Gransnet forums

News & politics

WTO rules - how many have spent time studying what it really means?

(99 Posts)
jura2 Wed 15-May-19 18:48:52

Just wondering what you think will happen if we go out with 'No Deal' on WTO rules.

MaizieD Fri 17-May-19 12:03:04

In the event that it does happen or is going to happen, that would be the time to read about it, although we could do sod all to change anything anyway

Well, those who think that Nige is the Messiah could do something about it now. They could stop supporting him. The numbers supporting him just give encouragement to the 'no deal' loons.

I only have a limited idea of what it would involve but I trust our elected government to keep us safe and look after our interests.

I'm sorry, but why on earth are you following Nige, who will support no deal, if you don't understand the full implications?

Urmstongran Fri 17-May-19 12:09:43

Might try to come up with something MaizieD

Over 400 Remainer Mp’s in the HoC out of 650
One Brexiteer PM

Who knows? Allegiances change.

crystaltipps Fri 17-May-19 12:16:42

There is a reason why most MPs and civil servants believe that staying in the EU is more beneficial than a disastrous exit. They’re mostly reasonably well educated and have some working knowledge of the implications. Unlike the majority of the electorate.

lemongrove Fri 17-May-19 12:20:05

......and changing things means a lot of hard work for them all, which could have a bearing on their thinking!

Nonnie Fri 17-May-19 12:28:43

I am surprised that anyone has faith in our government, especially those who think we should already have left the EU.

I'm also surprised that anyone with life experience would accept a totally different system without checking the implications.

crystaltipps Fri 17-May-19 12:50:03

Changing things hard work? Or just reinventing the wheel?

Urmstongran Fri 17-May-19 12:54:40

Well I for one was prepared (at one stage) to hope TM’s deal got voted for. Yes, it seemed to be a fudge and no I wasn’t happy with it. But it did seem to be a compromise (a good litmus test was that neither Remain nor Leave liked it which to my mind demonstrated a compromise - neither side felt they had ‘won) and we have stymied since then.

Now? I just want out. I don’t much care how. WTO will do. I think this is looking more likely anyway in my opinion.

jura2 Fri 17-May-19 12:59:01

WTO will not do- if you have no access to WTO, if WTO is ruled by unelected bureaucrats in Geneva, and need the approval of 164 countries who will be able to set quotas and tariffs. Will it do - really?

jura2 Fri 17-May-19 13:02:54

Urmstongran 'I suppose I could buckle down and read up on it but I don’t want to.'

sorry but sort of comment makes me want to tear my hair, heart and guts to pieces. And then you and other Leavers say 'oh but we know exactly what we are voting for- so please don't call us ignorant and be condescending' aaarrrggghhhh

Urmstongran Fri 17-May-19 13:09:42

Sorry jura2 I don’t mean to be infuriating.

It’s just how I feel about it all right now. I think 3 years thinking, talking and reading a lot (but not comprehensively enough obviously) has sucked the euphoria out of the joy I felt at the referendum result.

We may Brexit. I think we will. But if we don’t I will just carry on with my life.
❤️

MaizieD Fri 17-May-19 13:15:47

I'm with you, jura grin

Urmstongran Fri 17-May-19 13:19:11

Thought you would be MaizieD
?

crystaltipps Fri 17-May-19 13:23:05

It was always going to be a mess. Now it’s an even worse mess.
-I want Brexit
-why?
- because we voted for it
- why? How will you benefit? How will your life improve?
- don’t know, don’t care, just want Brexit.

Urmstongran Fri 17-May-19 13:28:18

No crystaltipps

Several Leavers have spent time explaining why we want (and voted) to Leave. It’s just tiresome going over the old ground any longer - the pros & cons have been debated to death.

In my opinion it’s time to move on with the ‘how’.

yggdrasil Fri 17-May-19 13:28:57

Urmston: but I trust our elected government to keep us safe and look after our interests.

You have a lot more faith in those self seeking b******s than I have. I have seen precious little proof of that over the last 10 years angry

jura2 Fri 17-May-19 14:01:31

Move on with the 'how' - this I can agree with- until you say that you can't be bothered to understand what 'how' aka WTO means !?!

GrandmaKT Fri 17-May-19 14:17:44

Urmstongran - how on earth can you say you trust our elected government to look after our interests when you have said many times how disappointed and let-down you feel by that same government in not getting through Brexit?
I despair at the thought of this shower (or the opposition) attempting to negotiate trade deals. The hard work of being independent from the EU hasn't even begun to be started! May's 'deal' isn't even a deal at all, it just lays out what will happen in the interim before we leave. At this rate there won't even be any interim and we will all be up s* creek without a plan or a paddle!

Greta Fri 17-May-19 14:23:56

There is no doubt that the general public is frustrated and angry at the present dead-lock and endless procrastination. Statements such as ”just get out/I don't care what happens, we should just leave” etc are now very common. However, to stop caring and vote for any kind of deal/no deal as long as we 'deliver Brexit' would be sheer madness. We have had three years of uncertainty and paralysis but I fear the years ahead could be even worse. We will have to pick up the pieces.

quizqueen Fri 17-May-19 14:36:30

I really don't know how the rest of the world copes without being in the EU. Poor dears!!!!!!!

Firecracker123 Fri 17-May-19 14:54:07

I agree quizqueen.

varian Fri 17-May-19 15:02:54

You are so right Greta. Unless we can stop brexit, the future looks bleak, but you can be sure those who still believe the leave liars will still blame the EU.

GabriellaG54 Fri 17-May-19 15:29:35

What a lot of sour pusses you remainers are.
There is nothing pleasant about your remarks at all. IMV, you come on GN to tear to shreds anyone who thinks differently and who sticks to their opinions.
As far as I'm concerned, my vote is as weighty as yours and I have no wish to explain my reasons or whether I have any reasons at all.
I might just like the cut of Nigel Farage's suits.
It makes no difference what the reason, I just want out, any which way.
We managed before and we will again.
Remainers are part of the chorus (but very out of tune ??) which protest at our importing goods from the EU. They, as do others, whine about Made in Britain being a thing of the past and want us to buy British.
We have more of a chance by captaining our own boat instead of the EU having their hand on the tiller.
2020 will be a great turning point and a year to remember.
Throw all the brickbats you like, they're wasted on me as I'll just be laughing at your impotence.

varian Fri 17-May-19 16:17:34

Liking the cut of Farage's suits is probably one of the better reasons for supporting him. We've all heard plenty of ridiculous reasons /excuses for the leave vote - from "my sister says there are too many Somalis in Bristol" to "these b-----y furriners didn't vote for us in the Eurovision Song Contest" (I can vouch for both of these). It might be funny if it wasn't so dangerous.

As for "What a lot of sourpusses you remainers are" and "I'll just be laughing at your impotence" - how could anyone say such a thing and not realise that it reflects very badly on them? Words fail me!

Nonnie Fri 17-May-19 16:18:49

Urmston I totally agree with you that if Brexit doesn't happen you will just get on with your life. You will because it won't change. However it will be more difficult for many if we do leave. Some will lose their jobs, some won't be able to afford the things they currently can. Some will find travel more difficult and more expensive. It is likely the £ will fall further thus making many things more expensive for people who can't afford it. I will be OK but many of the next generation and the ones below won't be.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-May-19 16:46:13

WTO means of course negotiating hundreds of trade deals. Given the total pigs ear and incompetence this government has displayed over the past couple of years in negotiating with the EU, and watching how the EU has run circles around us with their superior negotiators, I don’t give the Tories - supposedly the government of business - a cat in hells chance with the mighty USA, China, India, Australia
etc etc.

We do not have the expertise to carry these negotiations out.