Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Brexit Party

(611 Posts)
Firecracker123 Tue 14-May-19 15:08:33

A Party Political Broadcast on behalf of The Brexit Party is on BBC1
tonight 18.55pm.

varian Thu 23-May-19 07:08:05

I have never heard anyone on the remain side of the argument say that all those who voted leave at "thick, racist, ignorant". Never. What I have heard, time and time again is liar Farage and his cronies make that a duration to whip up outrage. He has said it so many times perhaps he believes it himself, but it doesn't make it true.

varian Thu 23-May-19 07:10:03

That assertion ( not duration ) - phone taking over again

GracesGranMK3 Thu 23-May-19 07:26:01

I agree, Varian. It is actually leave voters who are talking up this idea that this is how they have been described. I suppose, when this debacle is history the truth of this may come out about this lie, as well as many others, but what damage votes based on lies will have done to the country by then, heaven only knows.

Alima Thu 23-May-19 07:27:59

Do we only see/hear what we want to see/hear? Maybe I should add blinkered to the list.

Kandinsky Thu 23-May-19 07:29:55

You clearly don’t post on Mumsnet as well as gransnet.
I’ve lost count of the insults thrown at leavers, yes, actually calling leavers thick racists.
Maybe you’re in a little bubble on here?
But from my experience, remain voters are absolutely vile towards leavers.

crystaltipps Thu 23-May-19 07:34:45

Nothing like sweeping generalisations is there?

GracesGranMK3 Thu 23-May-19 07:37:43

Having got an impression of the sort of person you are Gabriella I too would probably be telling you what you want to hear, knowing you cannot be there when I make my vote. I would be very suspicious of a family where no one openly dissents.

lemongrove Thu 23-May-19 07:38:51

?????? Alima
The breathtaking assertions by some remainers on GN that
There have been no insults chucked around by calling leavers thick or racist ( or both) is staggering.
It has been stated many times on Brexit threads, and you only need to trawl back to see them.
They usually say something along the lines of ‘ oh, I realise that not every single leaver is thick blah blah’ or ‘experts have proved that most leavers had little education blah blah’.
I know that GN is better than most forums, but even so, to say you have ‘seen nothing’ is quite ridiculous.

lemongrove Thu 23-May-19 07:39:57

Good post Gabriella ?

lemongrove Thu 23-May-19 07:42:23

Am hoping that when we leave the EU this year that GN can get back to it’s usual self.?

MaizieD Thu 23-May-19 07:46:22

At least Remainers don't call Leavers 'treacherous scum', 'traitors' etc. Nor do they issue death and rape threats to prominent female Leavers (I think it would have been all over the RW media if they had)...

GracesGranMK3 Thu 23-May-19 07:47:46

I do go on mumsnet Kandinsky an see how both side talk about one another. I also visit a forum for older people where disagreeing with Brexit, St Nigel, etc is simply not allowed - very right wing. They are neither thick or stupid but the are in the "less educated" demographic that is bound to be true of older voters overall, which is what showed up in the voting statistics.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 23-May-19 07:50:39

More spiteful, personal remarks from those who can't manage to discuss the actual political points then Lemongrove. It's never gone away.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-May-19 07:51:41

Don’t forget folks, every vote for a party other than Farage is a vote against hate, violence, lies and for democracy.

Kandinsky Thu 23-May-19 07:59:40

GracesGranMK3

Why do you continue to argue with leavers 3 years on?
Demanding they give you answers?
Not you personally, but remainers in general?
No leaver is ever going to say anything to change your mind about brexit so why do you bother?

lemongrove Thu 23-May-19 08:01:09

Maizie this is talking about what has been said on GN, not anywhere else.
Leavers on here have not called Remainers ‘treacherous scum’ etc.No point discussing what is said elsewhere as it has no bearing on GN.

Firecracker123 Thu 23-May-19 08:06:15

Kandinsky because they can't accept the referendum vote and then they talk about democracy.

GillT57 Thu 23-May-19 08:16:44

I find the bleating about democracy from leaver mp's and gn members a bit ironic. Members of the ERG group are trying to change their own party rules to get rid of their democratically elected leader and replace her with one who will do what they want. Also, just a quick reminder that 17.4m out of 66m is not a massive vote for Brexit. I know this figure is old ground but the stark reality needs brought to the fore again sometimes.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-May-19 08:26:00

If as is suspected the Brexit Party do well, what then?

Elvive Thu 23-May-19 09:42:26

Put fingers in ears and sing Rule Britannia.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-May-19 09:44:12

Here

pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/1131461326319050752/pu/img/ZgISBtVEkerlJrGv?format=jpg&name=900x900

MaizieD Thu 23-May-19 10:00:32

If as is suspected the Brexit Party do well, what then?

Start stockpiling...

Get in a good supply of milkshakes to keep the marauding BP supporters at bay when they discover that far from being led into into the land of cakes and honey they've been given bread and water...

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-May-19 10:18:58

True maize

GabriellaG54 Thu 23-May-19 10:41:55

My family live nowhere near me more than 100 miles from each other and we certainly don't live in each other's pockets as do some families on here.
I'm not on Twitter Facebook Instagram or Snapchat etc and I've never asked them or talked about their religion or politics, however two of my GC and their husbands did have a WhatsApp chat with the others in the round and that conversation was relayed to me in an ordinary catch-up conversation.
I have no axe to grind with remainers or indeed with anyone, as everyone has their own ideals and views as I have mine. We are all sisters under the skin, somme-nous-pas?

GabriellaG54 Thu 23-May-19 10:48:49

I'm not bothered by anyone having suspicions re most of my family (bar 1 who isn't old enough to vote) voti g in the same way. I have zero influence over them, nor would I want any. I brought them up to be independent, hard working, moral individuals whose future lay in their own hands when they turned 16 and started work.
They have not let themselves down.