News & politics

Is this the face of fascism?

(317 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:05:32

This from an American Ambassador

Anthony Gardner
@tonylgardner
·

Farage said that anyone in UK civil service or military who doesn’t believe in Brexit should be removed. My jaw dropped. This is outrageous. It is fascistic to apply a single issue to determine “loyalty” as if we were in a war of religion. Shame on him.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 11-Jul-19 11:09:28

Olly Robbins?? Thu 11-Jul-19 11:01:13

So do tell us what Olly Robbins did that was not what his political boss wanted him to do? And perhaps you could tell us how you know this as a fact Urmstongran

Urmstongran Thu 11-Jul-19 11:10:32

NF tapped into the wishes of those who wanted to Leave the EU. He is polite, urbane and determined on behalf of us Brexiteers. His BP smashed it at the EU elections which shows the strength of support he has!

Yes, he’s one of the ‘elite’ we’re not daft.

But he respects the result of the referendum (unlike the majority of the other elites who got such a shock at the result of the referendum!) so no wonder we ‘non elites’ feel we have a champion at last for our voice - very few in power respect our view and we can unite behind him.

Go Nige!! (if Boris doesn’t deliver)
???

suziewoozie Thu 11-Jul-19 11:10:46

www.civilservant.org.uk/ethics-impartiality.html

This is interesting - I think understanding the concept of impartiality is actually quite difficult. It doesn’t mean I think not having a view but how that view was formed and what influences were brought to bear in forming that view.

Urmstongran Thu 11-Jul-19 11:15:38

A different political boss, surrounded by a different ‘can facilitate this’ Cabinet, different civil servants will put a new face to these negotiations.

About time.

Had to laugh - Amber Rudd has now declared she WILL support a No Deal Brexit if negotiations with Boris fail. Nick Boles has just tweeted ‘so Amber Rudd who wouldn’t trust Boris to drive her home from a party, will now if it’s in a ministerial car!’

Urmstongran Thu 11-Jul-19 11:19:19

Moderate ‘liberal minded folk’ losing WWmark2?

They lost it at the referendum but refused to accept it! 3 long years later their hope of reversal of Brexit hasn’t happened and their railing against it has intensified each time Brexit has crept incrementally closer.

It’s going to happen now. Best get used to it.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Jul-19 11:25:40

Urmstongran I think the remainers in Government have to take some responsibility for this situation.

They voted for Article 50 and then have thwarted the withdrawal agreement at every opportunity.

Whatever any one says those who voted in the referendum come out in favour of leaving the EU.

Did they really think not acting on the referendum result would result in it all being forgotten?

Grandad1943 Thu 11-Jul-19 12:30:36

Urmstongran, in regard to your post @11:19 today (11/07/19) it should be remembered that it has been MPs of the Tory Party that have thwarted Britain leaving the European Union.

In the above, the Tory Party are the largest party in the House of Commons, and with the paid for support of the UDP, that should have provided a comfortable majority for Theresa Mays leave agreement to be passed by Parliament.

However, the ERG group along with the UDP voted against that deal, and in doing so prevented the UK leaving the European Union on the 29th of March.

Now some in that same deeply divided party wish to prorogue Parliament and in that deprive everyone in Britain of democracy purely as a means of solving ideological problems in the that Tory party.

Just how much more anti-democratic can those proposing this get. Disgusting

Fascists in thought, word and deed everyone of them.

Elegran Thu 11-Jul-19 13:19:50

So, Urmstongran what thoughts do you reckon went through the heads of those who voted to go it alone in the current global atmosphere of "biggest is best" and the devil take the hindermost?

Johno Thu 11-Jul-19 13:27:24

I bet this is out of context. But Farage, it seems, is pointing to the fact we had a referendum and some civil servants are working against it - the democratic decision by the people. They should never work against the referendum decision. If we want to play - "whose opinion fits into which political ideology" - then let someone start a post on it. I suggest - Torys shut down money for disabled - as a serious starter for 10. ?? By the way, I think Farage is an absolute two-faced placeman and I will have a bet with any person on any odds he will be in the House of Lords within 5 years. This he has been promised for what he is doing. I also strongly favour EXIT the EU NO DEAL. I hope no one reports me to Gransnet HQ for that.

jenpax Thu 11-Jul-19 13:47:49

It’s amazing how many people do equate Brexit to loyalty to the UK!
Last year I helped to man a peaceful pro Remain Stall in a neighbouring town and had one elderly man (supported by nods from others) come up to me and state very loudly that
A) I was a traitor to my country,
B) should be ashamed of myself
and
C) should be sent to prison!!!
I am pro remain because I want what I consider best for the UK it doesn’t make me disloyal or a traitor. I don’t consider those who disagree with me to be disloyal traitors either!

Grandad1943 Thu 11-Jul-19 13:51:17

Johno Quote[ I bet this is out of context. But Farage, it seems, is pointing to the fact we had a referendum and some civil servants are working against it - the democratic decision by the people.] End Quote.

Johno, can you guide forum members to online links that demonstrate Civil Servants have been working thwart the referendum result.

As Farage and Johnson have shown the whole UK population in the past few days that they are in thought nothing short of racists, I now ignore anything they and the persons who surround them state.

Grandad1943 Thu 11-Jul-19 13:54:46

Apologies that should be fascists in my above above post and not racists

lemongrove Thu 11-Jul-19 13:56:25

Your last sentence is a very good one jenpax we all voted for what we thought was the best outcome whichever way we voted.Nobody is a traitor for using their vote three years ago.

quizqueen Thu 11-Jul-19 14:02:53

The civil servants and MPs need to support Brexit because that is what the majority of people in this country, who took the trouble to vote in the Referendum, have chosen to do. At the moment they are seen to be thwarting it. If Brexit is not a success, it will NOT be because it was not a good idea, but because the government, civil servants, media and the general public were not positive enough about the possibilities of our future independence.

Elegran Thu 11-Jul-19 14:18:24

How exactly are all those civil servants thwarting it? Where is your evidence?

Grandad1943 Thu 11-Jul-19 14:18:26

quizqueen, Civil Servants within departments are there to give Government Minister "full unbiased information" on any matter. That information should contain pro and adverse comment and data on the same, but never their own views on any subject whether that be government policy or not.

Ambassadors abroad can and should give their own views on the government, ministers and organisations of the countries they are based in, but in that many have spent a lifetime in training for such positions

Only people such as Boris (The Buffoon) Johnson do not support our ambassadors abroad in that it would seem.

Disgusting.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Jul-19 14:22:12

qq as a civil servant, you don’t support anything. You simply do what is required by the government and advise as necessary. Civil servants are vastly experienced, far more than any government minister, but they will do exactly what is required.

However, what civil servants do and which idiots like Farage, don’t like is that as the ambassador they speak truth to power. So if something that a minster is asking the civil servant to carry out is either fool hardy or impossible, they will advise, but nevertheless they will move heaven and earth to carry out the policy.

Grandad1943 Thu 11-Jul-19 17:02:59

Whitewavemark2, it has always been the pattern of those that wish to create a totalitarian state to undermine the Civil Sevice apreatus of that state as it's first objective. This nation has witnessed that objective take place in the action of Boris Johnson and those that surround him refusing to support Britains ambassador to Washington when he is under unjustified attack from the Trump administration.

We have also witnessed Boris Johnson refusing to rule out the prorogue of Parliament should he become Britains next Prime Minister. That suspension of democracy to all the people of this nation is again typical of those who wish to bring about a totalitarian state.

Fascism is now endemic deep within one of the leading political institutions of the United Kingdom, and all should be very deeply concerned.

ayse Thu 11-Jul-19 17:27:52

I am very concerned about the state of the nation and right wing extremism, especially. Hitler was brought to power by populist policies. It’s very scary.

Labaik Thu 11-Jul-19 17:48:46

If it wasn't for the Civil Service I dread to think what state this country would be in now, given that all most politicians have cared about for 3 years now is Brexit and how to hang on to their jobs....

crystaltipps Thu 11-Jul-19 18:01:12

Brexit is definitely not a good idea, and most people who work at a high level in any form of trade, diplomacy etc will know that. There aren’t many civil servants who hand on heart think it is a good thing. I do know people who work in the civil service at quite a high level, and they tell of what an absolute mess everything is. If it was such a brilliant idea, I think leavers would have persuaded half the country to get behind it by now with clear evidence. Even that vacuum cleaner guy who told us all how good Brexit would be for the U.K. has relocated to the most expensive apartment in Singapore and is building his electric cars in the Far East.

Overthehills Thu 11-Jul-19 18:38:32

Urmstongran YOU (sorry for shouting) cannot be serious! Surely!
And how I wish you had never discovered that emoji button - why make a joke of everything?

Gonegirl Thu 11-Jul-19 18:58:18

I have never worked out what facism is. blush I have read about it. Son has explained it to me, several times. I can't get my head round it. shock

MaizieD Thu 11-Jul-19 19:09:49

Don't worry, Gonegirl, we now seem to be living in the early stages of a state turning to fascism; if it gets any worse you'll soon have a good, practical demonstration of what fascism is... grin

Day6 Thu 11-Jul-19 19:11:12

who voted to go it alone in the current global atmosphere of "biggest is best" and the devil take the hindermost?

But that's NOT what is going to happen, is it?
The freedom to deal globally will be outs - and most countries, something like 99% of them, go through the WTO, including the EU.

Remainers coined the 'crashing out' phrase. It sounds so much more frighteningly cliff-edge than 'going global' and 'throwing off shackles', doesn't it? hmm

The EU actually restricts our economic growth.