Gransnet forums

News & politics

The economy.

(270 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 30-Jul-19 07:59:49

This morning at Gatwick.

The pound is at parity with the dollar. This has NEVER happened in its history.

The pound is worth now about 87p against the euro.

The implication for the economy is dire.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 06-Aug-19 14:44:33

varian

As before - and so you go on to prove you only comment on what you see a relevant point. You sway dramatically off the point of my comment. Why? You go onto quote me items that were in the Cornwall Live article that I gave you.

As I said and you didn't comment on, 4% of remainers have changed their minds.

A big part Cornish economy (as I have said before and I will say again) is fisheries and farming. It's our main industry:

Some figures for you: 2016 by the way.

Agriculture, forestry & fishing is the largest industry overall in Cornwall with 4,280 businesses. Construction is the second largest with 3,050 businesses and third is the Professional, scientific & technical industry with 2,370 businesses followed closely by Accommodation and food services with 2,335 businesses.

I was criticising your sentence structure. Why put the two clauses/phrases together if you don't intend them to be linked!

My last comment varian. You'll be pleased to know. I doubt your reply to mine will be your last.

I don't spend all day on then net. I'm off to talk to someone face to face. My farmer neighbour needs help with the goats but we'll have a chat first and put the world to rights.

varian Tue 06-Aug-19 14:50:31

More leavers than Remainers in Cornwall have changed their mind and want the UK to stay in the EU, survey reveals......

The new Brexit survey shows 52% of Cornwall Live readers believe Britain will be better off economically inside Europe. As well as this, 54% said Britain should continue to be part of the Single Market.

www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/more-leavers-remainers-cornwall-changed-1485113

(WOODMOUSE's link)

Nonnie Tue 06-Aug-19 16:19:24

varian & Woodmouse I wonder if your difference could be a misunderstanding. W mentions money 'direct' from the EU but I think the EU gives money which our government hands out. Not sure but could that be the difference?

Anyone wish to comment on the WTO info?

MaizieD Tue 06-Aug-19 17:21:54

Anyone wish to comment on the WTO info?

It's Project Fear, innit, Nonnie? hmm

JenniferEccles Tue 06-Aug-19 18:45:51

The possibility of food shortages has been mentioned which reminds me of a suggestion from celebrity farmer James Doherty that we should think about eating squirrels!

In that event supermarkets would have to point out that ‘this product may contain nuts’?

Lessismore Tue 06-Aug-19 19:02:02

Oh the hilarity

jura2 Tue 06-Aug-19 20:30:55

In the Guardian an excellent article stating as it is

'UK too desperate to secure US trade deal, says Clinton's treasury secretary

Britain in weak negotiating position despite Trump’s warm words, says Larry Summers' - that is abundantly clear- same with the EU too.

Nonnie Wed 07-Aug-19 11:17:00

Canada has already said it will wait until we have left because we will be so vulnerable they will get a great deal.

Brexiters are right when they say all these countries will want to deal with us but they don't realise what the terms will be.

Grany Sat 10-Aug-19 09:01:02

For the first time since 2012 the economy has shrunk smaller now than France Italy Japan and USA

twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1159829082994954240?s=20

jura2 Sat 10-Aug-19 10:10:04

Hurrah- we have finally joined the Euro - just what the Brexiters wanted after all sad

Nonnie Sat 10-Aug-19 10:14:26

Not quite jura but getting close. SJ blames it on the world economy but clearly the markets don't agree. Our US shares are getting more and more valuable grin but I would rather the UK economy was better for all.

jura2 Sat 10-Aug-19 10:27:37

Actually, depending where and how you buy- £ is below the Euro in practical terms.

Ruth Lea, a pro-Brexit economist, has been forced to backtrack on live television after claiming she “made up” figures while working at the treasury.

www.indy100.com/article/ruth-lea-bbc-news-treasury-economist-brexit-no-deal-video-9049216

so the Government does make up figures/forecasts- to put a positive spin on the effect of No Deal Brexit- and they have gagged many organisations from talking about such effects, and are refusing to publish their own forecasts- because they are so so dire.

Nonnie Sat 10-Aug-19 10:36:26

Jura I only look at the direct exchange rates so, of course, we are both right. When I have to buy currency for holidays I shop carefully as there is a huge difference depending where you buy and even the Post Office has different rates for online and in branch.

varian Thu 29-Aug-19 15:47:06

The EU, taken as a whole is the UK’s largest trading partner. In 2018, UK exports to the EU were £289 billion (46% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £345 billion (54% of all UK imports).

The share of UK exports accounted for by the EU has generally fallen over time from 55% in 2006 to 43% in 2016, though this increased slightly to 44% in 2017 and 46% in 2018.

researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

If we leave the EU without a deal should we just forget about 46% of our exports and 54% or our imports?

Remember the the EU is the worlds' largest and most successful trading bloc in the world, currently comprising the UK and 27 other member countries.

In negotiations, size matters. A single "third country" as we would be outside of the EU, could never hope to get as good a deal as we presently have.

If we want to trade with the other EU countries at all, it would HAVE to be on their terms. We would have to comply with EU rules whilst having no say in them.

One of the most misleading mantras of the lying Leave campaign was "they need us more than we need them". Not true. They might sell more to us than we do to them, but not in percentage terms. UK trade only represents about 8% of their exports, as opposed to EU trade representing 46% of ours. Clearly a lot of leave voters never understood this and still don't.

varian Sat 31-Aug-19 08:52:57

The Resolution Foundation finds the magic money tree

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sajid-javid-spending-rules-boris-johnson-public-services-budget-brexit-a9086181.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwtajrBRBVEiwA8w2Q8F_J42_PBccc0CxAbHsx0OnIADVcKwMaaMZi7trsb0K6W3DFLJog8hoCqVMQAvD_BwE

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Aug-19 09:10:04

U.K. at the bottom of the G7 league table

varian Sun 01-Sep-19 11:42:46

Just about every economic org is warning a No Deal #Brexit may cause a recession

When was the last time a recession made more funding available for public services?

twitter.com/thomasbrake?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Sep-19 11:51:36

Manufacturing industry in the U.K. fell to a 7 year low.

It is now in recession.

The question now is what is happening to the rest of the economy.

varian Mon 02-Sep-19 11:57:02

Tata Steel has just announced over 300 job losses in South Wales