Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wish Boris would actually do some work.

(84 Posts)
M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 09:58:28

Every day since Boris was elected the papers have had photos of him dashing round the country, first this place then that. like a bouncing cheque. If it's Tuesday, it is probably Barrow.

Am I alone in wishing he would get back to No 10, sit down at a desk and do some work, on Brexit, NHS, the No 10 rose garden, for all I care, but actually get down to work and not display all the symptoms of chronic procrastination, by constantly putting off knuckling down to work by visiting yet another, school/hospital/prison in England/Ireland/Scotand/Wales/Timbuctu

merlotgran Fri 09-Aug-19 10:02:11

But it's August.

Nothing happens in August. hmm

M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 10:07:27

This August?

MaizieD Fri 09-Aug-19 10:09:47

He doesn't have to do any work, he's got Dominic Cummings doing it all for him.

We were constantly warned, before he was 'elected', by people who knew him, that he is lazy. Why is anyone surprised now?

Calendargirl Fri 09-Aug-19 10:09:53

Well, he’s not on his holidays, which the other M.P.’s are.

M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 10:21:19

I am not surprised, just irritated, I had hoped that the enormity of the job he was taking on, might shock him into doing some work, or his latest inamorata, might get him to concentrate on the day job.

Dominic Cummings is not PM and should be working with the PM supervising him.

trisher Fri 09-Aug-19 10:28:42

M0nica but Boris has made a great sacrifice- he's not watching cricket. He is in any case used to the long holidays public schools get. It's August -he's travelling the country and making promises what else does a PM do? The plebs are there to do the work. (He did much the same as Mayor of London only the travelling wasn't as long)

eazybee Fri 09-Aug-19 10:59:27

I consider 'dashing round the country', meeting different people with totally different agendas and having meetings with them, to be work; and I expect the folder that has been speculated upon contains briefing documents which he reads, and studies, during the trips around the country. He is connecting with different parts of Britain, and not simply scurrying across to Brussels all the time.

Whatever he does will be wrong in some people's eyes; if he stayed at No. 10 behind his desk he would be 'evading the people' or staying at home being pampered by nanny.

RosieLeah Fri 09-Aug-19 11:04:13

It's the summer recess.....everyone is on their hols. If some crisis occurs, parliament will be re-called...otherwise things are just coasting along.

crystaltipps Fri 09-Aug-19 11:09:35

Crisis? What crisis? Economy crashing, £ sinking faster than the titanic, division and uncertainty all around. Still that what Leavers “know” they voted for - so are all thrilled with the way things are going no doubt.

Rowantree Fri 09-Aug-19 11:14:45

Just don't call him Boris.
It makes him sound like an amiable cuddly friendly teddy bear when he's actually a lying incompetent narcissisist - and a dangerous one to boot. He only cares about himself and his career.

Call him by his last name. That's how we talk about other politicians, innit?

paddyann Fri 09-Aug-19 11:25:45

He didn't actually visit Scotland ,he may have landed her but his visit was the Nuclear base at Faslane ,peopled by mainly English ex pats .They'll shake his hand and smile .When he made it out of that safe zone to Edinburgh he was booed at eth door of Bute house by a decent ssized crowd for a weekday and decided to use the cowards way out and leave by the back door...he will forever be Back Door Boris here .A man we dont want from a party we didn't vote for, telling us it'll cost us half a BILLION pounds to leave a union we WANT TO STAY IN .Is England happy with his 6 billion bill ?

MaizieD Fri 09-Aug-19 11:26:28

Just don't call him Boris.

On mumsnet Brexit threads they call him Blow Job...

On twitter it's often Doris...

MaizieD Fri 09-Aug-19 11:27:47

Sometimes he's referred to as Al,

trisher Fri 09-Aug-19 11:28:20

There's much on social media showing him being Booed in many places paddyann Strange how it never gets onto the mainstream news isn't it?

GillT57 Fri 09-Aug-19 11:33:45

I have been referring him to Johnson for quite sometime as I reserve first names for people I like. Paddyanne, be assured that many millions of us in England are unhappy with Brexit, unhappy with Boris, and very concerned about the economy, please don't assume that this fool and his policies have everyone's support just because he is English. Actually, from what I have seen, he has been booed wherever he has visited, certainly in Scotland and in Wales.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 09-Aug-19 12:00:57

Well at least he is getting out and about, seeing and listening to the UK residents.

If as the "press" are alluding to there is going to be a "snap election" why isn't Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour front bench out canvassing also?

Anniebach Fri 09-Aug-19 12:07:21

Corbyn has to stay close to home.

MacDonald said he was going to put Corbyn in a cab and send him to Buck House. Waste of time as queenie is in Balmoral

GillT57 Fri 09-Aug-19 12:08:10

yes Corbyn should be getting out and about, any effective leader of a decent opposition party would do so, but he is hopeless. It is the Perfect Storm at the moment, with maniacs running No10 and the cabinet and the weakest opposition ever, just sitting back, letting it all happen. You would think that this debacle was supported by everyone in the country, not a small, very small majority of those who voted.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 09-Aug-19 12:16:04

MONica
Who can say TM did any better. Seem to recall she was always nipping off to see her friends???? in Europe. What that achieved we soon found out, sweet all.

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 09-Aug-19 12:16:47

Not mentioned, but one visit was to Whaley Bridge.

SueDonim Fri 09-Aug-19 12:16:57

Interesting to learn that despite having lived in Scotland for 40-odd years I'm now regarded as an English expat. I wonder, are the many people from other countries who live in Scotland also expats? French expats, Welsh expats, Pakistani expats, American expats, Polish expats, Irish expats? hmm

GillT57 Fri 09-Aug-19 12:26:23

Suedonim all part of the nastiness wrought by Brexit I fear. We had someone on here yesterday talking about 'pureblood' and then spluttering explanations when the accusations started. It is the same mind set as Trump's 'send her back'.

Callistemon Fri 09-Aug-19 12:35:21

If he had ignored, for instance, the people of Whaley Bridge etc and not visited other places then he would be criticised for that.

Presumably he has a host of civil servants plus Cummings doing all the groundwork for him so that he can present new and exciting developments and ideas to the EU which are also on their hols at the moment.

Callistemon Fri 09-Aug-19 12:41:05

I'm an English ex-pat too SueDonim grin
Many of my friends who live here in Wales are Scottish ex-pats shock

Oh dear, must not do any wooden spooning as on thread yesterday, some posters may take it seriously.