Gransnet forums

News & politics

The future is unhealthy: selling environmental protection

(79 Posts)
CyclingKnitter Wed 12-Jun-19 09:19:44

Interesting piece in the paper this morning, about how the transfer of EU environmental protections against pesticides is being dismantled in the transfer to UK law. It's based on an analysis by the University of Sussex. It says, amongst other things, that EU protections against pesticides that are implicated with cancer, birth defects and immune disorders are being removed in Brexit trade policy. And speculates that this is because we're getting ready to trade with the US. This is also known as losing any control we had when in the EU to influence, suggest or veto laws, and handing power to lobbyists, Ministers and big agrochemical businesses. The sell off of UK health, environment and biodiversity begins.

Davidhs Sun 16-Jun-19 07:57:20

LOL
Crystaltips there are large livestock units in the UK but if you really want to see Industrial production go to the US, Dairy herds of 10,000 cows, one pig factory that could handle the entire UK production on its own, the scale of food production in the USA is simply mind boggling.

Back to the UK, a friend of mine runs a fairly large modern Dairy Herd I walk round it several times a year, large numbers yes but they are so well cared for, they have to be because it is a supermarket supply contract.

If yourself or a small group of other gransnetters would like to visit you would be simply amazed at how well it’s done, he would be please to show you.

M0nica Sun 16-Jun-19 15:17:32

David I refer you to my post above.

CyclingKnitter Tue 18-Jun-19 20:37:48

This:
I know that Gove is biased too, but in a different direction. I don't think that soil erosion can be dismissed as an ideologically driven concern. The "look around you" approach is not very scientific!

These articles seem to support the claim that soil erosion is in dire need of addressing:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5014291/

This report in the Guardian comments on a UN study. This European study looks at the costs of soil erosion.