Gransnet forums

News & politics

Confirmatory Vote

(208 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-May-19 08:59:13

If an agreement on a WA is reached, and it is a big if, Starmer has said that Labour intends to put the final decision to the U.K.

Given that the vote for leave left wide open the way we left, and also given the fact that since the vote it has become all too clear how complicated, potentially damaging and divisive this is, then it seems to me that in order to prevent our democracy from being damaged even further than a confirmatory vote is the only way forward.

I am a strong remainer, and my preference is to revoke, but I realise that in order to begin to reach out to those who voted leave across this huge divide then a confirmatory vote is one of the best ways to firstly confirm that we are leaving - essential now that we are all aware of the facts- , and most importantly HOW we leave.

Mycatisahacker Mon 13-May-19 20:27:48

He’s not my cup of tea in the slightest but say it before and again patronising his supporters got us Brexit!

GabriellaG54 Mon 13-May-19 21:17:39

I really don't understand why certain remain voters on here pile in to rubbish those of us who want to leave. I certainly have never rubbished anyone's views re staying in the EU or their voting choices so I find it disturbing that some nastiness and barbed comments continue.
Discussion is healthy but some comments are really unworthy of being written by sensible mature (wo)men. There is no respect in many posts which argue against leaving.
It becomes rather like an assassination of characters and is a sad reflection on society when a political decision creates such disharmony and yes, even spiteful comments.
sad

GracesGranMK3 Mon 13-May-19 21:36:13

So think of the times in the past when someone has tried to assume a leadership position Gabriella, and some have seen them as evil people with evil intentions. If you had lived at that time, wouldn't you have wanted to be one of the people who spoke out against them and tried to show them up for what they were. History sometimes repeats itself and we all have to consider who and what we support or condemn.

Mycatisahacker Mon 13-May-19 21:45:54

evil people with evil intentions

So they want to leave the economic group known as the EU?

I have a box of grips please take one

Mycatisahacker Mon 13-May-19 21:46:21

Good grief drama queen

Urmstongran Mon 13-May-19 21:57:49

I was just thinking the same Mycat only you expressed it so much better!

Hyperbolic nonsense.
?

GracesGranMK3 Mon 13-May-19 22:03:19

I am sure you are not the first to say such a thing at a time like this Mycat. Hopefully we will never have to find out and this man will disappear back into obscurity.

Mycatisahacker Mon 13-May-19 23:00:42

urmstrongran

You put it perfectly well yourself grin

GracesGranMK3

I don’t dought you disagree with Nigel’s political beliefs but I think to use such dramatic language detracts from your ability to debate properly.

Mycatisahacker Mon 13-May-19 23:04:14

Whisper!!

He really isn’t either Hitler reincarnated or the anti christ just a political figure who wants Britain to leave the EU.

It really is as simple as that. By piling on the drama you make him far more important than he is.

crystaltipps Tue 14-May-19 03:03:52

He isn’t ‘“Just a political figure who wants to leave the EU” there’s plenty of those. He’s a populist demagogue. Interesting reading about his rallies- whipping people into a frenzy with his blatant lies , everyone chanting “NI-GEL”, singing football songs, the slogans lifted straight from Trump,, Anne Widdecombe’s shrill voice screeching at crowds of the mostly over 50s white people. He doesn’t have to answer awkward questions about the past, or indeed any future plans, just spout a load of soundbites to get everyone hysterical. Hideous and dangerous.

Urmstongran Tue 14-May-19 07:08:28

I think it’s the Remainers who seem more febrile.
?

MawBroonsback Tue 14-May-19 07:13:44

Mycatisahacker -you may think so but as Churchill said, “those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it”.

Urmstongran Tue 14-May-19 07:16:16

Which is why I shan’t be voting Conservative Maw!
??

MawBroonsback Tue 14-May-19 07:21:30

Me neither - but nor am I tempted by the likes of UKIP or the Brexit party.

Urmstongran Tue 14-May-19 08:12:26

Quite understood Maw
Each to their own!

Iam64 Tue 14-May-19 08:25:42

Whitewave, I'm another Remainer who has slowly, reluctantly reached the belief that a confirmatory vote is least worst for our country.
The way in which discussions on this site speedily deteriorate into what seems like name calling may just reflect the divisions in the country.

The referendum should never have happened but it did. The campaigns from both sides were dreadful, Leave because it was so dishonest, Remain because it was so inept. Jeremy Corbyn's contribution to that is something I won't forget, any more than I'll forget David Cameron's contribution. I was disappointed but content to accept the outcome but we're three years on and what a mess we're in. The public must be given the opportunity to contribute - let's be more cautious about the wording!

Mycatisahacker Tue 14-May-19 09:14:41

We never learn from history otherwise there would have been no wars or genecide since WW11 and there have been many examples of both.

Terrorists are more Vicious than they ever were and politics is more angry nasty and hateful then ever

So history just records events and teaches us nothing. Humans don’t learn or change.,

Iam64

Spot on post.

MaizieD Tue 14-May-19 09:25:07

Good post,(03:03:52) crystaltipps

Very worrying if people who appear to be thoughtful can't tell the difference between a populist rabble rousing demagogue and a run of the mill politician.

Grandad1943 Tue 14-May-19 09:44:47

Perhaps Brexit party supporters on this forum who feel they are treated in a patronising non-serious way should perhaps try persuading Farage (The Dear Leader) to act more responsibly and professionally in putting forward his at present non-existent policies.

In the above, he, without doubt, tries to conjure up an image of someone who can come up with all the answer to Britain's problems while leaning on a pub bar with pint in hand. He could also try answering real questions when put to him, instead of shouting down the interviewer in an attempt to divert away from those questions.

Farage always puts me in mind of a hark back to the 1980s "Medalion Man" those of whom became so disparaged, especially by women.

What Farage seems to be trying to cultivate is a "cult party" based around himself, that has no real political policies or answers to any of Britain's problems whether that be in regard to brexit or any other matter that affects this nation.

Sadly, as history has so often demonstrated, many can be taken in by these cult enterprises

Mycatisahacker Tue 14-May-19 09:51:25

Look someone mentioned learning lessons from history!

If both labour and Tory governments hadn’t dismissed patronised and belittled people’s legitimate concerns over immigration we wouldn’t have had Brexit.

That’s s fact acknowledged by all sides.

To now continue to partonise and belittle those same people for using a democratic vote to vote for a legitimate party ie the Brexit party is utterly counterproductive.

By all means go after Farrage policies but don’t patronise posters who vote for him.

Reasoned debate not name calling.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 14-May-19 09:55:12

Good post crystaltipps.

Iam I don't think there has been any name calling of members. If there had been then I am sure GNHQ would have done something about it very quickly. There has, however, been descriptive language used to show individual assessment of Farage, just as there has been, often, and for thread after thread about Cornyn. I don't remember you jumping in on those threads to decry the "name calling" and we have had to put up with the boring repetition of those for years.

I have to admit I am, personally, not keen on extremists or extremist policies. If you could show Cornyn, for example, was moving towards a form of authoritarian communism, I would call it out. So far, personally I see no evidence of the Labour Party moving in that direction. However, I not only said (and some may have agreed ?) how I see someone I believe to be dangerous, but also someone with fascist tendencies. I did not throw in the word lightly, as others often do with their criticism, I rechecked the academic literature on the definition, copied it, and quoted the source. Unlike many on here, I do not believe my opinion is equal to or better than that of an expert. I try to recognise and know what I don't know.

Perhaps, if others had been prepared to do that we would not be in the mess we are now.

Bridgeit Tue 14-May-19 09:57:08

I agree Granddad1943.

MawBroonsback Tue 14-May-19 10:05:26

Reasoned debate not name calling
Mycatisahacker could you please give one instance of “name calling” on this thread?

Urmstongran Tue 14-May-19 10:08:21

A confirmatory vote is now looking highly unlikely.

Mycatisahacker Tue 14-May-19 10:13:24

I think both main parties are just as much in the grip of the far right/far left forces and it’s worrying.

Farrage really says nothing worse than many ERG members and nothing worse then many hard left labour MPS.

We can all pick and choose our idea of radicalism.

I have no objection to anyone calling out political figures in the slightest that’s healthy debate but I don’t like snide labelling like ‘over 50 all white’ etc.

It’s really not helpful and comes across as sneery and nasty