Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nationalising our water companies makes so much sense

(28 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Jul-19 09:28:16

I live in the Southern Water region, and it has recently been severely criticised for pumping raw sewerage into the sea.

The EA carries out water sampling on a daily basis at a certain time if day, and it appeared that the quality of sea water whilst not good was acceptable. But the reports of water borne illness continued. Eventually spot checks were decided on. These showed a disgusting level of sewerage was present where young children were playing in the water and others swimming etc. One wonders how the company was manipulating the water quality? I leave that for you to work out for yourselves.

The EA is prosecuting. The maximum fine is £20k. To improve the water companies pumping stations and install the necessary equipment will cost 10s of millions. The water company will take a £20k hit any day if the week against such a huge expenditure.

The sell off of the water companies by the Tories was billed as a good free market decision blah blah.
Nothing could be further from the truth. It is a monopoly( and I’m stuck with a product that I don’t want and pay dearly for. Meters were forced on us a few years ago.
Even our drinking water is suspect.

petra Wed 10-Jul-19 14:30:25

Fundamentally I believe that all utilities should be nationalised: but.
Up until the 1980s I had only worked in the private sector.
Then I went to manage the printing/publicity department of a nationalised industry. I was horrified at the waste, total disregard that it was public money that we were dealing with: nobody cared. Whatever you wanted/needed you had.
I tried my best for a couple of years but it was pointless
Towards the end (before privatisation) I gave up.
When privatisation happened a lot of people were made redundant. At the leaving party the HR manager had rather a lot to drink and informed some of us about the villa that the 4 directors had in the south of France and how much they had sold our pension fund for angry

crystaltipps Wed 10-Jul-19 14:48:23

I think the Chinese own our water company.?