Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris v Hunt debate

(138 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 09-Jul-19 21:07:56

What did you think?

I thought it held together well.
And that Boris just edged it. But that could be because he’s popular.

Or that hearing yet again that Hunt is an entrepreneur is cringe worthy!

JenniferEccles Wed 10-Jul-19 17:38:12

Of course it's inverted snobbery.

I am sick and tired of hearing derogatory comments about politicians who had a good education.

So what if it deemed elitist ? Do we really want our Prime Minister to be the product of a rough Comprehensive school?

Back to the debate. I wish I had more faith in Jeremy Hunt as he does come across as a decent person, but there is something a bit too bland about him I feel.

There is one very important point to consider other than just who would deliver Brexit (important though that is), and that is who out of the two would be best placed to keep Corbyn out of no. 10 in the future. I feel that person is Boris.

lemongrove Wed 10-Jul-19 17:47:28

PeonyRose I quite like cold sausages ?

Dinahmo Wed 10-Jul-19 20:57:27

JenniferEccles Surely not all Comps are rough? Some are excellent and some (heaven forbid!) even manage to get some pupils into Oxbridge.

Although why only Oxbridge is mentioned. What about the other Russell Group universities? Surely they deserve a mention occasionally.

paddyann Wed 10-Jul-19 22:49:17

I dont think going to a school like Eton automatically qualifies you to be PM or anything else for thet matter.Maybe if tehse eegits had a more normal upbringing they would be able to understand what life is REALLY like for the millions living in dire circumstances through THEIR policies .As itt is they have no understanding or compassion for folk and only cater to their own sort ..or the people who will bung them wads of cash for titles etc.Politics at Westminster stinks ...it that simple and that true .Its not going to be better if either of these emty headed clowns get in so buckle up ..you're in for a bumpy ride!!

maddyone Thu 11-Jul-19 00:28:29

But do any of us know paddyann what it’s like to be in someone else’s shoes? I don’t know what it is like to be dirt poor, or disabled, anymore than I know what it’s like to be the queen, or Boris Johnson. And they don’t know what it’s like to be me. We have compassion and some politicians have compassion (although Philip Hammond’s joke about the 27 pence makes me think he certainly does not have compassion.) However someone has to lead the Conservative party, and the two up for grabs are Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt. That’s it! Love them or hate them, Eton educated or not, bland or otherwise, one of them will be MP very soon. We can discuss them till the cows come home, but unless you’re a paid up member of the Conservative party you have absolutely no say over who it will be. I hope it will be Boris.

maddyone Thu 11-Jul-19 00:38:48

PM of course.....

gransal Thu 11-Jul-19 00:49:10

maddyone I do know what it is like to be disabled and I live in constant fear of being called to be re-assessed for my DLA. I take 22 different medications a day and thanks to the Scottish government it does not cost me a penny. Try and explain that situation to Johnson or Hunt.

Lyndiloo Thu 11-Jul-19 02:58:20

I'm not very impressed with either of these contenders. I didn't like Gove either, but now wish that he had got through to the 'finals'. I think he may have been more suitable for PM than both of the present candidates.

Hunt seems a nice enough bloke, but he just hasn't got any 'oomph' about him. He seems an honest man, but we really needed someone who could 'pack a punch', and I doubt that he can.

As for Boris ...

Now bear with me, because this is important! Did anyone hear his comments a couple of weeks ago, when asked if he had any hobbies? It went something like this: "I get some ... ummm... wooden crates, or ... er ... boxes, and make them into ... ummm... buses. Then I ...er ... paint people in them." (No mention of modelling the people first, you'll notice.)

He was so bumbly and hesitant that I thought to myself, 'He's making this up as he goes along.'

(Ask anyone about their favourite hobby and they will rush on excitedly, giving you every detail, until they bore the pants off you!)

But listening to Boris, I thought, 'He's lying.' But in quite an inventive way, if you come to think about it. Who else do you know makes buses as a hobby? That would single him out! Whereas stamp collecting, or making model cars, would make him sound dull and ordinary. He just couldn't carry the lie off, by making it sound authentic.

And if he would lie about something so trivial, he'll lie about anything! (He might sue me for libel now - but I'd want to see all those buses he'd made, with the little painted people inside!)

So, my conclusion is that neither of the above will do us any great favours as PM.

As a Brexiteer, if I were a member of the Tory Party, I should be voting for Johnson. However, I think I'd have to vote for Jeremy Hunt, and just keep my fingers crossed!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Jul-19 07:00:02

I reckon that the majority of the Tory party are now regretting Johnson after his behaviour over our ambassador. This is no more or less than we expected.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 11-Jul-19 11:23:22

Some will be Whitewave but others will think the man got just what he deserved because he didn't want Brexit. As this point, we should refer them to your "Is this the face of fascism?" thread except they will just ignore anything that does not agree with their creed.

maddyone Thu 11-Jul-19 11:32:15

Gransal, I’m sorry to hear of your situation, I’m lucky enough to not be disabled, but we never know what the future will bring. I don’t think I or anyone else could explain your situation to any politician, they live a totally different life to the rest of us I’m afraid. I’m pleased you are able to get your medications free curtesy of the NHS in Scotland, but of course in England prescribed medications are free if you’re over sixty. I do wonder how long that will last though.

Urmstongran Thu 11-Jul-19 12:16:34

I think the best debate will be tomorrow night. Boris v Hunt chaired by the robust Andrew Neil. A presenter and ex newspaper editor with gravitas who asks questions and presses for the answers!

I think he will skewer both of them plus he keeps debate on track and calls out on waffling!

maddyone Thu 11-Jul-19 12:50:17

Thank you for the information Urmstongran, I didn’t know that there’s a second debate tomorrow. Andrew Neil will be far better at keeping things on track than the woman - can’t remember who it was - who was on the other night. Not that I think it will make any difference, apparently more than half of all eligible voters had already voted at the time of the last debate.

Johno Fri 12-Jul-19 07:37:38

I think HUnt is the vilest MP I have ever heard. I think Johnson is pathetic. This is the current state of things for Britain. But there is no point at all because the MSM will not cover anything perceived to be right-wing. PC crap and so-called "Hate Speech Law" has completely curtailed free speech in the UK. There is no one here who can name one single policy proposal to do with our lives, our actual lives - from HUNT or that clown JOHNSON. I don't care about who is today's alleged antisemite. I dont care about an Ambassador somewhere will be sacked?? do you? What about WASPIES - CARE FOR THE ELDERLY - AFFORDABLE HOMES and that white Elephant HS2 RAIL?? So pardon me if I dont rate BOREris. WE are being played like a Fiddle.

Riverwalk Fri 12-Jul-19 08:14:22

It really is a farce having the Andrew Neil debate tonight, days after the ballot papers went out and many already returned.

A handful of unrepresentative citizens will be choosing the next prime minister - why is it on prime time TV? I can only hope that Bozzer makes an ass of himself, not that that will change the outcome.

I am expremely p*ssed off with the whole bloody charade!

Shropshirelass Fri 12-Jul-19 08:23:14

Boris is a bumbling baffoon, heaven help us if he becomes PM! He can't answer a question and thinks he will win by having a 'personality'!

Urmstongran Fri 12-Jul-19 09:19:20

I’ve just read that only one third of the ballot papers have been returned thus far so for those (party members) left to vote there is still everything to play for!

maddyone Fri 12-Jul-19 11:56:52

It won’t make any difference to me as I’m not a member. I’ll probably watch out of interest though.

Blinko Fri 12-Jul-19 12:10:31

Boris.... thinks he will win by having a 'personality'

But he will, won't he. as his supporters think he can do no wrong.

Regarding tonight's session, I think it's AN interviewing them separately, half an hour each. So not a debate as such. I stand to be corrected, though. I'm rather losing the plot, if indeed there is one.

maddyone Fri 12-Jul-19 12:34:34

Yes, Blinko, it’s going on far too long isn’t it? I don’t seem to remember it going on this long with Theresa May, but that’s probably because everyone else dropped out, if I remember correctly. I wish under the circumstances it could have been hurried up a bit.

Luckygirl Fri 12-Jul-19 13:19:38

Hunt is not a "nice enough bloke" - he picked a fight with the junior doctors and tried to destroy public faith in them. Meantime they just got on with working their tripe our for little money. Dreadful, dreadful man.

maddyone Fri 12-Jul-19 13:24:13

I agree Luckygirl, I certainly don’t like him because of the way he dealt with the doctors. I thought he was vile with them to be honest. My daughter is a GP so I will declare an interest.

Jane43 Fri 12-Jul-19 13:54:17

I agree Urmstongran, Andrew Neil’s interviews this evening will be much better as he lets nobody off the hook, too late to make much of a difference though.

Luckygirl Fri 12-Jul-19 13:56:19

I too have to declare an interest!

Riverwalk Fri 12-Jul-19 19:27:44

Hunt's getting quite a grilling.