Gransnet forums

News & politics

Problems with electricity supply yesterday

(43 Posts)
jura2 Sat 10-Aug-19 10:53:37

Where you affected and how?

Are you concerned it might happen again?

What on earth was that all about then?

grannylyn65 Sat 10-Aug-19 11:04:33

No problem in Scotland

Nonnie Sat 10-Aug-19 11:07:57

Apparently they have declared it was not a cyber attack. It was programmed in so that in certain circumstances the generators would shut down to save losing power over the whole country. What I find difficult to understand is them programming in shutting off the power in London and the SE. Doesn't seem very likely to me, I think they would have arranged for it to cut off places very far from London but then I can be very cynical at times grin.

I expect there will be lots of conspiracy theories

gillybob Sat 10-Aug-19 11:08:17

We weren’t affected but I’m convinced it was a cyber attack jura .

gillybob Sat 10-Aug-19 11:09:30

“They” would say that though wouldn’t they Nonnie hmm

EllanVannin Sat 10-Aug-19 11:10:55

Only off half an hour here in the NW.

Infrastructure again, like the dams, sewer system and all the other non-maintenance jobs that should have been renewed years ago. By the time the executives of these companies are paid, there's little left to pay the workers which is probably why there aren't that many left who are skilled. Shocking !!

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 10-Aug-19 11:18:11

I can only answer the first question.

Not affected.

We made the decision many moons ago (20 years) when we moved to build our own home - put a roof on a small derelict cottage (24m2 footprint). Western Power wanted £30,000 to connect us to the grid way back then! House is a bit bigger now.

We put our money into PV and wind turbine. We are totally off grid. If our power goes off, it's because we choose to turn it off.

~Hope your power is up and running again.

jura2 Sat 10-Aug-19 11:21:32

Amazing Woodmouse - would love info on your wind turbine, please. We have land attached to our house here that would be perfect.

yggdrasil Sat 10-Aug-19 11:22:00

No problem here in the West Country. But be prepared for many more cockups all over the place after Oct 31st

merlotgran Sat 10-Aug-19 11:24:22

I wondered how long it would be before this turned into another thread about Brexit. hmm

EllanVannin Sat 10-Aug-19 11:27:30

We'll just stock up on candles Yggdrasil as well as tinned stuff.

This was yet another man-made disaster though it's easier to blame Brexit or climate change.

tanith Sat 10-Aug-19 11:31:35

No problems in West London.

jura2 Sat 10-Aug-19 11:35:31

merlot - you did - no-one else so far - and certainly not me ;)

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 10-Aug-19 11:37:16

yggdrsail

News said

121,000 customers in the South West were affected by the national power outage.

Then cables down with the wind.

Looks like you escaped it all. Good.

glammanana Sat 10-Aug-19 11:42:13

Who did we blame before Brexit I wonder.
Somehow we managed during the 3 day week how did we manage that ?

crystaltipps Sat 10-Aug-19 11:45:18

Badly

EllanVannin Sat 10-Aug-19 12:14:37

I remember that vividly Glamma. Getting everything done and prepared before we were left in the dark.

Maybe this latest was a practice run hahahaha.

glammanana Sat 10-Aug-19 12:16:43

It was for half an hour in most places before the power was returned,yes there was a knock on effect but it hasn't taken days to correct as with the dam problem and people being evacuated from their homes for 3 days.

fizzers Sat 10-Aug-19 12:20:51

some outtages in West Yorkshire but not for too long, and not me personally

I did have trouble with Sky though

prestbury Sat 10-Aug-19 12:25:45

As had been said it is probably an infrastructure problem, not least caused by successive governments not investing in the future and stability of power supplies while sat around the table arguing over how it should be produced.

Hats off to the green lobby for all the wind farms around, although one of the failures yesterday was the wind farm generator off the North Yorkshire coast along with a southern gas generator.

eazybee Sat 10-Aug-19 12:29:42

Unaffected.
Think it was probably cause by the usual reason:
lack of foresight/ inefficiency by some one, somewhere.
Glad most people are restored to normal service.

eazybee Sat 10-Aug-19 12:30:17

probably caused

jura2 Sat 10-Aug-19 12:38:22

Glamma - I remember when in our damp and freezing apartment in the attic of a Victorian house on Putney Hill- we had the swap of gas systems and the miners' strikes. I was handicapped and could not go up or down the stairs- and was left in the flat for days and nights as OH worked 140+ hours per week at a local hospital.

During the 3 day week- we lived in Staffs- and lived at the Hospital, so was not personally affected, as such.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 10-Aug-19 14:11:12

jura2
WIND TURBINE

Can I PM you some info + a photo of what our land looks like to give you some idea. Or shall I post it all here.

Our turbine will produce 1kW which will be the top up for the winter. We don't need much sun to give us a low level of amount of power through the PV but do run short the odd day in winter period.

The mast is currently down as we are putting an extension on (to get it above the trees) + 3 blades ready for dark, short winter days. Old one had 2 blades.

jura2 Sat 10-Aug-19 14:52:33

Ah thanks - we have quite a bit of land, surrounded by farmland. My only concern is for birds- we have 1000s of wild birds here, and also birds of prey like hobbies, red kites, buzzards and sparrowhawks, and several species of bats.

But for a separate thread perhaps.