Gransnet forums

News & politics

People still think EU nstionals are being treated fairly in the UK?

(122 Posts)
notanan2 Mon 05-Aug-19 12:20:33

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/aug/05/surge-in-eu-citizens-unfairly-refused-access-to-universal-credit

Joelsnan Wed 02-Oct-19 21:00:13

Although concerning. My question is what do emigres to other parts of the world do?

jura2 Wed 02-Oct-19 21:07:59

And that is the whole point- the EU was not 'another part of the world' - so people planned accordingly.

grapefruitpip Wed 02-Oct-19 21:14:27

so sorry Barmey, no need for any of it really.

Lots of people with much to offer are now on a plane out of our sad little country.

jura2 Wed 02-Oct-19 21:24:24

For instance, bringing an elderly parent or parents from non-EU country would never be considered unless you are massively rich- as you would be totally responsible for all their health and care costs for possibly years and even decades.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 21:49:25

But then again jura2 what did these emigrees think was going to happen (in time) to their 89y old dad?

Yes I get it, the goalposts have changed (maybe ... there might well be A DEAL yet and all will be well) but surely in the 3 uncertain years this couple had to give some serious thought to his future well being?

Now he is living with them abroad, if he had property in the U.K. the sale of it could be dipped into for health care?

And by the same score, if he was renting in the U.K. what was his rent could now be used in the same way?

I’m getting tied in knots thinking up solutions on an individual’s choice that I don’t even know! And neither do you. It was someone you read about?

I’m off to read my book.

jura2 Wed 02-Oct-19 21:55:35

we were promised a deal, no? And when you have an elderly relative not coping, you have to do something. And they made the decision with the info they had at the time.

So no house sold and had small council property and only modest savings. What I am saying- is that goal posts moving have put people in terribly stressful and difficult situations- through no fault of their own. Can you remember that we were promised a great deal? Enjoy the book.

petra Wed 02-Oct-19 22:08:06

joelsnan
In answer to your question @21.00
We moved to a non eu country in 2004 ( in uk now)
Every year we had to jump through every hoop imaginable.
We had to show bank statements that proved we had enough money to live on. We also had to take out private medical insurance.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Oct-19 22:23:29

Petra my family moved to an European country pre that country being in the EU. They paid private health insurance, private school fees and had to report to the local police / area council every three months.

quizqueen Wed 02-Oct-19 22:28:32

If people want money, I suggest they work for it.

jura2 Mon 07-Oct-19 09:20:35

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/07/like-death-sentence-retired-britons-eu-face-loss-healthcare?fbclid=IwAR0ei_zi3euEtIpVaHimk2pF--cByR9Anmw8d5P3NC-thn5dq_rsqMRSsjI

jura2 Mon 07-Oct-19 09:22:02

quizqueen 'If people want money, I suggest they work for it'

have you even bothered to read this thread and what it is about?

Greta Sat 12-Oct-19 13:18:22

From: www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-conservative-minister-eu-deportation-nationals-a9150121.html

^”Brandon Lewis, the security minister, said European citizens living in the UK risked being sent home if they fail to apply for permanent residence by the end of 2020.
The Home Affairs Committee: “It is clear that the government have not learned the lessons from the Windrush scandal, which showed how easily individuals can fall through gaps in the system through no fault of their own, and how easily lives can be destroyed if the government gets this wrong.

Christine Jardine, the Lib Dem home affairs spokesperson,said it was clear that Boris Johnson had no intention of automatically guaranteeing the rights of EU citizens.
She said: “No one seriously believes the Home Office will have granted settled status to all 3.6 million EU citizens by the Conservatives’ arbitrary December 2020 deadline.
Thousands will inevitably be left effectively undocumented –and now the government is saying it will deport them.That is totally unacceptable.

People who miss the tight deadline will face the full force of the hostile environment,’ campaigners warn."^

jura2 Wed 08-Jan-20 08:59:40

So Johnson lied! No surprise there. He has reneged on his promise to EU citizens in the UK.

‘Tory MPs just defeated amendment NC5, which aimed to provide EU citizens resident in the UK before exit day with a right of permanent residence. Ayes 252, noes 342.

A second amendment that would have given EU nationals a right to appeal Settled Status decisions was also defeated, by 251 against 343 votes.’

MaizieD Wed 08-Jan-20 09:12:10

It's not going to do him any harm in the eyes of his voters, jura. After all, they really did know what they were voting for this time as it was being shouted from the rooftops that Johnson is a congenital liar.

So 'lying?, meh. What does that matter? They were only a bunch of foreign freeloaders after all...'

jura2 Wed 08-Jan-20 09:31:06

They probably won't care either when those of us who have chosen to spend time living abroad, are hit very badly by this decision either. EU countries were waiting to see if Johnson kept his word about the treatment of EU nationals in UK- to make their own decisions about UK nationals in EU and EEA.

jura2 Wed 08-Jan-20 09:41:11

I so worry about my good French friend- arrived in UK aged 55- after falling in love with a Brit on holiday. Now widowed, she lives in a council bungalow and has very severe health issues and is handicapped. She does not have a computer either and totally relies on friends. Now in her late 70s- she would have nowhere to go in France if she was forced to return. I would just kill her.

jura2 Wed 08-Jan-20 09:47:31

With the terrible mistakes made with the Windrush generation, and so many examples of people being denied settled status after application, despite living here for decades, always working, homeowners, etc- or spouses who have been SAHM and do not have proof of employment or independent means, etc- refusing appeals is just appalling.

MaizieD Wed 08-Jan-20 10:14:15

You only have to re-read this thread, jura, to see that, on the whole, people who are likely to have voted tory have no interest in, or empathy for, people who have had their residential rights removed by Brexit. You'll not find any of them expressing regret that their vote has had unintended consquences; nor that the liar they just voted for made 'promises' that he had no intention to keep.

CosyCrafter Wed 08-Jan-20 10:24:15

I agree, there is little sympathy for those of us British living abroad, they don't care that our rights can be taken from us. The goalposts getting moved only resonates when it hurts the individual... Such as state pension age increases, not everybody has compassion or empathy for others just care about themselves. Maybe that is human nature, look after number one, why not but when it is verging on crimal or life threateneing...solidarity should exist.

MaizieD Wed 08-Jan-20 11:11:10

WRT the defeated amendment on right to appeal, this thread by Steve Peers, Professor of EU Law, may be of interest. He suggests that all is not lost...

This vote by the Commons last night is being interpreted by some to mean that EU citizens will definitely have no appeal rights in relation to immigration status after Brexit. This is not correct.

twitter.com/StevePeers/status/1214853727686942720

CoolioC Sun 26-Jan-20 11:17:26

Jura 2
I do hope your French friends has applied for settled status. If she does not have a computer perhaps a friend could help her or make an appointment I think with your local registrars office to show paperwork that she has been residing in the Uk. I guess she gets SRP and other benefits ie Housing allowance and Council tax benefit? If she has been in the UK many years, she may even as my husband has his Alien book and stamps in old passports giving leave to remain for an indefinite period.

We have to apply for my husband, we don’t actually have to but I intend to once I have myself up and running with an iPhone 7.