Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince William and Mental health

(34 Posts)
Resurgam123 Mon 20-May-19 00:09:14

I thought that Prince William and the other contributers in tonight's interview about Mental Health was very good .

A prince being as open as he was is something of a British miracle. Whatever you think about the monarchy PW is a breath of fresh air.

rosecarmel Mon 20-May-19 02:06:49

I've not watched the program (I'm in the US) but read articles outlining what he and others shared- And think it's admirable and compassionate of him to speak candidly about navigating the emotional episodes in his life- He's inspiring-

BradfordLass72 Mon 20-May-19 03:22:38

The Royal family have, in the past , had several people with mental problems and handicaps, some even institutionalised.
Princess Margaret was pushed into severe mental instability and (probably) alcoholism as a result of being hog-tied to protocol, not unlike Princess Diana.

SisterAct Mon 20-May-19 06:47:23

An excellent programme

Iam64 Mon 20-May-19 07:49:23

A good programme, very moving. I was impressed by Peter Crouch and by Danny Rose. Mental Health Awareness Week has been excellent.

Sussexborn Mon 20-May-19 16:25:26

An excellent and really informative programme dispelling so many myths about depression being a sign of weakness. Well done to all who participated knowingly opening themselves up to nasty minded trolls. William will save the monarchy his father came so close to destroying. Bet that p****s off the Republicans.

Anniebach Mon 20-May-19 16:31:33

It was interesting hearing men speak openly. William is restricted in what he can speak of.

gillybob Mon 20-May-19 16:51:28

I didn’t watch it but as Annie has said I doubt William would have been able to be completely open and honest .

What about ordinary people ? What help is available to them ? Not a lot if you haven’t got money .

Anniebach Mon 20-May-19 17:06:23

I am, curious, which members of the royal family were institutionalised, and being handicapped has nothing to do with mental illness . Not that I know of a Windsor who was handicapped

TerriBull Mon 20-May-19 17:25:40

Annie, I think one of the Queen's cousins on the Bowes-Lyon side, so not really royal, was handicapped and institutionalised in an asylum in Surrey, I grew up in that county, I think I remember hearing about it. Also Prince John youngest son of George V and Queen Mary was hidden away somewhere because he was also handicapped.

SueDonim Mon 20-May-19 17:31:43

Princess Alice of Battenberg spent time in a sanatorium after being diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Prince John was disabled due to epilepsy although he was cared for at home, not in an institution.

The Duchess of Kent suffered severe MH difficulties after a stillbirth. She was hospitalised for 'nervous strain'.

The royal family are no more immune to MH problems than anyone else.

Sussexborn Mon 20-May-19 17:47:41

There were rumours when I worked nearby that a member of the royal family was living in Ticehurst House a home for people with mental health issues.

My cousin was put under enormous pressure to put her daughter in ‘care’ and for various reasons eventually had to accept this.

Society at that time preferred that people with mental health issues be put away out of sight. My cousin was told to forget about her DD but they continued to visit until DD died in her thirties.

Somethings are infinitely better than they used to be.

Anniebach Mon 20-May-19 17:50:53

The queen mothers nieces, daughters of her brother ,are not royal in anyway, a still birth causes grief, if we are to include grief as a mental illness then nearly the entire family suffered mental illness .

William is not likely to speak of his great grandmother, he wouldn’t speak of his mother’s mental illness which may help youngsters who have a parent with mental illness or young girls who have an eating disorder as did his mother ,

SueDonim Mon 20-May-19 18:01:36

People react different, Anniebach to such events as a stillbirth. I know women who have endured such an event and also cot death/SIDS. Everyone reacts differently. Some have picked up the pieces and resumed their 'normal' lives very quickly - indeed they have been condemned for being unfeeling because they have reacted that way - while other women I know have never recovered from the blow and to this day still need MH support, many years later.

Anniebach Mon 20-May-19 18:09:05

I know SueDonim I had two still births . But bringing William’s grandmother’s cousins wife, his g grandmother,
his g g uncle, his g grandmothers, brothers daughters into it is stretching things .

TerriBull Mon 20-May-19 18:15:39

I grew up in a town with quite a few mental asylums, all closed now and turned into housing estates. However, in retrospect it makes me feel sad that, we, the young people of the town, knew so little about those who were incarcerated in such places when we were youngsters. Some were ex soldiers and the like, suffering from shell shock. I became aware of them as did my peers, whilst still at school in the '60s, so it's quite possible some of the men were veterans of the 1st World War and probably really suffered. They were harmless and were therefore often seen around the town.

A friend's mother was a psychiatric nurse, she told us that young girls not so long ago could be incarcerated for becoming pregnant outside marriage, probably at the behest of their family, because they were deemed wayward and unbalanced to allow that to happen so they would be in those places for years, for nothing really. That information resonated with me when I read a book called "The Disappearance of Esme Leonard" which was about such a young woman. An excellent and disturbing read.

maryeliza54 Mon 20-May-19 18:35:52

I was involved when the closure of all the large scale institutions for the ‘mentally handicapped’ and the ‘psychiatric’ hospitals was happening in the 1990s in the Epsom cluster. The remaining niece of the QM was still in one of them ( the other died in the 1960s). Yes there were women who had been incarcerated in the 1930s for having babies ‘outside of wedlock’. I came across some very sad and disturbing, heartbreaking stories. It was an incredible project to be involved in as they were moved into small homes in the community.

whywhywhy Mon 20-May-19 18:39:02

He is a fantastic role model and an inspiration and I am sure he will make a brilliant King in the future. Both William and Harry had to go through so much when they were young that it is amazing just how well they have both turned out. I will always be a fan and I used to like to see Diana as well. She was treat so terribly.

SueDonim Mon 20-May-19 18:43:38

I am aware of your history, Annie and am so sorry you lost your babies. flowers

You did ask about the royal family and those people are/were royal so they fit the criteria you mentioned. Given the stigma that still surrounds MH (if there was no stigma. this campaign wouldn't be needed) it's not likely we would have heard much about anyone in the royal family who had MH issues.

You can imagine the response that would get from some people - 'what does he/she have to be depressed about, with all their palaces, servants and money?'.

Anniebach Mon 20-May-19 18:56:53

Sue only two were royals , who would ask that of a child who had epilepsy ? The names posted with the exception of Katherine Kent didn’t suffer depression.

SueDonim Mon 20-May-19 19:04:26

Who would ask what of a child with epilepsy? I don't understand what you're saying.

I really don't think it matters whether the royal family has much experience of MH issues, (although it's highly unlikely they know no one who has suffered in this way). They can still empathise and get involved.

Sussexborn Mon 20-May-19 19:05:32

William mentioned his mother but spoke mostly about his own depression linked to bereavement and not realising that what he felt was normal and to be expected under the circumstances.

The programme came about because there has been a big spike in the number of young male suicides and the lack of knowledge about the Samaritans and other charities that have been set up to help.

I really felt sorry for Peter Crouch who was harangued by “fans” for his size and looks from his early teenage years. He said that he was always self conscious about his looks and used to laugh along with the crowd at the really cruel football chants but he was crying inside. No amount of fame or wealth makes up for the agony he felt.

Iam64 Mon 20-May-19 19:11:28

I agree Sussexborn, with your sympathy for Peter Crouch. He's a brilliant footballer and I admired the way he spoke honestly about how hard it was to be subject to what fans would no doubt call "banter". In the programme he spoke mostly about his distress because he knew his mum would be weeping at the abuse he was being subjected to whilst playing for his country.
Young men are still the largest group where suicide is likely. It was good to see famous men in their twenties and thirties talking about their own struggles.
William was not there to talk about his mother's eating disorder or the anxiety and depression she experienced. He was asked to talk about his own struggles and that he did, with great honesty. Naming the impact on first responders is something I'll always thank him for.

Anniebach Mon 20-May-19 19:12:38

Sue the royals knew people with mental health problems, the Queen’s father for one, and Diana.

Anniebach Mon 20-May-19 19:14:17

I so agree about Peter Crouch , felt tearful