Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is there anything that this government has done right?

(69 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 10-Jun-19 16:44:16

Royal Liverpool Hospital.

The old one is falling down. The new one was being built by Carrillion and because of government cuts it means that Carrillion was carrying out it own standards inspection.

Result - 3 floors deemed unsafe. So we now have a half built crappy hospital.

If they get voted back in should there be a GE then I will truly know that we are living in a mad house.

Grandad1943 Wed 12-Jun-19 09:20:28

Perhaps Day6 and others who are so critical of Anti-Semitism in the Labour Party would care to comment on the below report from the Independent Newspaper regarding the rife islamophobia in the Tory Party. However, those that appear to support the Tory Party in the past on this forum seem very reluctant to comment on this matter judging from previous threads and posts on the issue.

Report Begins here:-
Britain's largest Muslim organisation has condemned the Conservatives over "fundamental failures" in addressing Islamophobia within the party's ranks.

In alarming remarks, the spokesperson for the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) said he had documented "hundreds of cases" showing the scale of Islamophobia in Tory party organisation.

It comes after the MCB submitted more than 20 pages of evidence to the Equality and Human Rights Commission, urging investigators to launch an official probe into accusations within the party.

Appearing at an inquiry of the Home Affairs Select Committee in Westminster into the definition of Islamophobia, Miqdaad Versi vented frustration at inaction and "unequivocal failures".

MPs also heard criticism of Boris Johnson, the ex-foreign secretary who is currently the frontrunner in the Conservative leadership race, after he compared women wearing niqabs to "letterboxes" in a column last year.

Addressing the committee on Tuesday, Mr Versi said: "We have seen unequivocal failures - specifically the Conservative Party when it comes to Islamophobia. Not just small failures, fundamental failures in every single way.
Report Ends.

So, something else this shambles of a party and government are incapable of getting under control.

Link to the above Independent article can be found here:-

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-party-islamophobia-muslim-council-britain-a8954141.html

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Jun-19 09:51:42

Grandad As a Conservative I hope it is thoroughly investigated!

Anniebach Wed 12-Jun-19 09:58:37

No Corbyn supporter can criticise the Tory party for not getting racism under control

trisher Wed 12-Jun-19 10:02:31

Amazing how the Corbyn haters can totally deflect any thread which criticises this government. As we become the laughing stock of the world with a contest for PM that is so ridiculous no-one can take it seriously we are still suffering from Tory rule. They haven't done anything good and they have created more homeless, more people using foodbanks, more people on zero hours contracts at the same time they have abolished Sure start, cut money to schools, starved the NHS, stoppped nursing bursaries, cut police numbers and handed all sorts of stuff (like the prison service) into the hands of incompetent private providers. If anyone can justify the unholy mess they will leave behind them I would like to know how.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Jun-19 10:07:59

This Government are an embarrassment, I hope that they can clean up their act and once Brexit is sorted (however that may be) get on with governing the Country.

I have not and could not vote for a Labour Government under any foreseeable circumstances.

Anniebach Wed 12-Jun-19 10:11:24

I can’t vote for conservative or labour. Johnson or Corbyn !

eazybee Wed 12-Jun-19 10:14:20

Yes.
They have kept Jeremy Corbyn and his acolytes out of power.
Please note, I did not say the Labour Party.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 12-Jun-19 10:15:36

So what you are saying Annie is that you really don't care about attacks on religion or race, you set up these threads in order to, and only to, attack Corbyn as part of your obsession with the man.

Callistemon Wed 12-Jun-19 10:21:51

I hate to burst your bubble, Whitewave, but plans for the hospital were drawn up in 2007?, by the last Labour Government, under their PFI initiative.

I agree that this is all a mess, but successive governments are all responsible for the fiasco.

Anniebach Wed 12-Jun-19 10:30:17

GracesGran I accept you get over excited if you think you
have an opportunity to snipe at me.

Calm down , check who started this thread .

Obsessed with Corbyn ? I was quite obsessed with Alan
Rickman, but with a 70 year old with stains on his moustache right under his nose and with a failing memory?

No.

trisher Wed 12-Jun-19 10:45:17

GrannyGravy13 how on earth do you think that they are going to "clean up their act"? Their actions remain responsible for all the things I have stated do you really imagine they will change direction magically? The only thing Brexit will do (and I don't want to be sidetracked onto that) is send us further into financial decline which will (as the Tories well know) give opportunities for those dealing in finance but B* all for the rest of us.
By the way if any of you have GCs due to start nursery in 2020 watch out because the funding won't be there and many will close.

Granny23 Wed 12-Jun-19 10:56:40

Posters keep saying that we have a two party system that limits our voting choice to Labour or Tory. I think the voting in the Euro Elections shows that this is no longer the case, when a weeks old new party can attract a huge share of the vote, every area in Scotland was 'won' by the SNP, with the exception of Orkney/Shetland 'won' by the Liberals, a big increase in votes for the Greens and Labour and Tories left as 'also rans'. Current polling on voting intentions should there be a GE soon, indicates that neither of the Big2 could gain a majority in Parliament, there would need to be a coalition to form a government.

It seems to me that the Brexit fiasco has finally broken the 2 party system. We, the voters HAVE exercised our power at the ballot box. This new position has not been reflected in the MSM but, hopefully, people will continue to ignore the old propaganda and with more voters forsaking their tribal loyalties, vote to bring fresh blood and ideas into our Government.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Jun-19 11:06:46

callisemom

Well now let’s give this some thought.

Labour poured money into the NHS during their term as they did to education and other ares because they were left in such a poor state by the Previous Tory governments.

What the Labour Party didn’t do was inflict a level of austerity onto this country that has resulted in the NHS being so badly affected that nothing the government had promised to do recently will begin to touch the damage done..
this includes cuts in the planning process, which meant Carillion carried out its own inspection resulting in 3 floors of the hospital being unsafe

NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH PREVIOUS GOVERNMENTS.

Callistemon Wed 12-Jun-19 11:30:25

Don't shout, please, Whitewave

You are all paying the price of the PFI Initiatives introduced by successive governments both Tory and Labour. Introduced by the Tories and enthusiastically taken up by Labour, now the debacle of Carillion and other firms and the resultant messes.

Please do not tell me that the NHS was safe in the hands of Labour because it was not.

Grandad1943 Wed 12-Jun-19 11:36:52

GrannyGravy13 Quote [ Grandad As a Conservative I hope it is thoroughly investigated!] End Quote.

GrannyGravy13, as is stated in my post @ 09:20 today (12/06/19), several hundred reports of Islamophobic incidents and statements have been reported to the Conservative Party Chairman and executive, but no formal internal enquiry has ever been brought forward by that executive.

The above is the reason the Muslim Council of Britain has now formally requested other outside bodies to take up the matter.

However, some Tory supporters continue to criticise the Labour Party in their actions against racism in its organisation, while the Tory party refuses to take any formal action whatsoever within its structure regarding the same.

EllanVannin Wed 12-Jun-19 11:41:53

Oh Annie, I did laugh at that.

humptydumpty Wed 12-Jun-19 11:54:08

Grandad1943 so true, it's very convenient how the anit-JC brigade members on here conveniently overlook islamophobia in the CP but are very happy to harp on about anti-semitism in LP - both are disgusting but lets be even-handed about this.

Anniebach Wed 12-Jun-19 12:00:37

As a Labour Party member for over 50 years, but no longer a member. I will not criticise the Tory Party for racism.

I am a firm believer in ‘remove the beam from your own eye before removing the mote from your neighbours eye.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Jun-19 12:03:09

callistemion yes you are right I shouldn’t have shouted, I apologise.

trisher Wed 12-Jun-19 12:13:52

As you are no longer an LP member Annie that really doesn't apply does it? Perhaps you would do better to give Muslims the same consideeration you have posted for Jews and condemn all racism in any party instead of doing what you have constantly criticised others for and sitting on the fence!
This is nothing to do with the actions of this governement anyway. I have yet to see anything posted that they have done right!

Grandad1943 Wed 12-Jun-19 12:14:49

Anniebach Quote [ As a Labour Party member for over 50 years, but no longer a member. I will not criticise the Tory Party for racism.] End Quote.

Well, I am sure all on this forum have witnessed what they feel are ridiculous posts, but the above surely now must hold the top accolade for those type of posts.

Anniebach Wed 12-Jun-19 12:14:51

Good grief, PMQ , Corbyn quoted Ann Frank , the man is an idiot

Anniebach Wed 12-Jun-19 12:19:40

granddad1943, pathetic, if you have a need to refer to my post re racism in both parties do not pick out one sentence,
you missed out

remove the beam from your own eye before removing the mote from your neighbours eye.

It means put your own house in order first , got it now?

trisher Wed 12-Jun-19 12:34:07

But it's not your eye any longer as you keep telling us Annie
Perhaps you would do better with
"If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen".

Anniebach Wed 12-Jun-19 12:37:53

But trisher, I voted for a racist to be leader of a party, I didn’t know he was racist but I am deeply troubled that I voted for a man who has destroyed a party I was loyal to and worked for .