Gransnet forums

News & politics

Post Brexit food

(244 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Aug-19 07:45:55

The BBC is reporting about food suppliers plans post Brexit and their efforts to try to keep the food supply flowing.

It is clear that the biggest issue is going to be around fresh fruit and vegetables and the sufficient level to ensure that there is no shortage.

However, if, in the event of a shortage I think that the government should definitely introduce a form of rationing, in order that the wealthy, those living close to lots of stores etc should not be able to snap up this essential part of our diet at the expense of the poor and vulnerable.

Pantglas1 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:08:01

Do you often feel the need for profanities Whitewavemark2?

I’m not going to apologise for shopping locally for homegrown produce where I can, whether in north Wales or here inland Spain.

I know from my city dwelling friends they have far more choice in markets and supermarkets than I do so not sure your comment necessarily applies.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:14:02

One of my friends is already moaning that she won’t be able to get strawberries for her trifle on Boxing Day.... why don’t folks just eat local food in season? Wed 07-Aug-19 09:14:25

I understand your comment but really, why is going back to the days when the only curry came dehydrated in a packet a good thing?

I have a peculiar diet (as prescribed by the doctor and tracked by a dietitian) and will not miss strawberries because I can't eat them. But I can't eat apples or blackberries (blackcurrants will be okay). Nor can I eat wheat or lactose. This keeps me well. I prefer to be well. I do not know how well I will be after we leave or if I will be able to get enough to eat of the foods that will not, eventually, kill me.

Joke-on about Christmas and people not being prepared to rough it a bit Pantglas1 but it will mean so much more to so many.

Oh, and many of the things YOU deem necessary for Christmas may not be here either. This is the very worst time for us to be putting ourselves in this position.

MaizieD Wed 07-Aug-19 10:14:39

Your endless supply of experts seem to come from Guardian articles

Actually, Minniemoo, the predictions of food shortages came from reports prepared for the government by civil servants.

Now I know that a lot of Leavers cling to the childish belief that civil servants are Remainers and so are biased towards preparing worst case no deal scenarios, but the contempt such a belief shows for our highly professional civil service is both breathtaking and very sad.

It seems that Leavers are not only content to destroy our relationship with our closest neighbours but they are being encouraged to distrust and disbelieve the foundational institutions of our democracy. With language, in some cases, which sounds quite fascist...

Pantglas1 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:20:23

Curry, dehydrated in a packet? Who knew.....

My mother made her own in the late sixties (albeit with curry powder) following a recipe she’d read in a magazine- and that was in the sticks of north Wales!

DH has just informed me that Vesta did beef curries and he loved them....he’s moved on since then!

growstuff Wed 07-Aug-19 10:21:05

Pantglas, People in cities do have a great choice, but how much of it is local?

GracesGranMK3 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:21:26

Yes there are lots of experts in all fields giving their opinions, but, and it is a big but, we have never been in this situation before. (Wed 07-Aug-19 10:07:44)

So who do you talk to when you "have not been in this position before" GrannyGravy13 someone with as little knowledge as yourself or an expert in the field?

I prefer the expert knowledge to yours any day. I prefer it to anything I could come up with too. The difference is I know what I don't know. You assume you do know although how you come to that conclusion is beyond me.

growstuff Wed 07-Aug-19 10:24:06

Sorry about this, but I'm not very interested in your mother's cooking. FWIW, my mother's cooking was disgusting - gloopy stews made with cheap meat, boring vegetables and thickened with flour.

Our mothers' cooking doesn't have anything to do with future food supply.

Crazygran Wed 07-Aug-19 10:26:30

For goodness sake be positive we are British !

janipat Wed 07-Aug-19 10:29:56

I remember when we were asked to vote in 1975 whether to stay in the EU or not. One of the biggest arguments for remain was that the UK could not grow enough food to feed itself, but Europe as a whole could. I don't remember any rubbishing of this argument and think it held a lot of sway with many people. The vote to stay was certainly a much bigger majority than this last one, 2 to 1 in favour of remaining I believe. I don't imagine our ability to single handedly feed our increased population has improved substantially.

Pantglas1 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:30:41

I agree growstuff- I tend to relate any problems to solutions I might have heard about previously- excuse my meanderings!

I do feel there is something slightly obscene worrying about the loss of our vastly varied diets compared to years ago, when so many people across the world have barely enough of anything to eat.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:31:18

GGMK3

I am not claiming to have any expert knowledge, just stating the obvious that we have never been in this position before, and "experts" have never been in this position before.

They are in fact "guesstimating" based on their knowledge, and it is becoming increasingly more difficult as 31/11 looms closer to "wade" through all these guesstimations!!!

I will remain polite in my reply to your last paragraph, in our business we adhered to Government Departments information and have "Brexit proofed" our business the best we can.

This has been three years coming and anyone in business who has not taken appropriate planning steps has no excuse.

Minniemoo Wed 07-Aug-19 10:32:29

How low will you lot stoop to? Fascists now?

I have no interest in falling out with Europe. Why can't people see that they may well love Europe but dislike the EU? Why is that so hard to understand? There are many Europeans who also dislike the EU. And they are not all fascists. Which was a rather low comment. But desperation appears to be setting in with some of the Remainers on here so they resort to insults. It won't work.

On another thread I've mentioned the Euro. When numerous 'experts' were telling us we had to start using the currency. We were told that we'd be in recession, trade would fall, unemployment etc etc. None of that ever happened. Experts aren't always right.

Same with the forecast of what would happen within days of the leave vote. Job losses, recession, house price drop and so on and so forth.

I admire your faith in experts and of course they know what they're talking about. A lot of what they say though depends on other factors. The scientist mentioned is a die hard Labour member.

As for people (childishly?) believing that all Civil Servants are Remainers. Well that's laughable. I left the CS last year and I can assure you, they were not all Remainers. So maybe that's your childish belief?

growstuff Wed 07-Aug-19 10:33:55

What do you do to support third world charities, Pantglas? How does leaving the EU help people in these countries?

Missfoodlove Wed 07-Aug-19 10:34:44

As I buy all my fruit and vegetables from the same market stall each week, I’m sure the lovely couple who own it will make sure their loyal customers will get what’s available.

Not so sure the supermarkets will be as accommodating.

Blinko Wed 07-Aug-19 10:35:35

We're in for a rocky ride, the only question will be just how rough it's going to get. Still we have Boris at the helm

ROFL!

Teetime Wed 07-Aug-19 10:36:26

I am glad to hear Marmite may be in short supply - I may never have to smell this vile stuff at Breakfast again!

Anyway dont be ridiculous we won't starve and I agree with minimoo I haven't fallen out with my daughter who is married to a scientist bewailing his lot and works for multi chamber barristers practice also bewailing their impoverished lot.

mumof2boys Wed 07-Aug-19 10:37:39

... ration the wealthy and those close to shops! FFS

All those who voted leave , dismissed concerns as ' project fear' and used the term remoaners and derided ' experts ' should be back of the queue.

... you voted for it - you live with it!!!!!!!

growstuff Wed 07-Aug-19 10:38:03

Why resort to strawman arguments, Minniemoo?

It really isn't difficult for anybody to understand the difference between "loving Europe" and hating the "EU". Where has anybody stated they have difficulty understanding that?

Has anybody in the last decade or so seriously suggested the UK should join the Eurozone? It was once certainly on the agenda, but was ruled out.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:38:44

I keep trying to tell myself some people have a different perspective but it keeps being overridden by the question of how some people ended up being so ignorant.

growstuff Wed 07-Aug-19 10:40:19

Missfoodlove, Do your greengrocers have a private plane and know enough black market dealers? How can you be so sure that they will be able to supply what their customers want? Seriously?

Pantglas1 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:42:27

I’ve actually worked for charities in India for 6 months twice in my younger days and still keep in touch with one or two colleagues as it happens growstuff.

Never suggested that leaving EU was going to help them - perhaps you’ve confused me with someone else?

LuckyFour Wed 07-Aug-19 10:51:11

I wasn't there in person but we're told there were food shortages and very limited options during the war and (to put two threads together) people weren't overweight but they survived. Perhaps a bit of austerity will do us good.

inishowen Wed 07-Aug-19 10:52:13

We can grow fruit and veg in this country.

Last weekend I bought chilli chicken bites from our local butcher. When I came to read the cooking instruction I was shocked to see "chicken imported from Thailand, previously frozen". I was really annoyed as I thought the butcher was using local meat, not passing off rubbish as local. I will be having a word and won't buy from him again.

Cazzab56 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:57:38

Well said. I’m off. Can’t be bothered to read this rubbish

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Aug-19 10:57:57

If you go back to the OP.

I accept that there will be shortages, what I am saying that to prevent all the greedy b.......s grabbing more than their fair share, there ought to be some form of rationing, even if it is only for a few months. If rationing doesn’t take place then the feeling if division and unfairness will simply get worse.