Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is there anything that this government has done right?

(69 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 10-Jun-19 16:44:16

Royal Liverpool Hospital.

The old one is falling down. The new one was being built by Carrillion and because of government cuts it means that Carrillion was carrying out it own standards inspection.

Result - 3 floors deemed unsafe. So we now have a half built crappy hospital.

If they get voted back in should there be a GE then I will truly know that we are living in a mad house.

trisher Wed 12-Jun-19 12:41:21

Then apply Chritian principles all the more Annie isn't there something about turning the other cheek and loving those who hate us? Therefore as a Christian your only hope of redemption from your mistake is to embrace Corbyn.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 12-Jun-19 12:50:02

Obsessed with your own hostility towards the man Annie. It's not big and not cleaver to deliberately get things wrong. It doesn't raise anyone's opinion of either your wit or intelligence. It just makes me feel you can't answer the question as you couldn't care less about attacks on people just because they are of a particular rare or religion as long as you have a stick to beat this man with.

Anniebach Wed 12-Jun-19 12:52:18

trisher my redemption does not lay with you .

You are obsessed with ‘hate’, thankfully not an emotion I have ever held.

Anniebach Wed 12-Jun-19 12:54:46

GracesGran me thinks you are the one with an obsession ?

pinkquartz Wed 12-Jun-19 13:29:48

Neither Labour nor Tory are of any use to this country.

Corbyn has not provided any decent opposition and the Tory Party continue to make severe cuts that will in the end affect all but the very wealthy.

The cuts to Social Welfare, NHS and the Police will mean the end to a decent society.

The cut of free TV licence to the over 75's was started by George Osbourne.

I can't believe how far we have fallen.

Callistemon Wed 12-Jun-19 15:47:46

callistemion yes you are right I shouldn’t have shouted, I apologise.
That's OK whitewave, it is an emotive subject.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Jun-19 16:22:52

callistemon thank you for being so gracious and

Iam64 Wed 12-Jun-19 16:52:27

Whitewavemark2 - back to your OP, there was a Guardian article yesterday that linked to the latest research on the impact of Sure Start centres. Those of us who worked in deprived areas where new buildings that contained libraries, community schools, Sure Start Centres where Midwives, Health Visitors and social workers were based won't be surprised to learn that these places improved outcomes for children, improved outcomes for mental health across age groups and helped children achieve more in education. Pity this current government has closed in the region of 2000 of them.
The Blair government in 1997 had years of tory neglect of schools, hospitals etc to repair. I accept PFI leaves a legacy but so does years of austerity. If we ever have a Labour government again, it will face the same impossible challenges the last one did.
My fear is, you need the majority of the population to believe the leader of a political party can be PM to vote that party in. I know the people who can see no wrong in Corbyn believe his is that Leader. I don't, wish I did, have tried to work up enthusiasm but my observations are he isn't a good speaker, he isn't persuasive and if he's under pressure he goes into grumpy grandad mode.
Don't start me on the current lot of tory hopefuls (apart from Rory Stewart)
The country is in a real mess. The government talks nonsense about improving public services, investing in mental health etc etc - all total smoke and mirrors. We have increases only in homelessness, mental health problems, school exclusions, violent crime, hate crimes, we have public servants, nurses, doctors, police officers, teachers, social workers stretched to breaking point and spoken of in a derogatory way by government. I'll stop because I'm making myself miserable.

Eloethan Wed 12-Jun-19 19:33:27

anniebach You continue to call Corbyn a racist. That is your opinion - which you voice at every possible opportunity - but many people do not share it.

Witzend Wed 12-Jun-19 19:47:49

I can think of one thing they've done right - doing away in stages with tax relief on mortgage interest for landlords, which skewed the market heavily against owner occupiers who enjoyed no such concessions.
Ditto the automatic 10% wear and tear allowance for landlords. You now need to have actually spent what you're claiming.
I say this as a LL myself.

Of course any such rebalancing for would-be buyers has largely been negated by the Help to Buy scheme, which (as was obvious from the beginning) has just whacked up the prices of newbuilds, ditto builders' profits and CEOs' whacking great bonuses.
All at the taxpayers' expense.

Iam64 Wed 12-Jun-19 20:00:42

Thanks Witzend. As my mother taught me, not everyone is all bad smile

varian Sun 16-Jun-19 19:52:13

The OP asked "is there anything that this government has done right? ". Now it's easy to think of the things they've done wrong - just about everything, but I've been racking my brain because I had the feeling they must have done at least one thing right.

I think I've come up with it - puting the 5p charge on plastic bags in shops which has drastically reduced their use. Was that them or did that happen before they got in?

lemongrove Sun 16-Jun-19 21:01:06

How about helping those on low wages with raising the tax threshold, and working pension credits.Continuing the triple lock for pensioners.
All governments do some things we don’t like and some that we do.

Urmstongran Sun 16-Jun-19 21:05:49

And (only slightly) the government have increased the personal allowance that we are allowed to keep before tax. Is it £12,500 p.a.?

I know Raab would like to push that up to £15,000.

Urmstongran Sun 16-Jun-19 21:07:05

X posts lemongrove! Great minds think alike!
?

varian Sun 16-Jun-19 21:08:53

That was a LibDem policy which the Tories in the coalition fought against but now they claim the credit.

Urmstongran Sun 16-Jun-19 21:23:29

Fair enough varian but at least they have increased it. They all pinch ideas from one another. It was Cleggie who made me and thousands more into WASPI’s. Good & bad then from the LibDems and all of ‘em!

Glammy57 Sun 16-Jun-19 21:25:51

GracesGranMK3, Grany. Hear, hear! ✊