Gransnet forums

News & politics

Channel 4 debate

(180 Posts)
Anja Mon 17-Jun-19 06:49:56

If that load of idiots is the best that’s in offer for the next PM then ‘We’re Doomed!’.

lemongrove Tue 18-Jun-19 11:36:22

No WWM2 I haven’t read all the biographies ( and even then a lot would be left out as too much for the public!)
David Lloyd George was thought to be a serial womaniser and no doubt many others were too, and still are.Other flaws, lying,cheating, bullying and many more will be found if you look closely, it’s human nature and just because a person is in a position of power doesn’t make them immune, in fact it very likely exacerbates flaws of character.

lemongrove Tue 18-Jun-19 11:46:51

I’ve already said I don’t think Johnson would make a good PM ( for many reasons) but the general public have never really known much about earlier politicians and their private lives.Now we know much more.Do members ( of any political party) ignore or set aside the character flaws/faults/peccadilloes of a politician if they think he would make a good leader, or do they choose one that they think is likeable/good role model etc.It’s an interesting thought.Do you think that mainly men tend to the first outlook and women to the second ?

Dinahmo Tue 18-Jun-19 12:06:26

Maxdecatt - Audit reports do not actually contain the word "clean" and it is not in the audit report of the EU accounts. The auditors used the phrase as a means of explaining to the public in general that the accounts comply with normal accounting standards.

I have just read their opinion on the 2017 accounts. They state "in our opinion the consolidated accounts of the EU for the year ended 31 December 2017 present fairly, in all material aspects...........in accordance with financial Regulation and with accounting rules based on internationally accepted standards for the public sector"

They then give the basis for their opinion on the legality and regularity of revenue underlying the accounts which in their opinion is legal and regular in all material respects.

The next opinion is on payments which except for "the matter described in the Basis for qualified opinion" are "legal and regular in all material respects"

Finally they give the basis for their opinion, which I won't bore you with, save to say that they have qualified the accounts because of reimbursements materially affected by error. Their overall materiality level is 2% - the estimated error level for reimbursement is 3.7%

It seems to me that the EU's audit report is no different to that of many other large companies. It goes into more detail (348 pages) but it is what they now call the statement of assurance and supporting information (ie the opinion) that is important.

Sadly the anti EU British papers have seen fit to provide erroneous information each year, in order to stoke the anti EU fire.

Finally, I note that you have refrained from commenting upon my statement about NF's expenses.

GillT57 Tue 18-Jun-19 13:01:42

I do not pass judgement on politicians using recreational or illegal drugs before they were in public office. I am however angered by Gove, as minister for Education,passing legislation that ruined teacher's careers if they indulged in the same recreational and illegal drugs. So much for making a mistake and deserving a second chance. I disliked him before this, but now he is a hypocrite and cannot seriously expect to be responsible for making laws concerning drugs, he will, rightly, have no public or police respect.

Anniebach Tue 18-Jun-19 13:18:37

Were the teachers whose careers ruined taking drugs when they were teachers or when they were students ?

maxdecatt Tue 18-Jun-19 13:30:44

Dinahmo. I did not read to the end of your comment that ended with your dig at NF.
What happened was that his living and accommodation expenses were met by Aaron Banks. How that constitutes an illegality is beyond anyone other than those that want to stir trouble. But, like those that are never happy un;less they are offended ...and who, if they cannot find something to take offence to, simply make it up. Taking offence is an industry these days. If there is money to be gained the offence takers will be at the forefront with nostrils flaring. . Interesting report in the Times today: "60% of Conservatives would like NF as their prime minister". Who would have thought it...not you for sure.Talking about expenses and politicians one need only think back 10 years to find a nest of thieves....all doing their business at Westminster.....across all colours of the political spectrum and from top to bottom .... and what is more they are still at it! Over at the EU the top bracket is torn between a desire to keep Britain in the EU and a desire to say goodbye to NF. They are dead scared of him and now they have him back for 4 years....unless they clear the way for the UK to leave. One thing for NF. He has pride in his country....shame that so many others (you as well?) have no concept of that charateristic.

lemongrove Tue 18-Jun-19 13:30:56

I think there is a difference between a journalist taking cocaine and a teacher tbh.

varian Tue 18-Jun-19 14:26:12

"Nigel Farage vows to leave the UK if Brexit is a 'disaster'"

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/29/nigel-farage-vows-leave-uk-brexit-disaster/

So much for liar Farage having pride in his country

Anniebach Tue 18-Jun-19 14:50:20

Nick Clegg moved to America , David Milliband lives in America, people do move to other countries

Carillion Tue 18-Jun-19 15:05:39

EllanVannin and Keffie...you have got it spot on. Thank you. Looking forward to tonight's debate only because it is the best entertainment on tonight's TV schedule. Looking forward to The Boris doing his supercilious, manipulative thing.

Carillion Tue 18-Jun-19 15:11:04

Sorry, just discovered there's an alternative to tonight's TV schedule. It's a programme about watching paint dry.

Dinahmo Tue 18-Jun-19 15:38:42

Maxdecatt NF is being fined for claiming for a salary he paid to an assistant who was working as national nominating officer for UKIP and who was paid out of UKIP funds.

I did have great pride in my country but not the UKIP variety. Sadly my pride is being whittled away by the activities of many of my fellow countrymen and women.

maxdecatt Tue 18-Jun-19 16:27:36

Varian. It is only a disaster when the Remainers deny democracy and we are forced to remain in the EU. Until then it is still on the cards that we leave...so no need for NF to emigrate and especially as he is likely to be the next full term Prime Minister of the UK. The Brexit Party will win the next general election and as of today 60% of Conservatives voters want him as Prime Minister...(Times survey of today) he will not leave. So your nasty sniping remark is way off the martk...but hey, why let the facts get in the way of your prejudice.

humptydumpty Tue 18-Jun-19 17:13:57

What??!!!!! in your dreams

Elvive Tue 18-Jun-19 17:20:59

Please, I am asking politely what do supporters like about NF and BJ.

It's not trap, I can't be bothered with the bickering. i just want somebody to tell me.

SparklyGrandma Tue 18-Jun-19 17:22:12

I have stopped watching political news, instead I am watching Netflix, the Star Treks are all on it at the moment. It says something that Deep Space Nine feels more realistic than our parliament and U.K. media reporting about it.

varian Tue 18-Jun-19 18:54:10

MEP calls Nigel Farage the 'biggest liar in Europe' during Brexit debate

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/video-news/mep-calls-nigel-farage-the-biggest-liar-in-europe-during-brexit-debate-37832036.html

Sadly the man who runs a close second to liar Farage looks likely to be our next PM.

It is bad enough, surely, that the UK is already the laughing stock of the world, without us confirming it by allowing the second biggest liar in Europe to become our PM.

Iam64 Tue 18-Jun-19 18:55:29

lemon - help me understand why it's different for Govester as a journalist to take cocaine and a teacher? By the way, I'm opposed frankly, to anybody using cocaine. My work experience tells me its a horrible drug. If a teacher uses cocaine in the way Gove says he did, that is occasionally and at parties, the teacher is never "found out", as Gove wasn't and his professional life isn't compromised, as it seems Gove's wasn't, then I don't see the double standard.

I do of course, recognise that teachers are significant individuals in the development of young minds and personalities but so are many public figures, including journalists.

Iam64 Tue 18-Jun-19 18:57:02

Oh for that edit button - and of course, the teacher at 50 is outed and apologises, says s/he regrets ever being such a bad person. By now, the teacher is running a very successful school and has contributed almost 30 years to the education system.
If the teacher is off their face, advising young people to do drugs, that would be a slightly different scenario.

maxdecatt Tue 18-Jun-19 19:06:57

You ask for an explanation of the popularity of Farage and Boris? People like NF because he says the things that they want to hear....but are afraid to say themselves as they do not want to be screamed at by the rabid idiots that stalk this country and want to brainwash you into thinking as they do. These include Labour, LibDem and Green. Farage brings a message that is not what the so-called politcally correct want you to hear. They want you to think they way they think. So Farage gives you the message, the power and the courage to say and think what you really feel.
Boris touches on a sense of nostalgia. He shamblesc about trying to be your Churchill. A good performer but a very shallow individual...he is not a Churchill, but his act fools many. You must hope that he becomes Prime Minister because his government will last just a few months and he will be forced into a general election. Accrding to all the polls Farage will win any general election. In fact today the Times newspaper revealed that in a poll conducted this week 60% of Conservative party members would like Farage to be their prime minister. Now I am sure that others on here will rush in and say Farage is not the answer...but then they have no other answer other than Corbyn and the resulting headlong destruction of Britain under a Labour government. Forget the LibDems and the Greens, they are no-hopers clutching at straws.

Elvive Tue 18-Jun-19 19:13:33

Who are the rabid idiots?

maxdecatt Tue 18-Jun-19 19:20:27

Varian. Which MEP said that? Possibly one of the Tory or Labour MEPs that are no longer MEP's? Farage IS still an MEP, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. He is called a liar largely by the exposed liars that are no longer MEP's and are now on the sidelines shouting the odds but without influence. Farage is loathed by his opponents (would they include you?) but he has never called himself a Nationalist. He is British and proud of it. Respect him for that, or are you one of those that believe being British is so old hat these days?

maxdecatt Tue 18-Jun-19 19:22:36

Elvive> Idots such as Corbyn, Sturgeon, Cable and those Greens whose names escape me...not that they ever registerd.

Elvive Tue 18-Jun-19 19:46:35

So the rabid idiots are everybody who is not NF, BJ. or the Government?

maxdecatt Tue 18-Jun-19 20:23:37

Elvive. For the truly rabid you must look among the Cornyistas, Momentum and the LibDems.....and any party with the word National or Nationalist in its name.