Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Harry less popular now?

(401 Posts)
Ohmother Mon 12-Aug-19 15:25:44

Reading on the BBC News page that Harry is less popular since booking up with Megan. I thought I liked Megan and that she would be a calming influence but now I think she’s influencing him to a ridiculous degree and they are both behaving like Hollywood divas. What are your thoughts?

Namsnanny Tue 13-Aug-19 13:29:13

Yes eazybee ‘it ever twas!’

Ohmother....great minds....? wink

wicklowwinnie Tue 13-Aug-19 13:46:54

Thank you Anniebach, I didn't realise that, so perhaps he will
when the time comes. Yes, I know there has always been adultery in the Monarchy. But, right from the start of the marriage ???

Anniebach Tue 13-Aug-19 13:51:06

I think Charles should be King. He has paid a heavy price for
being one half of a disastrous marriage.

wicklowwinnie Tue 13-Aug-19 13:58:20

How did he pay a heavy price? I must be missing something here. Diana paid a far heavier price and nobody warned her, least of all her grandmother who was a friend of the Queen Mother.

Sparklefizz Tue 13-Aug-19 13:59:55

wicklowwinnie I agree - like a lamb to the slaughter.

Anniebach Tue 13-Aug-19 14:03:15

I can’t agree .

SirChenjin Tue 13-Aug-19 14:12:30

Diana knew perfectly well what she was getting into - remember the interview when she said she'd been warned but felt she couldn't get out of it 'because the tea towels had all been printed'? I feel very sorry for both of them - to be miserable in a marriage from the outset because you were fulfilling a duty isn't something I'd wish on anyone.

Anniebach Tue 13-Aug-19 14:17:08

Johnnie Spencer had his daughters lined up for marriage to
Charles.

Why else did Diana say ‘I knew I had to keep myself tidy’ ?
a voice from heaven or her father ?

Jabberwok Tue 13-Aug-19 14:18:02

I don't think so!!! Diana knew perfectly well what she was getting into! The Spencers moved in exactly the same social circles as the RF! Charles had even dated her elder sister!
Both Charles and Diana were victims of their plotting, devious
Grandmothers, a nation who wanted a fairy tale princess, a family who were desperate for a virgin bride (Charles liked older women!) and an heir and a spare. Recipe for disaster and fault on several sides but not wholly Charles's!

Sparklefizz Tue 13-Aug-19 14:18:55

I know you don't Annie and I'm not going to get into an argument with you about Diana, but you can't dispute that she was only 19, a naive and innocent romantic girl, and she and Charles hardly knew each other. Charles certainly knew what he was doing - he was a man of the world - but Diana should have backed out when she had doubts, which it is well known that she did. When she confided her misgivings in one of her sisters, the sister replied "You can't! Your face is on the tea towels now!" thinking it was just "cold feet" before the wedding.

Sadly Diana did not have the solid family backup that a young woman needs when marrying into that position - which certainly a girl of only 19 would need who has not even "lived" - and no support from the RF who I think have learnt from that mistake.

So whatever your feelings about Diana herself (and I know that yours, Annie are very strongly held), she was a lamb to the slaughter. I think she truly did love Charles because what other motive could she have had for marrying him....
certainly not for money .... but had no idea what she was letting herself in for.

Anniebach Tue 13-Aug-19 14:23:35

Agree Jabberwok, she grew up at Sandringham, went to
Balmoral for holidays. The Queen is Godmother to her brother.

She hated country life , they met in a field ! Doubt she walked fields after the marriage.

Anniebach Tue 13-Aug-19 14:35:48

Sparkle she wanted to be Princess of Wales , good reason to marry ?

Perhaps she was in love with love, she loved Barry Manakee
3 years after her marriage 1984, then adored and loved Hewitt in 1986.

She said herself she threw herself down stairs when pregnant with William . The poor girl was mentally ill.

I think she was seeking something which didn’t exist , so sad

Framilode Tue 13-Aug-19 15:35:40

Diana fell in love with the Prince of Wales not Charles the man. When she was a child her local vicar's wife said she was 'the most scheming little girl she had ever met'.

I think the whole story of the marriage was very sad but Diana was very good at presenting herself as a victim and Charles as her persecutor. These stories now seem to have been accepted as fact.

MissAdventure Tue 13-Aug-19 15:38:38

Whatever love is...

Calendargirl Tue 13-Aug-19 15:58:02

I don’t think he gets money from the Civil List, I think that’s just the Queen and the D of E, though I might be wrong. Thought Charles funded him?

Jabberwok Tue 13-Aug-19 15:59:21

I think Diana was in love with love! Yes it certainly was an unfortunate comment and how he must have regretted it, but which one of us hasn't said something tactless and stupid, but for us it would be a strictly private matter, for poor PC it was round the world in a flash, with accompanying ridicule!

Sparklefizz Tue 13-Aug-19 16:15:18

Yes it certainly was an unfortunate comment and how he must have regretted it, but which one of us hasn't said something tactless and stupid, but for us it would be a strictly private matter, for poor PC it was round the world in a flash, with accompanying ridicule!

We might say something "tactless and stupid" but not when we've had 30 years of experience and training to speak in public....no?

paddyann Tue 13-Aug-19 16:51:06

He's his mothers son ,wants the press on his terms and then complains about them .She was manipulative in the extreme ,he's heading the same way .

Minniemoo Tue 13-Aug-19 16:54:54

Maybe Charles had been listening to Foreigner that day.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 17:03:44

I think it would have been great if, when he said that stupid "whatever love is", she had taken the ring off on the spot and handed it back to him. On the telly.

Just my little fantasy.

Smileless2012 Tue 13-Aug-19 17:06:42

Gonegirl and said 'when you find out what love is, ask me again'.

Gonegirl Tue 13-Aug-19 17:07:34

Absolutely Smileless!

Anniebach Tue 13-Aug-19 17:39:41

She wouldn’t have taken the ring off, with the ring went the
queen consorts crown.

Day6 Tue 13-Aug-19 18:52:16

I think it would have been great if, when he said that stupid "whatever love is", she had taken the ring off on the spot and handed it back to him. On the telly

Oh yes Gonegirl grin

Must admit, that "Whatever love is" remark made my blood run cold. She must have felt hurt.

It was almost like "She'll do for now to provide the heirs I need."

Diana at 19 was shy, insecure and uncertain, not at all manipulative or scheming. Once hurt by Charles, the wormed turned, and rightly so. Good for her! She played him at his own adulterous game because she was hurt and betrayed and sidelined - by Charles and his family and his coterie of posh, older friends.

I cheered her on for fighting back.Maybe because I had a rotten, neglectful, selfish husband at the time too, and small children. I felt her isolation and pain because mine was similar. She could have stayed quiet and meek within that gilded cage and not rocked the boat, adopted the regal stiff upper lip and the blind eye to his dalliances but she was hurting. Wouldn't any of us felt lonely, unloved and betrayed? By then she had found her feet so she played him at his own game. I liked her immensely. Divorce was the only way forward for both of them.

I think Charles is happy with Camilla. She is right for him, but the oaf should have declined marriage to Diana. He may have tried to love her, but they were very different people and he had a royal life he maintained without her. He continued his affair with a married woman. That was cruel.

I feel Harry and Meghan are very different people too, but Harry will make it work I imagine. One wonders when the newness of it all wears off ( screen star sexy wife, wedding, new glamorous 'friends' new baby, new home, new way of life) if they'll grow even closer. Harry does seem like a very different, spoilt, stuffy, opinionated, conceited and almost arrogant young man these days. His relaxed charm, sense of fun and friendliness seems to have deserted him.

Buffybee Tue 13-Aug-19 18:59:37

I used to love Harry but I must admit that I've gone off him a bit recently.
He was fine when he and Meghan were courting and even after the Wedding but he seems to have changed since the baby.
It might be over- protectivness but he's not the same happy chappy he was.