Gransnet forums

News & politics

Thank God for the Google Camp's Climate Change Conference

(186 Posts)
TerriBull Thu 01-Aug-19 07:53:33

Isn't it marvellous that Prince Harry has sought to share his thoughts on climate change, by giving a "barefoot speech" No me neither confused in front of a load of grandstanding c'lebs worthy and notable high profile people in Sicily. As a lesser mortal I'm so grateful that these up their own backside individuals, amazingly aware and magnanimous folk are there to give us guidance on looking after our planet. I'm just wondering about the 114 private jets parked up on a runway somewhere in though Sicily shock Oh never mind minor detail!

Anniebach Thu 01-Aug-19 10:10:52

What is a barefoot speech ? A bare brain speech ?

gillybob Thu 01-Aug-19 10:14:20

Please don't give up Beckett. It was obvious that the thread would highlight the sheer hypocrisy of all of these "celebs" traveling in their super yachts and private jets to a climate change conference. You couldn't make it up.

TerriBull Thu 01-Aug-19 10:17:01

.............hope he didn't have any verrucas, or ingrowing toenails NASTY! as POTUS is frequently heard to declare!.......or rough skin on his heels, if you do have the latter Harry, CCS cream from Boots, really good I can vouch for it, run it past Meghan first though grin

merlotgran Thu 01-Aug-19 10:17:32

So which royal prince will be putting on some wellies and heading off to Yorkshire?

My money's on Prince Charles.

gillybob Thu 01-Aug-19 10:18:23

Annie I think it is a term used to mean humility . Could be wrong though.

Anniebach Thu 01-Aug-19 10:19:14

Why Sicily? most named are Americans and why a speech on Nelson Mandela

merlotgran Thu 01-Aug-19 10:19:29

It's a whole new language to me.

I thought 'woke' meant your alarm had just gone off.

Gonegirl Thu 01-Aug-19 10:20:04

Merlot - We don't pay for their lavish, hypocritical lifestyles.

Really?!! If we don't our grandchildren certainly wil,l in terms of planet destruction.

Gonegirl Thu 01-Aug-19 10:22:37

I think it's good that Harry has said they will have no more than two children. He's walking the walk there at least. Let's hope he's an example to others.

And God help Kate if she has another. grin

merlotgran Thu 01-Aug-19 10:23:15

Good point, Gonegirl

merlotgran Thu 01-Aug-19 10:24:18

About the celebs I mean. Not Kate having another, although......

Anniebach Thu 01-Aug-19 10:26:59

gilly humility? Harry and Megan humility? Are you sure ?

gillybob Thu 01-Aug-19 10:28:54

YesGonegirl but between him, his wife and "their 2" they will quite probably have the carbon footprint of 1000 "normal" people.

gillybob Thu 01-Aug-19 10:30:58

Well I get what you're saying Annie but I was sure that's what the term meant (yikes). Having thought about it though, I'm probably wrong.... I don't think they or their celebrity chums, do humility.

Gonegirl Thu 01-Aug-19 10:34:12

Who knows what their future lifestyle will be gillybob? They might disappear off into darkest Africa and walk barefoot from village to preaching planet-aware living with Meghan administering birth control.

Who knows and who cares? TBH.

Gonegirl Thu 01-Aug-19 10:35:21

merlot - you really have got to keep up at the back there. ('woke') grin

Gonegirl Thu 01-Aug-19 10:39:10

Actually, I still don't understand what "woke" means in Terribull's post there. confused (08:05:08)

gillybob Thu 01-Aug-19 10:41:31

They might disappear off into darkest Africa and walk barefoot from village to preaching planet-aware living with Meghan administering birth control

We can only hope Gonegirl wink

Although I suspect they will need to keep their apartment and cottage going in the UK just in case.

gillybob Thu 01-Aug-19 10:43:46

"Woke" means to be alert to injustice, racism etc. Its an African-American (slang) term.

Gonegirl Thu 01-Aug-19 10:44:05

This had all totally passed me by

Does sound like a load of old bollocks. And makes Greta Thunberg, with her sailing across to America, a right little hero.

Who needs these self-serving celebs? We've got out kids!

Gonegirl Thu 01-Aug-19 10:45:10

our. not out.

Sparklefizz Thu 01-Aug-19 10:45:40

Well, I am fed up with Harry's and Meghan's hypocrisy. Are they too stupid to see this for themselves? (Rhetorical question) Where is their commonsense?

Harry used to be my favourite. I know someone who worked with him who thought highly of him for being a decent bloke, down to earth, etc etc but he has totally sunk in my opinion. I liked Meghan at first, but no more. Both of them are hypocrites, and although we can all be hypocritical at times, the rest of us are not standing up preaching to everyone.

The two of them should get off their soapboxes, do something practical like help out with the floods (well, Harry at least), not write stupid patronising comments on bananas to give to "working girls" whilst wearing expensive designer clothes worth thousands, not guest-edit Vogue and amongst the women you are admiring omit your own mother-in-law, Princess Diana (all her work with landmines and Aids) and your husband's grandmother, the Queen. H & M should generally shut up. I am amazed the two of them haven't been reined in by the Queen. For those of us who remember, the RF's foray into the TV programme "It's a Knockout" went down very badly, and all of this is heading the same way.

Excuse the rant, but when I saw the "barefoot headline" this morning and read about the 114 private planes, it took my breath away. Sigh.

SirChenjin Thu 01-Aug-19 12:30:36

It's breathtaking in its idiocy, isn't it grin Surely to goodness the penny is going to drop and some point and they'll realise what utter prats they're coming across as? Or someone in the RF will have a quiet word in their respective ears? I don't think Meghan is quite 'getting' that being in the RF means an awful lot of dutiful ribbon cutting and waving, and instead is using her position to elevate herself in the slef-indulgent 'sleb world - taking a very willing and loved up Harry (who was never the sharpest tool in the box) with her. It's not going to end well, you mark my words <nods sagely>

Ngaio1 Thu 01-Aug-19 12:37:39

Harry has changed considerably since meeting Meghan and her "A" list friends. (Not that she was ever "A" list - just a minor soap star). This will probably turn into Harry and Meghan bashing thread because many people object to a divorced American moving to Britain and trying to change the way the Royal Family works!

Anniebach Thu 01-Aug-19 12:38:11

The penny won’t drop, they have very big egos, think we are hanging onto every word they utter .

They are going to save the world