Gransnet forums

News & politics

Parliament suspended. Democracy?!

(98 Posts)
ayse Wed 28-Aug-19 16:22:53

So Boris, elected by 0.5% of the population has now done the dirty! I’m appalled and greatly worried by this action. He is playing politics at a time of national crisis.

Where is the democracy in any of this? I’m so ????

jura2 Wed 28-Aug-19 21:44:11

Jane10 mark François said today that ERG and co would not vote for the Deal, even if the EU dropped the backstop.

lemongrove Wed 28-Aug-19 21:48:56

Well, they could drop it then, and see what happens!

jura2 Wed 28-Aug-19 21:54:17

what happens where? In Ireland and NI? In the EU when unsafe cattle, sheep, drugs, produce, people start to enter the EU from NI?

Opal Wed 28-Aug-19 21:57:46

Unsafe people are already entering the UK from the EU!

varian Thu 29-Aug-19 21:39:55

Boris Johnson knows very well that two thirds of UK voters and two thirds of MPs do not want a no deal brexit and would do anything they could to stop it because of the appalling damage it could do to our country.

However he does not care a toss for the best interests of democracy or the future of our country. BJ only cares for himself.

growstuff Thu 29-Aug-19 23:01:18

What about WTO tariffs, which are currently 11p per litre of milk? How is that going to be solved?

Smileless2012 Thu 29-Aug-19 23:03:19

How does Boris or anyone else for that matter know that "two thirds of UK voters" don't want a no deal brexit? Has there been another referendum? Have I missed something?

MaizieD Thu 29-Aug-19 23:17:17

Polls, Smileless, polls...

Polls might be a few points out in either direction, but as they've consistently shown that about 70% of the country doesn't want 'no deal' a few points out isn't really going to materially affect the result...

What is scary is that a poll earlier this year showed that about 25% of the people who said they supported 'no deal' actually thought that 'no deal' meant we'd just stay in the EU...

growstuff Thu 29-Aug-19 23:57:13

The government's media team is currently working flat out to delete any tweets ministers have made in the past promising not to prorogue parliament. I've watched some of them just disappear. They can't delete anything which has been retweeted, including some videos.

So this is democracy? Taking back control? Hah bl**dy hah! This is the kind of thing that goes on in Russia.

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 00:00:14

One tweet which has now been deleted...

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 00:02:18

twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1167010726088773632

MaizieD Fri 30-Aug-19 00:04:19

Can they delete 'unrolled threads' do you think, *growstuff'. I linked to one with all the ministers' former pronouncements on prorogation earlier today. I'd better download it to my laptop. [Shock]

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 00:06:45

Sajid Javid's media advisor has been sacked by Dominic Cummings. This is a link to the Huffington Post, but the Telegraph is also reporting the story.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/sajid-javid-media-adviser-dominic-cummings_uk_5d6821e3e4b06beb649b44bd

Does anybody remember voting for Dominic Cummings? Democracy?

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 00:08:28

No, I don't think they can. Loads of people are retweeting, but they'll think of some way smearing the retweeters. Probably all "Remoaners" or third columnists or something.

Tragically, I don't think people care about the truth any more.

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 00:11:07

Maizie Was it the video of these quotes?

MaizieD Fri 30-Aug-19 00:27:08

Not a video, just the twitter thread consolidated by the 'thread unroll' twitter account. Have you not seen it before?

The anti prorogation petition is accelerating like crazy:

splasho.com/petitions/index.php?petition=269157

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 00:31:34

Yes, I have seen it, but I can't link to it directly.

There are posters on here who really couldn't care. That's the most tragic aspect of all this.

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 00:32:00

PS. I've just been called "nasty and low". Ha ha ha!

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 00:55:53

15 minutes worth watching (if you're not totally blinkered)

twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1167192709431300096

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 01:40:20

How Tory MPs used to talk about prorogation

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksT1UDzTtY

crystaltipps Fri 30-Aug-19 07:20:45

Well there’s been so many lies. Nigel in 2016 saying that we’d have a Norway style deal and remain in the single market put for one....

GrannyGravy13 Wed 04-Sep-19 14:37:37

Lord Doherty rules “suspension of Parliament is political territory” and courts cannot rule on it.

Petition rejected!

Firecracker123 Wed 04-Sep-19 14:40:36

?

varian Tue 10-Sep-19 09:35:56

Boris Johnson lied about considering prerogation of parliament

twitter.com/bumsore/status/1171172629061017600?s=09

Elegran Tue 10-Sep-19 10:03:09

Forwarded here is the Cabinet response sent to all 1,721,669 of those who signed the petition "Do not prorogue Parliament - Parliament must not be prorogued or dissolved unless and until the Article 50 period has been sufficiently extended or the UK's intention to withdraw from the EU has been cancelled." I received it this morning, after watching the lively HoC debate yesterday. Sorry it is a bit long.

"Government responded:

Prorogation is a prerogative Act of the Crown, exercised on the advice of Ministers. We must respect the referendum result and the UK will be leaving the EU on 31 October whatever the circumstances.

The UK will be leaving the EU on 31 October whatever the circumstances. We must respect the referendum result.

Prorogation is a prerogative Act of the Crown, exercised on the advice of Ministers, to bring about the end of the parliamentary session. The royal prerogative is the term used to describe the powers held by Government Ministers, either in their own right, or through the advice they provide to the Queen which she is bound constitutionally to follow. The Government determines the length of a parliamentary session and advises the Queen on the date for the beginning of the next parliamentary session.

The beginning of the next session is marked by the State Opening of Parliament during which the Queen delivers the Queen’s Speech. The Queen’s Speech sets out the programme of legislation the Government intends to pursue in the forthcoming parliamentary session.

As the Prime Minister said in his statement on 2 September 2019, the Government has committed to recruiting another 20,000 police officers, improving both NHS and schools funding, and completing 20 new hospital upgrades. It is to progress the Government’s agenda on these and many other fronts that the Prime Minister has sought to commence a new session of Parliament in October.

Parliament is only dissolved before a General Election. Dissolution brings an end to a Parliament. The effect of a dissolution is all business comes to an end and every seat in the House of Commons is vacated until a General Election is held.

Under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011, General Elections are now automatically held every five years and the next general election is scheduled for May 2022. The Fixed-term Parliaments Act removed the prerogative power to dissolve Parliament; no longer can the Prime Minister advise the sovereign to dissolve Parliament and call a General Election.

The Fixed-term Parliaments Act also provides the basis on which an early General Election can be triggered:

1. If a motion for an early general election is agreed either by at least two-thirds of the whole House of Commons or without a vote; or

2. If a motion of ‘no confidence’, in the terms set out in the Fixed-term Parliaments Act, is passed and no subsequent motion expressing confidence in Her Majesty’s Government is passed by the Commons within 14 days.

In the event of an early-general election, the Fixed-term Parliaments Act allows the Prime Minister to recommend a suitable polling day to the Queen. There will be a Royal Proclamation to set the date. Parliament is then automatically dissolved 25 working days before polling day.

The Government would prefer to leave the EU with a deal and will work in an energetic and determined way to get a better deal. The Government is very willing to sit down with the Commission and EU Member States to talk about what needs to be done to achieve that.

The Prime Minister has said an election needs to take place ahead of the European Council on 17 to 18 October. This would allow the Prime Minister to go to the European Council with a clear mandate from the British people to deliver the referendum result.

^Cabinet Office^"