Gransnet forums

News & politics

Farage & party funding

(71 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 28-May-19 15:57:02

Did I read somewhere that a commission was looking into his funding as there were concerns apparently about irregularities or illegalities.

Has anyone heard anything on the subject?

Nonnie Wed 29-May-19 16:19:54

Thanks marye I had read some time ago that it wasn't a party just a registered company so was confused.

Interesting thought I've had this afternoon. Whatever the result of Boris's court case perhaps MSM will discuss what he has been accused of and people will then start to question what they were told before the referendum.

MaizieD Wed 29-May-19 16:43:43

and people will then start to question what they were told before the referendum.

I very much doubt it. Everyone already knows that he's a liar, don't they? Many just don't seem to care.

The MSM will spin him as a victim of a political vendetta. Though I read Marcus Ball's account of how he got this far. He did it because he was fed up with all the lying in the referendum campaign and said that he could have gone for anyone, a Remainer or a Leaver. It was just that Johnson's lie was so very high profile... and undeniable...

I very much hope Ball wins his case. It really is time that politicians were required to be more honest. We don't allow advertising to be as mendacious as they can be. Yet advertising doesn't have a tithe of the importance that running the country does.

It might do a little to restore people's faith in politics, too.

Nonnie Wed 29-May-19 17:03:20

Maizie I hope you are wrong, I really do. The thought that "Everyone already knows that he's a liar, don't they? Many just don't seem to care." is just too depressing.

Boris is the first item on the R4 evening news.

Urmstongran Wed 29-May-19 22:18:11

Marcus Ball could of course spend more time filing his companies accounts, and less time raising spurious court claims.

Overdue accounts could be a criminal offence under the Companies Act.

Then he might save his company from being struck off like the last one.

MaizieD Wed 29-May-19 22:53:54

Have you been reading Guido Fawkes again, Ug?

Firecracker123 Thu 30-May-19 08:45:05

Perhaps we could Crowd Fund to sue Theresa May who lied 108 times that we would leave the EU on the 29th March 2019.

Anymore we could sue perhaps a new thread lol.

maryeliza54 Thu 30-May-19 08:48:44

Firecracker I take it you had your tongue in your cheek and that you really do understand the concept of a lie? I do appreciate however that BJ has liar running through him like through a stick of rock as he has practised being one for so much of his life.

MaizieD Thu 30-May-19 09:24:41

Noticing both here and on twitter that some Leavers are unable to tell the difference between a lie and a prediction. And that leading Leavers, such as Gove and Davis are equally unaware of the difference.

The £350 million was presented as a statement of fact. It wasn't a prediction, it was actually happening according to the red bus and the leave campaigners who made speeches based on it. It was pointed out that it was a lie but that was ignored.

One of the most depressing thing about getting old is watching the decline in integrity in our politicians. Once upon a time being caught lying was a cause for scandal and resignations. Now it just seems to be accepted as unremarkable.

Urmstongran Thu 30-May-19 09:37:48

Yet I seem to recall Theresa May not only agreeing it was £350mil a week but actually ‘in today’s terms’ it was £390mil??

And in my opinion the money ‘could’ have been spent on the NHS. Or on anything else the government decided upon?

Am I wrong?

MaizieD Thu 30-May-19 09:59:11

If you are correct, Ug you are welcome to devote three years of your life to researching the law and raising the money to fund the necessary legal team in order to bring her to justice. The law is there for anyone to use.

In fact, anyone can do it for any liar of their choice.

Whataboutery does not alter the fact that Johnson lied (and that people are actually defending him shock)

Urmstongran Thu 30-May-19 10:01:08

Politicians lie.

How can you tell?

They have their mouth open.

MaizieD Thu 30-May-19 10:17:09

Very unfunny, Ug

Urmstongran Thu 30-May-19 10:21:46

I thought it amusing.
?
Lighten up.

Firecracker123 Thu 30-May-19 11:16:28

We could sue Cleggy with his free tuition that he never delivered. Liar

Cameron for his Referendum leaflet saying whatever we decide the government will implement it. Liar

Anymore ?

Nonnie Thu 30-May-19 11:51:53

MB has brought a private prosecution so his company has nothing to do with this.

TM believed what she said so it was not a lie, misguided only.

MaizieD Thu 30-May-19 09:24:41 well said.

Do feel free to bring a private prosecution against anyone you like. However, what is the point of talking about others when the subject is BJ?

Firecracker123 Thu 30-May-19 12:23:59

Lighten up.

Nonnie Thu 30-May-19 12:33:52

Firecracker if you think this is a light subject I disagree. I cannot see how facile comments add anything useful

jura2 Thu 06-Jun-19 14:35:48

Just seen this and have to share:

IF FARAGE IS THE ANSWER, THE QUESTION MUST HAVE BEEN VERY VERY STUPID

Indeed.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-Jun-19 16:26:03

I see that Farage is going to have his work cut out over all the funding he has received that is less than £500. A electoral commission ruling has made it clear that no donation can be received from that other than a business/person residing in the U.K. regardless of value.

Farage is obviously too clever for his own good.

varian Thu 06-Jun-19 18:57:45

Nigel Farage rejected a European Parliament committee request to appear in Brussels within 24 hours to testify about allegations that he failed to disclose gifts worth £450,000 from a British businessman.

Farage, an MEP and leader of the Brexit Party, said he received a letter at 2:45 p.m. Tuesday from the Parliament's advisory committee on the conduct of MEPs, requesting that he testify in Brussels within a day's time. “What is this but an EU kangaroo court where I am given 24 hours' notice about allegations picked up from press stories," Farage said in a statement, denying any wrongdoing. "I did not receive any private money for political purposes," Farage said.

Last month, the Parliament opened an investigation into Farage after the U.K.'s Channel 4 News reported that the British politician had failed to declare gifts worth £450,000 from insurance tycoon Arron Banks, a co-founder of the Brexit campaign group Leave.EU. OLAF, the EU's anti-fraud agency, is also in the process of determining whether to open a formal investigation into the allegations.

Under Parliament rules, members have to declare gifts they have received "when representing Parliament in an official capacity," and "such gifts are reported in the register of gifts." Banks' support for Farage reportedly included a car with a driver, trips to the United States and a lavish home in London's upscale Chelsea neighborhood. Parliament spokesperson declined to comment on the allegations against Farage, saying the advisory committee's decisions are not made public. The committee can make recommendations to the Parliament president regarding whether an MEP has violated the code of conduct.

www.politico.eu/article/farage-rejects-european-parliament-summons-over-undisclosed-gifts/