Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dominic Grieve

(108 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 30-Mar-19 11:41:12

The remain-supporting Conservative MP, Dominic Grieve, is facing deselection by his party after losing a confidence vote held by his local association by 182 to 131 votes.

The Conservative association in his Beaconsfield constituency said it no longer had confidence in the former attorney general after he put his case to members at a meeting last night.

Hopefully he will be the first of many! Yvette Cooper’s constituents voted by 71% to Leave the EU.

Grandad1943 Sat 30-Mar-19 13:54:38

What is being witnessed is the right-wing takeover of the Conservative party. Ukip is now in the hands of former members of the English defence league, and they are now extending their influence into the Conservative party.

The problem for "traditional Conservative party members" is that with such small memberships as many of the Constituency parties have, a "takeover" by extream right-wing people is easily carried out.

All that needs to be done is to get a number of the above people to register as new members of a Constituency party, which can be as few as ten or twelve. They then all turn up at the regular party meeting and push a motion of no confidence in the management committee.

That carried, they then nominate for a new Chairman, Secretary and other officials and they are then elected from within the radical new faction.

When only a few members turn up for regular meetings, the above is very easily carried out.

Beckett Sat 30-Mar-19 14:57:31

Obviously taking a leaf out of Momentum's playbook

Cosmos Sat 30-Mar-19 15:05:34

Here here, Umstonegran. We should get rid of the lot who won't support a dignified and unified Brexit. I hope they have a vote on mine, I would have him be signing on. I'm ashamed of the lot of them. I doubt they can tie their own shoe laces the imcompetent shower.

Grandad1943 Sat 30-Mar-19 15:16:44

Beckett Quote [Obviously taking a leaf out of Momentum's playbook] End Quote.

Obviously Beckett. That was how grassroots trade union and Momentum members got control of the Labour party from the Blairites that controlled the Constituency and District parties.

The difference is/was, that those which took over the Labour party Constituency and District parties were already in the main affiliated members through their trade unions.

However, those that are gaining control of the Conservative party have never previously had any connection with that movement.

jura2 Sat 30-Mar-19 15:43:02

Exactly grandad. How rude to call Anna 'Sodbury', crappyone.

Grandad1943 Sat 30-Mar-19 15:58:42

jura2 Quote [Exactly grandad. How rude to call Anna Sodbury', crappyone.] End Quote

jura2, if you check back through this thread you will find I have not stated anything about Anna Sodbury, or anyone else.

An apology might be in order, I believe

Beammeupscottie Sat 30-Mar-19 16:06:09

So, are we saying that anyone who votes Conservative in the next Election is voting for a party that is moving closer to Ukip? Towards strict Brexit views. That means that I (a mostly Con. Voter) will have no political home because if I catch one whiff of extreme right wing views from the Tories, I am off. Would prefer Corbyn.

Grandad1943 Sat 30-Mar-19 16:19:01

Beammeupscottie, that means anyone who votes for the Conservative party at the next election is voting for a party that is moving closer to Tommy Robinson and his views.

The media have called it the "Ukipization" of the Tory party. In that Tommy Robinson has stated that his ambition is to become an accepted member of the Conservative party.

Beammeupscottie Sat 30-Mar-19 16:27:33

This is dangerous for the Tories because if someone like me is giving Corbyn a second look, they are in trouble. I prefer a middle ground but if I have to swing Right or Left it will be Left.

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:03:00

Now are you sure Beaconsfield voted Leave?
That's an interesting question jura

Our MP is in favour of Brexit with a deal and has been castigated by some constituents for not representing the majority who voted remain here.
However, although our Local Authority area voted remain, his constituency actually comprises the whole of another LA area which voted overwhelmingly to leave and he only represents part of our LA area anyway.

It would be difficult, therefore, to calculate exactly whether his constituency voted to remain or leave as, in the LA areas which he represents, the votes were so conflicting.
That is how he has explained it anyway.

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:18:24

The Conservative association in his Beaconsfield constituency said it no longer had confidence in the former attorney general after he put his case to members at a meeting last night.
Urmston

Dominic Grieve gained 55.4% of the vote in the last general election - way in front of the Lib Dem and Labour candidates at around 20% each and UKIP on 4.8%.

These de-selections and threatened de-selections beg the question - do these constituency associations, in this case the Conservative association in Beaconsfield, think they know better than all the constituents who voted for their preferred candidates in the General Election? Do they have too much power?
That goes for all parties btw.

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:20:24

The media have called it the "Ukipization" of the Tory party
Grandad - I don't understand it at all - as I said in my post above UKIP gained only 4.8% in Beaconsfield.
What do they think they're doing there?

jura2 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:26:24

No, no Grandad, I was agreeing with your previous post.

And then commenting on the amazing rudeness by another poster who called Anna 'Sodbury'.

Beckett Sat 30-Mar-19 17:29:53

Grandad - did not the Labour party "encourage" people to join by giving cheap membership - and then used the Momentum members to attempt to deselect anyone who disagreed with Corbyn and his masters Momentum

maryeliza54 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:30:44

Ukipization means former members of UKIP joining the Tory party as is alleged to have happened in Beaconsfield. So a different group of members involved in no confidence vote than in 2017 reselection.

Dinahmo Sat 30-Mar-19 17:31:02

Sadly the Conservative party membership is small and elderly and so those who voted to deselect him are in the monority compared to the number of his constituents

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:31:33

Ah, I see, thank you

Dinahmo Sat 30-Mar-19 17:31:48

Apologies - typo should be minority (but perhaps my original comment is more accurate!)

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:32:43

That was to maryeliza, another post appeared in between.

MaizieD Sat 30-Mar-19 17:39:51

I think we're having a taste of the Ukipisation of the tory party on this thread with some extremely unpleasant things being said about some MPs because they favour Remain.

We are not a fascist state yet, where no-one is allowed to dissent from the 'party line', though some people seem to wish that we are.

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:44:28

Momentum took over the Labour Party, it seems that UKIP could be taking over the Conservatives - perhaps the newly formed Change UK Party will gain a lot more members.

Grandad1943 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:46:37

Yes, Beckett, the Labour party did offer reduced subscription fees to new members. However, real change in the Labour party came from grassroots activists in the trade union movement who were affiliated to the party through the broader Labour movement in the country.

They were at the base of the formation of Momentum, and many had also directly held longtime affiliation through their trade union branches in many District and Constituency Labour parties.

They became much more active and determined to bring about change when after twelve years of Blairite government those activists felt they had been totally ignored by that administration.

So, change was brought about starting at District and Constituency level, and the rest is now history.

The situation with the current infiltration of the Conservative party is I feel much different, and much more sinister.

Grandad1943 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:54:05

Jalima1108 Quote[ Momentum took over the Labour Party, it seems that UKIP could be taking over the Conservatives - perhaps the newly formed Change UK Party will gain a lot more members.] End Quote.

Jalima1108, I believe you could be correct in the above, but we have yet to see what those twelve very diverse politicians who make up the new Change Party have to agree on as basic policy of that party.

That is yet to be brought forward?

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Mar-19 17:55:43

Early Days - and if more join then it could take a while.

What a mess it all is.

maryeliza54 Sat 30-Mar-19 18:13:10

Don’t TIG support a (so-called) People’s Vote? They’ll need to be more than a one trick pony though