Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wish Boris would actually do some work.

(85 Posts)
M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 09:58:28

Every day since Boris was elected the papers have had photos of him dashing round the country, first this place then that. like a bouncing cheque. If it's Tuesday, it is probably Barrow.

Am I alone in wishing he would get back to No 10, sit down at a desk and do some work, on Brexit, NHS, the No 10 rose garden, for all I care, but actually get down to work and not display all the symptoms of chronic procrastination, by constantly putting off knuckling down to work by visiting yet another, school/hospital/prison in England/Ireland/Scotand/Wales/Timbuctu

quizqueen Fri 09-Aug-19 12:46:44

A good leader delegates to his team according to their strengths and interests, that's why we have ministers who report back to him, probably on a daily basis. That leader then looks at the information provided to him and makes an informed decision. The Prime Minister cannot do everything and it is not his job to do so.

He has visited all the other leaders of the Union and spoken to other world leaders and the EU by phone and had many team meetings . He has also spoken to British companies, farmers etc. and visited an area in danger of flooding. He's been in the job for 17 days! Also, according to the photos, Larry seems to like him so he can't be all bad as cats are very discerning creatures!

EllanVannin Fri 09-Aug-19 12:50:51

Reminds me of those at work who permanently had a duster/cloth in their hand " to look busy " ! Headworkers.

paddyann Fri 09-Aug-19 12:57:13

Suedonim MOST of the workforce at Faslane and indeed almost ALL the workers involved in the nuclear subs are brought in weekly and go back south when their shifts are done Thats why they're destroying the area with multi storey flats so they can stay .
Perhaps we should all remember that this day in 1945 over 100.000 INNOCENT people were killed by the bombing of Nagasaki ..add that to the 240,000 killed on Hiroshima 3 days earlier and the total of the nuclear abomination is horrific .We .thats over 80% of people polled in Scotland about Trident DONT want it here .Boris was sticking two fingers up at us by his visit in his attempt to validate it .

Callistemon Fri 09-Aug-19 13:01:40

They are not ex-pats then if they 'go home' after their shift. confused

They merely work away from home all week, as so many people have done and do.

growstuff Fri 09-Aug-19 13:03:24

I once worked somewhere, where one of the managers was never at his desk. This meant that other people had to take phone calls (yes, it was that long ago) and always said that this manager was busy or in a meeting.

After I'd been in the job a few months and was chatting with colleagues in the pub after work, I realised that this manager did almost nothing, apart from walk around the office block most of the day and hide in the toilet for long spells.

Everybody knew his face and it was true he probably knew everybody's names, but he delegated just about everything to assistant managers, who never got the credit and took the blame when anything went wrong.

After a while, it became clear that he was having a relationship with one of the assistant managers, who was effectively running the place.

Johnson has wanted to be PM for ages and has had loads of time to get his act together. It's become increasingly obvious that he hasn't really thought through anything and has "delegated" to Dominic Cummings, who is completely unnacountable to the electorate and seems to regard the whole thing as winning some game.

I can't understand why anybody would make excuses for Johnson.

janipat Fri 09-Aug-19 13:28:40

Well in my little London town, my neighbours are Scotts ex-pats, Irish ex-pats, Chinese ex-pats, Romanian ex-pats, Polish ex-pats, Maltese ex-pat ( my favourite neighbour smile ) Welsh married to Irish ex-pats, Turkish ex-pats and that's just within a dozen houses either side of me and the same across the road. I suppose my husband was a London ex-pat when he had to work away from home.
As for Johnson, much as I dislike him and abhor the fact he is our PM, I do think he'd be damned by someone whatever he did. He was never going to be doing anything to improve our lot, and by flitting around he's maybe doing least damage?

growstuff Fri 09-Aug-19 15:07:13

I guess there's something in that. He couldn't organise a proverbial booze up, so maybe he should stick to being a stand up comedian.

growstuff Fri 09-Aug-19 15:07:41

PS. He deserves to be damned!

SirChenjin Fri 09-Aug-19 15:19:28

Does Boris need to do any work when Cummings is running the country? I imagine Cummings et al want Boris out of the way so they've sent him on a grand tour of the UK to remind him what outer London looks like while they get on with the grown up job of wrecking the UK.

Not sure where the over 80% of people polled in Scotland about Trident DONT want it here comes from. That's not what the Scotland wide polls are saying, but maybe it was a poll in the National or on Wings over Scotland? I don't read either so may have missed it.

Baggs Fri 09-Aug-19 15:48:07

Actually, paddyann, thousands of Scots who live near Faslane are employed there and jolly glad to be so too.

Jabberwok Fri 09-Aug-19 15:59:43

Yes they were innocent people,but unfortunately for them they had a ruthless cruel paranoid government with a God for an Emperor and committed the most appalling savagery since Ghengis Khan. Remember the rape of Nankin?!! My stepfather was a POW with the Japanese and what he and anyone else who came into their clutches doesn't bear thinking about. The Japanese government were warned again and again but they simply wouldn't stop fighting and were determined to fight to the last person standing taking thousands of allied and Japanese troops,civilians (the countries they had conquered) and POW's with them. It's so easy to judge 70 years along the line, but the war in the far east had to end and, like the Nazi's the Japanese had to be stopped!

Callistemon Fri 09-Aug-19 16:40:22

Yes, as well as remembering the innocent Japanese civilians who lost their lives, we should also remember all those of many nationalities, men, women and children, who lost their lives at the hands of the Japanese and those who did survive the horrors inflicted on them from which so many never recovered.

Jabberwok Fri 09-Aug-19 17:16:01

It was a truly dreadful,appalling business. The cruelty of a government who not only refused to surrender after one hideous event but actually invited another before finally accepting defeat.

oldgoat Fri 09-Aug-19 17:40:29

GrannyGravy Corbyn IS about canvassing in preparation for a snap election. He was at a meeting in Outer York last week supporting the new Labour candidate.

He came across as a caring person representing a party with an excellent manifesto to improve the lives of the British people.

I have never been a particular fan of Corbyn but I have changed my opinion and would be happy to see him as PM of this country.

You wouldn't have heard about his canvassing tour because this sort of thing is not reported by the MSM.

Jabberwok Fri 09-Aug-19 17:54:19

Trouble with manifesto's, as we all now know to our cost, is that what a politician says to gain your vote is probably not what he means or will act upon! Remember, honouring and delivering Brexit? and we, poor fools, believed it!!!! Signing up to article 50, in order to do the exact opposite?! Politicians have forked tongues whoever they are, believe them at your peril????

GracesGranMK3 Fri 09-Aug-19 18:14:04

Following

GracesGranMK3 Fri 09-Aug-19 18:25:32

It seems he has achieved something. He told us that economic growth would fund the promises they’ve made. Today we heard that the economy shrank 0.2% – the worst performance since 2012.

MaizieD Fri 09-Aug-19 18:37:03

Politics is the 'art of the possible', Jabberwock. There are times when manifesto promises just aren't practicable to implement, or have to be watered down. As long as a government moves in the general direction of what is in their manifesto and manages to implement a great deal of it they can be forgiven for the bits that prove difficult or downright impossible.

We have to be adult about this. It's no good ignoring all explanation of why something couldn't be achieved and just saying, "But you promised", like a toddler. Nothing is as black and white as voters would like to believe.

May tried her bloody hardest to get a deal with the EU; unfortunately she painted herself into a corner right from the start by setting all those red lines and pissing off the Remainers by treating them as if they didn't exist.

If she'd really meant to sabotage the process she could have revoked A50 once she'd handed in her notice and left her successor to sort it out... a bit like her predecessor, really, who created this godawful mess then went off, humming a little tune, to leave others to do what they could with it.

Or, she could have declared the referendum void, being well aware that the result was unsafe, and had a clean re-run.

Namsnanny Fri 09-Aug-19 18:40:48

Leaders lead, workers work, advisors advise, and knowalls (like me wink) talk on GN!!

M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 19:19:33

But he isn't leading is he? Just barnstorming while leaving the leadership of the country in the hands of unsupervised deputies.

varian Fri 09-Aug-19 19:44:12

All of us who realise the danger our country faces because of the power of unelected SPADS, enelected newspaper proprietors, foreign billionaires and tax-exiles should campaign as strongly as we can to STOP BREXIT>

Namsnanny Fri 09-Aug-19 22:21:54

Depends what you think a leader should do I suppose.

Sit at a desk? Be a figure head? Take over and become a control freak? Trust others to do their jobs, and intercede when needed?

I don't claim to know, just saying.

M0nica Sat 10-Aug-19 09:04:24

I fail to see how somebody constantly rushing around the country like a blue-a**d fly can exercise any control at all at any level over anybody.

Even if you delegate everything, you need to instruct your underlings, meet with them regularly and make sure everything is going to plan, otherwise what is the point of having a senior manager in charge.

If a group of people are expected to run round like headless chickens doing a job without any input from the senior manager, why not sack the senior manager and save the cost of employing him.

Jabberwok Sat 10-Aug-19 10:34:08

Then perhaps politicians should make it crystal clear that their election 'promises' (and anything else) are just aspirations, then perhaps people from all walks of life wouldn't be so stupid as to be taken in. DC even put it in writing, remember the leaflet to every household?! obviously, as its turned out, this should have been to be taken with a pinch of salt! At the time people actually believed him! Along then, why would you not? Now, of course sadly you wouldn't actually believe anything any politician said. The duplicity and sheer dishonesty of our M.P's has been well and truly exposed by Brexit which perhaps for the future is a good thing!

MaizieD Sat 10-Aug-19 11:05:13

Then perhaps politicians should make it crystal clear that their election 'promises' (and anything else) are just aspirations,

I'm really surprised that any one at our time of life, who has had a lifetime's experience of politics, elections and different governments, would be so naive as to think that politicians are always able to translate their party's 'aspirations' into reality. Politicians don't invariably lie, they just don't always understand (along with most of the population) that sometimes their proposals cannot be implemented, or can only be partially implemented.

Cameron made a 'political' promise which was a) exceeding his powers under the constitution and b) foolhardy because, even if it had been made by Parliament (which it emphatically wasn't) a Parliament cannot bind its successors. Any action taken by a Parliament now can be amended or done away with altogether by a succeeding Parliament.

Just remember, if you must cling to the belief that MPs are duplicitous and dishonest, that those qualities are shared equally between politicians you approve of and those that you don't.

And that we now have arch liar-in-chief as our PM