome to GransNet Mollygo from one of the few male members of the forum.

jura2 Mon 08-Apr-19 21:14:53

Thank the Lords

Grandad1943 Mon 08-Apr-19 21:15:36

Apologies should be deleted above not defeated. blush

Grandad1943 Mon 08-Apr-19 21:16:53

That's not very nice jura2. grin

jura2 Mon 08-Apr-19 21:26:29

How-why?

jura2 Mon 08-Apr-19 21:27:57

House of Lords approves Cooper-Letwin bill that would force PM to delay Brexit to avoid no-deal on April 12

Grandad1943 Mon 08-Apr-19 22:02:47

jura2 Quote [How-why?] End Quote

Not sure on that one jura2, perhaps you can explain further on your post(s).

Grandad1943 Tue 09-Apr-19 07:51:04

Well, it would seem that this nation has slowly but surely progressed over nearly three years from a position of "leave means leave" and no compromises to Theresa May today embarking on two days of flying around Europe begging other EU leaders to let us stay.

Nothing could be more condemning of the whole Brexit lack of planning, leadership and negotiating skills than the above.

In demanding terms of the European Union that they could not possibly grant, Great Britain has become laughing stock of the world.

Undoubtedly this is "taking back control."

crystaltipps Tue 09-Apr-19 08:03:47

Mark Francois would probably fit the bill of proper Brexiteer, full of bluster and soundbites, complete hypocrite, or dim or both, demands a second no confidence vote in TMay as “ conditions have changed”, but doesn’t want a second referendum, even though conditions have blatantly changed, as it betrays the people (when he means a small minority of people). He also qualifies for EU citizenship like lots of proper Brexiters.

Grandad1943 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:18:56

I could not agree more crystaltipps with your thoughts on Mark Francois as he more than any other typifies the smirking Brexitier MP.

It is those that have brought Britain to having the French President and German Chancellor decide Britains future today, and the leaders of such nations as Luxembourg, Estonia and Greece determine Britains future tomorrow.

Definitely, taking back control.

varian Tue 09-Apr-19 08:57:28

www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/leave-voter-admits-to-james-obrien-no-brexit/

Cindersdad Tue 09-Apr-19 08:57:55

I voted Remain and would still vote Remain if we get another chance. I do not like Theresa May but do not want any Brexiteer replacement, she is the best if a very poor lot.

Those who knowingly told lies in 2016 should be prosecuted.

The make of the 44 million electorate in 2016 has changed by 4 million due to natural mortality and younger voter coming of age. We now much more and some of us have changed our minds. Another "final" public vote is more democratic than blindly following the flawed result of 2016. After that no more referendums. We elect MP's to do what they believe is best for the country even when some of their constituents think otherwise.

jura2 Tue 09-Apr-19 09:21:58

Grandad, I wrote 'Thank the Lords'

and you replied 'that's not very nice Jura'

so I asked 'how? why' (is it not very nice)

Grandad1943 Tue 09-Apr-19 09:51:49

jura2 Quote [ Grandad, I wrote 'Thank the Lords'
and you replied 'that's not very nice Jura' so I asked 'how? why' (is it not very nice) ]End Quote.

jura2, as you can witness in the above postings, you placed your one-line entry of "Thank the Lords" directly under a posting of mine were I informed a new member of the forum that there are few male members of the site.

Your "Thank the Lords" jura2, therefore, seemed to be a response to my above statement.

If it was not, could you advise on what the comment was thanking the lords for?

Greta Tue 09-Apr-19 09:56:03

Cindersdad: We elect MP's to do what they believe is best for the country even when some of their constituents think otherwise.

That is what I wrote to my MP some time ago. I actually believe the referendum should never have happened. It was a political game. The "will of the people" rings very hollow now three years later.

I think we all agree that the Brexit process went wrong from the word go. We were told it was going to be a smooth and easy procedure! Also, The EU would pretend to be awkward but really at the eleventh hour they would give in to us. All we needed to do was to stand firm and show them who is boss. The arrogance of it all! But who is for a slice of humble pie?

Nonnie Tue 09-Apr-19 10:40:02

Welcome Mollygo you will have seen that there will never be agreement on GN about Brexit which imo is a reflection of the country.

I would sum the shambles up by saying:

1 The referendum was badly thought through by a PM who was complacent.

2 It was flawed because of the electoral fraud which has now been proven

3 None of us really understood the implications of leaving the EU, neither Remain or Leave.

4 Our PM is obdurate and will not allow a confirmatory vote despite putting her own plan forward 3 times. She reminds me of my mother saying I had to sit there until I had eaten my spinach.

5 The EU is not to blame, they are doing the best they can for their organisation.

6 MPs are frightened of a confirmatory vote because they would have to nail their colours to the mast and this could go the wrong way for their electorate. They could lose their jobs.

7 Parliament has made such a mess that the only way forward is to ask the voters to sort it out. If Leave won again that would settle it once and for all but this time it would be based on facts now that we all know so much more.

8 We all have a secret vote so no need for anyone to admit they were wrong first time.

Dinahmo Tue 09-Apr-19 11:53:23

Thank you Nonnie - explained succinctly.

maryeliza54 Tue 09-Apr-19 11:59:09

Good post Nonnie well summed up. I would add that as a Remainer I didn’t need to know about the implications of leaving because I voted for staying and not against leaving if you get what I mean. However people voting Leave should have known what it meant and I’m tired of them saying they understood all the implications.

Lily65 Tue 09-Apr-19 12:52:26

Absolutely excellent post Nonnie.

jura2 Tue 09-Apr-19 12:57:44

Oh grandad, sometimes posts crossed. My Thank the Lord was nothing to do with you- but the fact I had just heard that the Lords had confirmed the Cooper-Letwin amendment.

So sorry if you got wires twisted- I, for one, think this place mght be much better if we had a better balance of the sexes.