Gransnet forums

News & politics

What next?

(31 Posts)
varian Sun 09-Jun-19 11:47:01

There is an interesting thread on Mumsnet where the OP sets out her likely scenario of how our politics might pan out in the near future. Much of it seems to me to be all too credible, but who knows? What do you think?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eu_referendum_2016_/3607464-Brexit-How-s-it-all-going-to-play-out

M0nica Sat 15-Jun-19 14:30:06

The Mumsnet forecast is the most optimistic I have scene. I just wish i could believe it.

I try not to think about the future because whenever I do all I can see is complete political collapse and the country becoming ungovernable, like that east African country (Somalia?) that had no controlling government for nearly 10 years.

In any upcoming election there will be four, possibly 5 big players: Conservatives, Labour, Brexit, Lib Dems and, possible, the Greens. With the usual political allegiances in disarray and 5 parties fighting for every seat we will see MPs consistently coming to the top of the poll with less than 30 % of the poll. because voters will be split, some betweenConservative/Brexit, Lib Dems/Greens, we may well see ludicrous results such as solid Labour seats ending up with Conservative MPs and true blue tory constituencies with Labour MPs, plus a good sprinkling of independents. No single party will even be in a position to begin to suggest they lead a government and after the the disastrous experience of the Lib Dems in coalition, no party will choose to be a colaition partner. It will be the kind of non-agreement the DUP offered of nothing.

The country will be ungovernable because it will be impossible to form a government. Further elections will only muddy the pool further.

The only consolation is that with almost all MPs and ministers will be under retirement age as will most of the electorate, they will not be able to blame the older generation for the nice mess they have got themselves into. Except of course they will.

quizqueen Sat 15-Jun-19 15:01:27

I feel so sorry for the majority of countries of the world who operate under WTO terms. Poor, poor down trodden citizens who would probably give an arm and a leg to be ruled by the EU empire if they had the choice. However do they sleep at night worrying about the future for their country. Oh, I've just found out they don't!

lemongrove Sat 15-Jun-19 15:23:30

grin Quiz

crystaltipps Sat 15-Jun-19 21:18:05

No country in the world operates under WTO exclusively, lots of countries want to be in the EU.

M0nica Sat 15-Jun-19 21:28:01

Many countries have trade agreements with the EU and other of their major trade partners, but we will be going out under WTO rules with no bipartite agreements, so where ever we trade we will be at a disadvantage compared with our main competitors, who will have such agreements.

Because we will be desperate to reach agreements we will be the suppliant in all these agreements and be grateful for anything the other country chooses to give us and make deep concessions ourselves.