Gransnet forums

News & politics

Banning milkshakes to save Farage

(304 Posts)
trisher Mon 20-May-19 15:56:03

Well Newcastle got him today but police in Edinburgh asked McDonald's not to sell milkshakes whilst he was there. What do you think? Is he fair game? Is it OK to target right wing politicians? Or should milkshakes be banned?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-48339711?

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 17:08:11

Of course!!

What on Earth would you expect posters to do?

jura2 Mon 20-May-19 17:08:52

I abhor the man and all he stands for - but I totally disagree with throwing things at people, milkshake or otherwise- and have spent much of this rainy day distancing myself from people who think it is 'funny' or appropriate.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 17:10:11

Quite so jura

Urmstongran Mon 20-May-19 17:21:41

Indeed jura2

Lily65 Mon 20-May-19 17:23:22

Own your views........Ok here they are. I think he is a disgrace, I think its a disgrace that Cameron toyed with this country and walked away from the ensuing mess. I think there are some very serious and worrying parallels to events in history. A divided country, immigrants scapegoated, weak and corrupt politicians and an opportunist who knows how to play the crowd. Said opportunist aligned himself with a vile racist named Yaxley Lennon who was attacked by somebody throwing a milkshake. Fanned by social media, this has now become " a thing".

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 17:26:08

I don't like Farage, but it's just wrong to throw anything at someone - anyone - going about their own business. Pathetic.

maryeliza54 Mon 20-May-19 17:28:19

Well lemon you’ve really changed your tune since the AS thread where you stated that politicians should grow a thick skin and the jostling by the burly louts she was subject to was not a crime and that anyway MPs shouldn’t be giving interviews outside on College Green. Strange you haven’t suggested that NF shouldn’t be doing walk abouts where protesters might be around? Anyway I absolutely believe utterly that everyone on GN now will unite in condemning all such attacks on all politicians regardless of political persuasion. That’s right isnt it lemon?

Chewbacca Mon 20-May-19 17:29:10

Anyone who resorts to a throwing a milkshake, an egg or anything else, is simply demonstrating that they have neither the mental, nor verbal capacity, to express their views without resorting to violence. And that's irrespective of whoever they're aiming at. If you condone such behaviour you're illustrating that you have a similar lack of capacity.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 17:34:35

It doesn’t matter a jot whether you like him or loathe him and that goes for anyone whatever their views.

Physically assaulting anyone is just wrong and I am amazed at posters who don’t condemn this on every side.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 17:37:37

Lily

It’s not a thing it’s assault and it’s wrong every time. It’s neither funny or clever

No matter that you disagree with him. I disagree with most politicians but throwing things and attacking people is disgraceful as is apologised given for these acts.,

Lily65 Mon 20-May-19 17:41:33

Oh get off your high horses. When I said its a thing, I was referring to that irritating phrase used by young people. It's wrong to assault people but occasionally, just occasionally a politician cops for it.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 17:42:20

Glad to hear Blaire talking about this. It’s utterly frightening it really is.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 17:45:22

If an MP hadn’t been murdered and lots especially women MP threatened I wouldn’t need to be on a high horse.

You think it’s funny that’s your opinion.

I have 4 ‘young people’ who see this as dreadful.

But they were brought up to debate not hate

Lily65 Mon 20-May-19 17:49:04

What on earth have your offspring go to with this? debate not hate, hilarious.

Nonnie Mon 20-May-19 17:50:22

I don't think anything a person has done makes it right to do something wrong yourself.

I have heard that his bodyguards didn't rush to stop it and I have seen his tweet far too soon after it happened. Just wondering if he was trying to get back in the limelight? Some are suggesting he set it up himself and I would not dismiss that.

trisher Mon 20-May-19 17:52:18

Emily Wilding Davison once attacked a clergyman with a whip because she mistook him for Lloyd George. She went to prison of course. I'm not sure that sometimes it isn't permissible to do something physical providing it doesn't hurt or injure the person concerned.

Chewbacca Mon 20-May-19 17:54:12

occasionally, just occasionally a politician cops for it

Yes indeed Lily65, they do. Thomas Mair didn't agree with Jo Cox's opinions so he made sure she "copped for it". Your attitude to casual violence, against those we might not agree with, is terrifying.

Boosgran Mon 20-May-19 17:56:04

Hear hear Urmstongran. Completely agree that a bit of milkshake will not put him off. Go Nigel 100% support you!

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 17:59:25

Lily

I mentioned my ‘young people’ as you said milk shake throwing is a thing amongst the young. It isn’t.

Yes you are right poor jo cox copped it didn’t she. Rosie nearly did too didn’t she.

I find your lighthearted approach and language sickening to be honest.

Maybe you should really think about debate and not hate you seem to need some direction. Nothing ‘hilarious’ in violence.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 18:00:52

Nonnie

Good grief it’s all conspiracy with you today grin

Oh x post Chewbacca

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 18:01:56

trisher

It really isn’t it demeans debate.,

maryeliza54 Mon 20-May-19 18:07:57

Well I think Nonnie may well be on to something. Just like NF has whispered in DT’s ear about being invited to the banquet. I wouldn’t put anything past that lying racist.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 18:08:17

I think this is so important to nip in the bud. What sort of a country have we become that people laugh about crafts of hate to other people.

Seriously who would take the risk of being an MP especially as a woman.

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 18:08:56

Acts not crafts

Mycatisahacker Mon 20-May-19 18:11:50

You know by posting rumours that it was a put up job you are clearly minimising and ridiculing this act.

Like the drunk who lashed out at his wife! ‘Oh she asked for it I was pissed’

Stop it. Be clear. Acts of violence such as this are wrong