Gransnet forums

News & politics

By Election

(104 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 21-Jun-19 22:21:28

Brecon and Radnor . The Tory MP out.

Be most jnteresting, always been Tory, Labour, Libs. This time Brexit Party too.

suziewoozie Mon 24-Jun-19 11:01:43

No winterwhite it’s the Conservatives who have reselected him - I think that’s why some of us are a bit surprised.

Anniebach Mon 24-Jun-19 13:04:40

There has been very little mention in the media or the press, it’s Wales.

I think it is of much interest , he was found guilty in Crown
Court, there was the recall petition , 19% of constituents signed.

He was sacked then local party members met last night and
have selected him to stand .

This constituency has hopped between Tory snd Libs since the seventies , this time Brexit Party has said they will have a candidate. The constituency voted to leave.

trisher Mon 24-Jun-19 16:40:52

Thanks for all the information. It seems the personal problems of a Tory MP is the only news worth reporting now. Really important things are passed over.

suziewoozie Mon 24-Jun-19 16:59:30

Trisher - I agree. In terms of democracy, probity in political life, treating the electorate with respect, the Chris Davies story should be shocking us all but there’s only a handful of posts. Whereas there are two threads I think on Boris Johnson with hundreds of posts ( although many going over the same points over and over again).

Anniebach Mon 24-Jun-19 17:18:25

I think the same trisher, the seat isn’t safe Tory or safe Labour, the tories will not want to lose a seat now, Labour wants to win , Libs want it back and Brexit could be hopeful.

suzie Chris Davies’s behaviour was criminal yet lying about speeding , whilst criminal , the woman isn’t serving 50 hours community work.

suziewoozie Mon 24-Jun-19 19:12:18

Anniebach - what I think is the problem here is not what any of the 3 MPs did nor what punishment they were given but that they were subject to a recall petition and in this last case, the local party has basically ignored the 20% of the electorate that signed the petition and re-selected him. I think it’s quite contemptuous really

Anniebach Mon 24-Jun-19 19:39:29

You are so right suzie , there is much anger , we have local site on Facebook, only people who live here are allowed to join and no user names, the admin said this morning ‘no political posts untill after the election,’so much
anger brought rather offensive language.

I am waiting for the Brexit candidate to be named,will it be someone who lives here or someone shipped in.

POGS Tue 25-Jun-19 11:04:54

Anniebach

I can assure you that this story has been covered outside of Wales. There can be no argument that it perfectly fair for there to be a By-election as per the 2015 Recall of MP's Act.:-

Section 1 sets out the circumstances in which the Speaker of the House of Commons would trigger the recall process, namely:

A custodial prison sentence of a year or less—longer sentences automatically disqualify MPs without need for a petition;

Suspension from the House of least 10 sitting days or 14 calendar days, following a report by the Committee on Standards;

A conviction for providing false or misleading expenses claims.

Sections 7–11 outline the procedure whereby the petition is forwarded by the electoral returning officer for the constituency to the MP's constituents for ratification, approval by 10% of the registered electors triggering the loss of the MP's seat and a by-election.

Section 15 confirms that the seat becomes vacant if the petition is successful, if it has not already been vacated by disqualification or death, or otherwise.
---

I personally think the fact there has been less coverage between recent cases is purely based on the subsequent behaviour of the MP's and severity of the case. One case was clear cut and accepted by the MP / Davies and the other dragged on in the media because the MP / Onasanya refused to accept personal responsibility and lied for which she was subsequently jailed and found guilty of perjury.

Conservative Chris Davies who was convicted in March after he ' admitted ' two false expensive invoices for nine photographs costing £700 to decorate his office and Labour Fiona Onasanya who was convicted of lying to avoid a speeding ticket and subsequently jailed for ' perverting ' the course of justice .

POGS Tue 25-Jun-19 11:09:26

As for the candidates it is being mooted tactical voting and an ' Election Pact ' between Remain Parties is a possibility .

suziewoozie Tue 25-Jun-19 11:20:41

POGS it hadn’t been covered widely though had it? I can’t speak for anniebach but I thought she and I completely understand why there was a recall petition and the law that allowed it. I thought ( but anniebach please correct me if I am wrong) that what was somewhat surprising in this case was that the local Conservative party reselected him. It’s an interesting point in terms of the message sent to the electorate and the 20% who signed the recall petition. There’s also the issue of the cost to the public purse.

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 11:33:39

I find it strange that he has been re-selected as a candidate - have the conservatives given up on fighting for that seat? Or do they still have confidence in him as a constituency MP.

You're right, Anniebach, there is a lack of interest, and on GN too, in Welsh affairs, certainly in comparison to the number of threads we have regarding Scottish politics!

POGS Tue 25-Jun-19 11:43:14

suziewoozie

"POGS it hadn’t been covered widely though had it? I can’t speak for anniebach but I thought she and I completely understand why there was a recall petition and the law that allowed it."

I am an anorak when it comes to political news on TV especially and I can only speak as I find and the story has been covered widely, I live in England .

Why did you make the point re your good self and Anniebach understanding there was a recall petition and why the law allowed it? confused

suziewoozie Tue 25-Jun-19 11:47:35

I made the point POGS because I thought you thought we hadn’t understood - apologies for that.

suziewoozie Tue 25-Jun-19 11:51:31

You also said you could assure us that having the by election was perfectly fair under the act but neither of us had said it wasn’t fair. I think the misunderstanding has arisen from different emphases - my emphasis is on the fact of his re-selection.

POGS Tue 25-Jun-19 11:55:35

suziewoozie

Thank you for your apology and I fully understand how the ' misunderstanding ' came about .

quizqueen Tue 25-Jun-19 12:06:33

I have been the treasurer of a local political party and have dealt with expenses during several elections in the past. The rules are quite clear on what can be claimed for and I did the ( voluntary) job with no previous financial experience, just a good grasp of mathematics and honesty. You get receipts for all legitimate expenses and present them for inspection - firstly to the candidate for approval and then to the local election officer- end of.

quizqueen Tue 25-Jun-19 12:08:45

PS I can't understand why the local treasurer hasn't been prosecuted too. I had to sign a form saying any false claims were my responsibility.

suziewoozie Tue 25-Jun-19 12:10:11

Quizqueen - this case involves expenses claimed with forged invoices after he was elected. In the write up of the court case his secretary was rather cutting about him - no love lost there.

Anniebach Wed 26-Jun-19 09:03:25

The by election was spoken of on ‘ToDay’.

The Lib candidate just lost some votes, silly woman

suziewoozie Wed 26-Jun-19 09:33:36

Anniebach what did she say?

annodomini Wed 26-Jun-19 09:42:22

I heard her and wondered why she was selected, or even approved as a candidate.

Anniebach Wed 26-Jun-19 10:10:32

She was stupid anno

suzie Powys is a county, Brecon, Radnor, Monmouth.

Two MP’s, one for Brecon and Radnor, One for Montgomery .

Jane Dodds was asked if she lived in the constituency ( Brecon or Radnor).

She replied ‘I live in north Powys’, she was asked several
times and gave the same answer , - she lives in Montgomeryshire, why not say so ?

She lost when she stood in Montgomeryshire to the tories,
always been a strong Lib seat .

Anniebach Wed 26-Jun-19 10:12:44

The Libs should have selected a Male farmer living in Breconshire

suziewoozie Wed 26-Jun-19 10:32:38

Oh dear - sounds like the LDs and the Tories are throwing it away.

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 14:10:33

Anniebach
Powys is a county, Brecon, Radnor, Monmouth

Monmouthshire is a county, Monmouth is a town in that county.
The Parliamentary constituency is Monmouthshire plus Torfaen CB.