Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wish Boris would actually do some work.

(85 Posts)
M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 09:58:28

Every day since Boris was elected the papers have had photos of him dashing round the country, first this place then that. like a bouncing cheque. If it's Tuesday, it is probably Barrow.

Am I alone in wishing he would get back to No 10, sit down at a desk and do some work, on Brexit, NHS, the No 10 rose garden, for all I care, but actually get down to work and not display all the symptoms of chronic procrastination, by constantly putting off knuckling down to work by visiting yet another, school/hospital/prison in England/Ireland/Scotand/Wales/Timbuctu

Jabberwok Sat 10-Aug-19 11:56:26

Parliament endorsed the way the referendum was run without a murmur , 80% of MP's signed up for article 50, in order, as it turned out, to keep their seats, (who would have thought?!!) MP 's went to a GE on the back of delivering Brexit! Are you telling me that the general public shouldn't have believed any of this? If so, how on earth can they, you know, ordinary folk without the benefits of higher education, without the intellectual high ground, possibly sift through any political information at any level and know what is to be believed and what is not? Not everyone has an academic background, not everyone reads serious papers, but I think even these sort of low achieving no hopers now recognise a vote catching, self serving politician when they hear one which has to be a good thing!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 10-Aug-19 12:34:50

Basically the electorate has been lied to!!

Jeremy Corbyn is on record (video and written) promising to "deliver Brexit" on at least 50 occasions.

Theresa May consistently said "No deal is better than a bad deal".

Boris Johnson is travelling the country to "make friends" with the electorate to let them see he is "a good guy"?

We have a weak government with a minuscule majority and an even weaker opposition..................basically we are bu****ed!!!!

Not one party sticks to its manifesto promises.

At the next election I shall vote for my sitting MP who has been consistent and is an exceptional constituency MP.

growstuff Sat 10-Aug-19 13:23:12

That's a good reason to vote for an MP. Mine is c**p and I'd say that whatever party she represented.

Jabberwok Sat 10-Aug-19 14:23:43

I think that's all anyone can do growstuff . If you have a good constituency MP with a proven track record, then you're best to stick with them, whatever their allegiance, and basically hope for the best!!!!

Jabberwok Sat 10-Aug-19 14:24:47

If you haven't, then???!!!!!

growstuff Sat 10-Aug-19 14:35:45

It's a problem. I live in a safe seat and have felt disenfranchised all my life. The new MP (since the last election) doesn't live here, doesn't answer emails, letters or social media messages. She doesn't seem to have a clue about real local issues. Even the "faithful" are beginning to see through her, but the opposition isn't strong. All she seems to care about is her own career and sucking up to whoever is in charge of the Tories. She appears on TV quite frequently and doesn't seem to have a mind of her own because all she does is come out with a load of soundbites to parrot the party line. As far as I know, she doesn't deliberately lie, but just ignores everybody. As far as many of us are concerned, she makes a mockery of democracy because she just seems to see being elected as a meal ticket. Our local MEPs are actually more concerned about the area (and speak up for it) than she is.

varian Sat 10-Aug-19 14:58:33

Most people end up being represented by an MP that they did not vote for and FPTP often results in an effectual dictatorship by a party supported by a minority of voters.

If we are seriously interested in making the UK a democracy there are are two things we must campaign for-

1 The urgent need to reject the high-jacking of our democracy in the fraudulent referendum of 2016 and Revoke Article 50 so that the UK remains in the EU

2 Change our electoral system to proportional representation.

Jabberwok Sat 10-Aug-19 15:38:13

Why did a majority of remain politicians vote for article 50 in the first place? Wasn't that just a teeny bit dishonest?! Why go to a GE sighting delivering Brexit as number 1 on the manifesto? At least say it's an aspiration not imply a definite hand on heart! surely these MP's weren't vote catching or making sure they kept their seats?!! shock Ken Clark did neither of the above, so however much you might disagree with him at least he's an honest MP, a rare breed indeed!!

MaizieD Sat 10-Aug-19 16:56:52

Why did a majority of remain politicians vote for article 50 in the first place?

Weren't they whipped?

jura2 Sat 10-Aug-19 17:02:31

and because they were not aware of the massive fraud and illegal targetting and interference either

and because they were assured we would get a great Deal

varian Sat 10-Aug-19 17:27:39

The LibDems did not vote for Article 50. Let's hope it can be revoked.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 10-Aug-19 17:56:39

Why did a majority of remain politicians vote for article 50 in the first place? Wasn't that just a teeny bit dishonest?!

It's not at all dishonest if you believe the government was going to work towards a deal - as we were very clearly told they were.

Dinahmo Sat 10-Aug-19 22:02:42

News about Dominic Cummings - apparently he is the co-owner of a farm that has received £235,000 in EU subsidies. According to a search of Land Registry and EU documents this farm (owned by DC, his parents and one other person) has received £20,000 pa for the last 2 decades.

My DH told me earlier that the EU is bringing in a law w.e.f 1 January 2020 that will weaken the power of the press magnates. Could this be a reason for the rush to leave on 31 October?

Labaik Sat 10-Aug-19 22:07:17

The Johnsons own a family farm too, don't they? Wonder how many EU subsidies they've had.

Callistemon Sun 11-Aug-19 18:32:06

Apparently in Euros, not £

Do you think he and his family should have refused the subsidies then?
It's not profit, it's designed to help farmers to help and protect the environment.

NotSpaghetti Sat 31-Aug-19 10:03:06

Well MaizieD - you were right -
He doesn't have to do any work, he's got Dominic Cummings doing it all for him.
Including sacking other people’s staff it seems - apparently twice.

luluaugust Sat 31-Aug-19 10:18:44

Is he getting ready for a General Election travelling round trying to meet the Country? Surely he delegates the work to other people and waits for them to bring him the results. Nobody will sort out the NHS until huge changes, probably unacceptable to the Electorate, are agreed. The No. 10 garden seems his best option.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 31-Aug-19 10:28:25

We have a national crisis and good old Boris thinks it will help to have an a question and answer time with group of primary school children. Maybe they can help solve the problem of getting us out of the EU.

Grandad1943 Sat 31-Aug-19 10:29:09

NotSpaghetti Quote [ Well MaizieD - you were right -
He doesn't have to do any work, he's got Dominic Cummings doing it all for him.
Including sacking other people’s staff it seems - apparently twice.] End Quote.

Well, according to many reports Boris Johnson has now had "a right ole bust-up" with Sajid Javid the chancellor of the exchequer who was not even informed that one of his staff had been sacked. So, this government already seems to be already "coming apart at the seams."

Of course, we should all expect this as it is very reminiscent of what happens in the Trump administration to which Johnson has so much admiration.

Shoequeen53 Sat 31-Aug-19 12:21:55

Cummings has sacked five of other people’s staff in a month, four of them women. As far as I can see, he’s the power behind the throne.

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 12:48:52

All advisors are powerful, ( remember Malcolm Tucker from The Thick Of It) a thinly disguised Alistair Campbell.
Corbyn has Seamus Milne and the whole of Momentum directing his every move.
For Johnson it’s Dominic Cummings.
There is much hypocrisy on this thread ‘ Johnson rushing about like a blue arsed fly’ etc, it sounds amusing, but when Corbyn is attending public meetings, rallies, visiting towns etc it’s called being ‘caring and sensitive’ by those same people.
He is the new PM, and visiting places in danger, like Whaley Bridge is part of a PM’s job ( T May wasn’t good at it.)

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 12:51:38

Javid having words with Johnson over the sacking of one of his staff does not equate with ‘this government coming apart at the seams’ Grandad43 ( however much you may wish it to be.)

NotSpaghetti Sat 31-Aug-19 13:45:49

Yes, lots of sackings Grandad1943, I was really thinking of Sajid Javid - apparently he has had two sacked now.... clearly not prepared to stand up to it though. Says he had “words” about it.
?

Shoequeen53 Sat 31-Aug-19 14:28:11

Apparently he had an incandescent shouting match with Johnson and Cummings at the conclusion of which Johnson apologised. Sounds like standing up to it from where I’m sitting.

Callistemon Sat 31-Aug-19 18:44:40

It does makje you wonder just who is running the country - first Campbell, now Cummins and if Labour got in then Milne.
All seemingly quite odious.

Is it worth voting?