Gransnet forums

News & politics

EU Election Results

(146 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 26-May-19 21:55:59

Well ?

Anniebach Mon 27-May-19 17:53:52

Laura Piddocks has been a MP for less that two years ,
Deputy leader ? Expect she has only recently found out where the lavatories are in the house.

Greytin94 Mon 27-May-19 18:05:07

To have a true result everyone who is eligible to vote needs to actually vote. We should adopt the Australian system where everyone has to vote. Only then will this impasse be solved.

Blondiescot Mon 27-May-19 18:25:29

Lighten up, folks - I wasn't sneering, just making what I thought was a jokey comment. I have been on a flight where people clapped when the plane landed - for some strange reason, Glasgow flights are particular "offenders" for that, although we tend to stick to flights from Edinburgh as far as possible and I've never heard it on those.

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 18:55:55

Ah the gift that keeps on giving

Dinahmo Mon 27-May-19 19:00:08

Blondiescot - I expect they were relieved that their plane actually turned up, took off and landed on time.

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 19:00:18

Yes but those short flights like brum to Dublin etc are terrifying as the are frequently in strong winds and because they are small you feel every gust.

My first and last flight to Dublin was horrific and I felt like clapping and praying on touchdown grin

Firecracker123 Mon 27-May-19 21:41:41

Just received my new passport no European Union just United Kingdom and Northern Ireland.
Good sign that we will soon be leaving the EU. ?

MawBroonsback Mon 27-May-19 22:22:58

Is anybody commenting on the EU election results in other constituent countries?
The rise of the Greens in Belgium and elsewhere?
The frightening success of the extreme French Right under Marine Le Pen?
Or are we indeed “Little Englanders”?

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-May-19 22:24:03

To me, the graphs, percentages, numbers, countries, areas, pie-charts links, experts, opinions, blah blah...are of no real interest.
I'm only interested in the outcome on 31st Oct add all the chit-chat means zilch.
I voted to leave.
Whatever happens, happens and I can do nothing but deal with the result, which is all any of us can do.
Well done to all who voted, because making our voices heard is the most important thing to do, whatever your affiliations.
I hope that 2020 brings us a less fraught 12 months, where we can all bring our talents to the table to ensure our communities stay strong and get the government support they need.

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-May-19 22:25:12

add and

MawBroonsback Mon 27-May-19 22:29:17

Not my point GabbyG but I didn’t expect you to take the slightest interest in anywhere beyond these shores, so no surprise there.
(??”The English, the English, the English are best”?)

GracesGranMK3 Mon 27-May-19 22:34:39

It's a good thing those who got us the vote in the first place didn't pathetically give up when they didn't immediately get what they wanted. Disenfranchised indeed! Just playing when it's easy, it seems to me.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 27-May-19 22:38:16

Are you practicing being the next Mrs Thatcher/May, Gabriella?

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-May-19 23:00:10

For the avoidance of doubt and to anyone reading her comment, I was absolutely not replying to MawBroonsback in my post.
The comment was not addressed to her and no reference was made to the content of her post.
She is jumping to conclusions. Simply because a comment follows yours, it does not mean that it is a response to the prior post unless it refers specifically to that poster.

Welshwife Mon 27-May-19 23:00:27

There was just less than 1% between the NF - Marine Le Pen - and EnMarche - both getting about 23%. The third party was the greens about 13%. The NF lost seats too where as the more moderates gained over 20.
Of course this was the first EU Parliament election for EnMarche. Macron was not expected to do well so we the small majority was good.
Overall the far right had less success than was feared. The French list of candidates was nationwide and not divided into constituencies as in U.K. there were about 33 group lists - we had 20 come to us. They are of a standard size and are not big enough to get too much info on. Boards go up all over the place just for the sticking of the posters.
France was allocated an extra 5 seats to fill the seats the U.K. will be vacating although these MEPs will not take their seats until the U.K. leaves.
You do not get a voting paper but choose from piles of the lists at the side of the room and can take as many as you wish into a booth and when in there you choose the 1 list you want as your vote and put it into the small blue official envelope you were given when you entered the polling station. Your voting card is stamped and you sign beside the stamp. The cards can be used more than once.

GabriellaG54 Mon 27-May-19 23:04:33

GracesGranMK3
No ta...the pay is abysmal.

MawBroonsback Tue 28-May-19 08:34:07

As I suggested last night , should we not also look at the EU election results in other constituent members of the EU?
It was not just in the UK that the traditional parties of Left and Right took a beating at the European parliamentary elections – all across the bloc, mainstream parties lost out to a variety of new insurgent political forces.
But the combination of a stronger showing by the Liberals, a mini “Green wave” and populist gains in the south and east of the EU creates political deadlock in Brussels that could last for some months as the main political families engage in horse-trading for the EU’s top jobs.
Any hopes that a big advance by Eurosceptic parties would create a parliament more sympathetic to the British have not been fulfilled.

Urmstongran Tue 28-May-19 09:13:11

As Christophe Guilluy said yesterday about the EU elections in France:

“We have a new faultline: one that separates “progressives” from “populists.

The gilets jaunes, like the Brexiters, are here to stay: this will be a long culture war”

Both sides know this, the only ones who haven’t read the memo are Corbyn and his advisors. Even after yesterday’s results they’re still prevaricating.

maryeliza54 Tue 28-May-19 14:52:37

Good post MB thanks very thought provoking.

maryeliza54 Tue 28-May-19 14:53:44

Also like your quote Urm the bit about separating the progressives from the populists