Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Brexit Party

(611 Posts)
Firecracker123 Tue 14-May-19 15:08:33

A Party Political Broadcast on behalf of The Brexit Party is on BBC1
tonight 18.55pm.

Firecracker123 Tue 21-May-19 15:12:04

Think what you like GracesGran it doesn't bother me The Brexit Party will sweep the board on Thursday.

Firecracker123 Tue 21-May-19 15:18:15

Another saying for you by Michelle Obama "when they go low, we go higher"

Although I can't agree with her husband who said we would go to the back of the queue if we voted leave, cheek of the man.

MaizieD Tue 21-May-19 17:37:52

I've googled it Firecracker.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36149789

It doesn't look like bribery, corruption or snouts in the trough. It looks like the BBC accessing a legitimate source of money for things unrelated to their actual programmes.

I see that the Pro Brexit media tried to make a bit of a song and dance about it at the time but as so called 'bribes' go it was rather pathetic amounts...

Firecracker123 Tue 21-May-19 17:40:21

Whatever way you look at it the BBC and Channel 4 are benefiting from EU money and so by definition are bias.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-May-19 17:46:16

That’s a big jump fire

So would you say the BBCis biased in favour of the Tories?

crystaltipps Tue 21-May-19 17:49:47

The BBC receive money from the EU...?.....so does Nigel, he’s on The BBC all the time.

crystaltipps Tue 21-May-19 17:50:41

Nigel hasn’t turned down EU money , expenses etc has he?

varian Tue 21-May-19 18:02:26

Resurfaced video shows Farage bragging about how much money he earns as an MEP

www.indy100.com/article/nigel-farage-brexit-party-mep-salary-video-european-elections-8916196

GillT57 Tue 21-May-19 18:02:59

This pathetic support for Farage and his Brexit "party" just won't be stopped by stupid things like facts varian and ww2, there is none so blind as she who will not see. Also, while I can understand why many are swayed by Farage and his clever double speak, I seriously worry about any woman, parent or grandparent who votes for the loathsome Widdecombe, are you so desperate for Brexit that you will give this vicious bigotted woman a platform?

varian Tue 21-May-19 18:05:40

This is what is really scary. Our national politics seems to have descended into a fact-free zone.

GillT57 Tue 21-May-19 19:42:35

Indeed varian. In the words of Trump, it is all 'fake noos'. Some people are losing perspective and rational thought. Widdecombe is a monster and unfit for public office.

Firecracker123 Tue 21-May-19 20:49:34

Good grief I think it's you losing perspective and rational thought.

Packed Brexit Party rally tonight in London and over 8,000 watching live on Facebook and this for a party only 5 weeks old.

Urmstongran Tue 21-May-19 21:18:38

Well listened just now to Nigel Farage on Sky news (9pm).

He said 7 hours of investigating the Brexit Party offices haven’t found anything untoward.

So - fake news people?

Move along, nothing to see here.....

???

GillT57 Tue 21-May-19 21:36:17

I rest my case.

Urmstongran Tue 21-May-19 21:43:04

And I rest mine.
?

The powers that be hoped to find wrong doing. The Remainers on here fervently hoped so too.

Sorry! Fake news indeed.

Good luck voting Thursday everyone. NF party is squeaky clean.
?

Friday morning will be very interesting!

Urmstongran Tue 21-May-19 21:56:41

People’s Vote campaigners have spent the last few days frothing at the mouth over the Brexit Party’s £25 donations, to the extent that the sycophantic Electoral Commission have dropped everything to go and physically investigate its offices today.

So naturally you’d expect the People’s Vote campaign to have the highest standards for donations to its own “European elections battle fund”.

They’ve set their limit at £499 – £1 under the limit – and then literally told their supporters that it’s a deliberate move to avoid them having to check individual donors!

Hypocrisy in politics is nothing new but this is on another level. We eagerly await the Electoral Commission hot-footing it down to People’s Vote HQ tomorrow to check their donations too…
?

crystaltipps Tue 21-May-19 22:08:52

He would say that wouldn’t he...
Last week, Channel 4 revealed Farage was generously funded by Arron Banks in the year of the Brexit referendum. Invoices, emails and documents showed Farage benefited from a £13,000-a-month Chelsea home, a car with a driver, and promotional visits to the US in 2016.

MaizieD Tue 21-May-19 22:10:32

Not quite out of the wood yet, Ug

From the EC's statement:

"We have not seen evidence of electoral offences, but the law in this area is complex and we want to satisfy ourselves that the Party’s systems are robust."

Looks as though they are continuing investigations

Bridgeit Tue 21-May-19 22:13:54

I agree with the -squeaky -but definitely not the -clean -

Urmstongran Tue 21-May-19 22:17:31

Hahaha! MaizieD keep digging.

These agencies know what they are looking for. A whole team, 7 hours yet nada?

Yippee!

I’m a happy bunny tonight. 24 hours till voting...

Bring it on!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-May-19 09:10:03

No urm quite the opposite in fact.
The BP is the only group who failed to produce evidence of the origin of the donations through either pay pal or anything else.

They most certainly are not out of the wood, because until they insist on obtaining the origin of the money they can never insist it is all above board.

The stink of corruption remains and is ever stronger.

Grandad1943 Wed 22-May-19 09:29:17

Urmstongran, Quote [ I’m a happy bunny tonight. 24 hours till voting...Bring it on!] End Quote

Urmstongran, I hate to break your excitement, but these elections will change nothing as they are only for the European Parliament. It is the only the Westminster Parliament that can bring about any change to the Brexit debacle that this Tory Government has brought to the door of everyone that resides in Britain.

Yesterday we were informed that twenty-four thousand jobs are under severe threat at British Steel due to the uncertainties brought about by Brexit. However, Nigel Farage or anyone from the Brexit party has not seen fit to comment on the situation that all those employees face. Perhaps they see those persons as just "collateral damage" in Britain "taking back control."

So, perhaps Urmstongran you or someone else who supports the one man Farage party can say something on this forum to all those who are facing unemployment at British Steel and its suppliers?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-May-19 09:59:50

Britains most garlanded authors, including John lr Carre, Robert Harris and Philip Pullman have asked the question.

If you are willing to vote for Brexit. You have to ask yourselves

“What am I willing to lose”

They go on to argue that your vote should be used to support Europe unless you are clear what you are choosing to lose, for yourself and everyone you know and are happy with the loss.

Al the advocates seem to be able to assure us is that brexit won’t be as bad as the last war, and nothing else.

varian Wed 22-May-19 11:04:19

British Steel to enter insolvency, putting 5,000 UK jobs directly at risk and a further 20,000 in the supply chain

twitter.com/BBCBreaking?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

This cannot be unrelated to the loss of jobs in the automotive and aerospace industries we have seen since the referendum.

Grandad1943 Wed 22-May-19 11:17:55

Just looked back into the forum while at work and again I see that the Brexitiers on the site have yet
again gone very quiet when asked a prevalent question.

Now, why am I not surprised at that?

See you later.