The Brexit Party

(611 Posts)
Firecracker123 Tue 14-May-19 15:08:33

A Party Political Broadcast on behalf of The Brexit Party is on BBC1
tonight 18.55pm.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 09:58:42

And why do you assume I voted leave? smile

varian Mon 20-May-19 10:06:28

I don't assume how anyone voted but I do hope no-one who cares about honesty in politics would ever support liar Farage.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 10:09:36

True there is good and bad in everything and certainly in politics.

However this thread is entitled the Brexit Party, and I think that I can assume with reasonable confidence that if someone is not willing to engage with the issue under question, but instead engages in what iffery they are more than likely to support the political party being criticised.

winterwhite Mon 20-May-19 10:34:12

Interesting table in the 'i' this morning showing predicted support for all parties. Brett party on 34%, other Remain parties come to about 35%. The Brexit party is brand new and single issue; the Remain parties have long-standing individual identities and distinctive policies on global matters - would have been very difficult, practically, for them to have combined.

MaizieD Mon 20-May-19 10:48:27

Richard Murphy published this Jonathon Pie video on his blog this morning. I think it's a good analysis of what has contributed to the Brexit vote. The contract between the government and the governed has been broken.

We do need a new approach to our 'democracy' but an approach based on collaboration and consensus, not Farage's stirring up the masses against 'the establishment' in a way very reminiscent of the roots of the French and Russian revolutions. Both of these caused years of chaos and human misery. I'm sure nobody wants that for the UK.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2019/05/20/the-broken-contract-that-led-to-brexit/

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 11:29:49

More led by donkeys

mobile.twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1130414753535483905/photo/1

Urmstongran Mon 20-May-19 12:06:53

We now have a clear choice between the Brexit Party and a variety of establishment Remainer parties.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 12:16:23

Well to be fair the thread was just informing us that there was a party political broadcast by the Brexit party.

I just find it bizarre that people take such polarised and biased views.

Seriously people they all lie. Corbyn, Farrage ,May multiple times,

If you vote at all you are voting for a liar the only difference depends on the extent and the frequency of the lies.

So really you vote for the least worse option.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 12:21:29

If we assume that everybody in politics is lying or indeed corrupt, what on earth does that say about British politics?

Democracy is indeed being compromised.

Urmstongran Mon 20-May-19 12:23:07

This can’t be solved with a group hug. Someone will have to lose. Let’s accept that and move on.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 12:27:18

Well it depends on the extent of the lie. And I didn’t say corrupt that’s different.

It’s inevitable that politicians will lie at some point as we all do.

Again for me it’s the extent and the outcome of the lie which is balanced by the competence of the politician.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 12:28:08

Oh I don’t mind a group hug! grin

I never fall out over politics or religion. Neither are that important

lemongrove Mon 20-May-19 12:58:59

So many on GN are wedded to one political party and think that they can do no wrong!
What a naive attitude to politics.So the party they support always has to have excuses made for any mistakes/ wrong decisions/ etc.Only ‘their’ party can save the country and any others are all bad.
Over the last three years we have seen the general ineptitude, sheer arrogance and hubris shown by MP’s from all sides of the political spectrum.It has been a real eye opener to Joe Public.
If it comes to a choice in a GE between voting for Johnson or Corbyn I shall spoil my ballot paper.

lemongrove Mon 20-May-19 13:00:14

Mycat well said.?????

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 13:09:54

lemongrove

Completely agree with you.

See and I am not trying to be patronising here but you understand unbridled faith in the young, like worshipping a pop star, but on gransnet you kind of expect more objectivity and dare I say cynicism born of experience.

I just don’t get the passion for the very mediocre Corbyn,in particularor Farrage or Johnson come to that.

Most parties have a range of both good and not so good policies and no party can claim the moral high ground.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 13:14:21

Surely the point is that we don’t vote for the person, but we should vote for our preferred policies?

So if someone is supporting a particular person, we can surely assume that it is the policies of the political party that they are supporting?

MaizieD Mon 20-May-19 13:33:53

So no-one has watched the video then?
Not interested in solutions to the failure of our party system and government which has brought us to where we are today. I put it on this thread because the Brexit party most obviously isn't taking the right route to solving our problems.
Perhaps I should start a new thread?

Nonnie Mon 20-May-19 14:02:26

I'm another with no party loyalty. I have even been known to write I ABSTAIN on the paper when I couldn't support any of them and now it is all worse. That's why I keep asking leavers to persuade me why I should vote with them.

Grany Mon 20-May-19 14:02:49

twitter.com/MollyMEP/status/1130443238622552065?s=20

Nonnie Mon 20-May-19 15:06:48

Just heard on the news that the Electoral Commission is going into the Brexit party tomorrow to investigate where the funds came from. I don't understand they give advance warning.

jura2 Mon 20-May-19 15:10:28

me neither ;) why?

Nonnie Mon 20-May-19 15:18:46

It feels like they are being given the chance to cover up (if there is anything to cover)

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 15:27:21

Is it another conspiracy though or just fake news grin

But Nonnie the country is about far more than Brexit surely we have far worse problems that are not being addressed

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 15:28:03

maizie yes I did, but in next door admiring the new baby and having a cup of tea?

So I think what he is talking about is the idea that the government has broken the social contract by their failure to deal with taxes collected fairly.

He reflects Rousseau’s social contact which maintains that the state is not perceived to be legitimate by the population if they feel the state is acting unfairly and in the interests of a particular class (the elite).
This the chap argues is why people voted for Brexit in such numbers. In fact you can see that in many of the comments on GN.

I tend to agree with this theory, but Brexit with the hard right will never be the answer to those who voted in the hope that life will get better. It won’t, it will get worse if people like Johnson, Rees Mogg and Farage are in power post Brexit.

varian Mon 20-May-19 15:28:33

If you have any regard for our NHS, before you even consider voting for the Brexit Party, PLEASE spend a few minutes watching this video

www.facebook.com/ben.pitt.x/videos/10157446520313627/UzpfSTY4MzI4NzA2NDoxMDE1NzI2NTUxODAwNzA2NQ/