Gransnet forums

News & politics

Parliament suspended. Democracy?!

(98 Posts)
ayse Wed 28-Aug-19 16:22:53

So Boris, elected by 0.5% of the population has now done the dirty! I’m appalled and greatly worried by this action. He is playing politics at a time of national crisis.

Where is the democracy in any of this? I’m so ????

GracesGranMK3 Wed 11-Sep-19 11:08:48

Thanks Grany.

Fennel Wed 11-Sep-19 11:44:21

I've been watching BBC news - the decision of the Scottish court has to be confirmed by the Supreme court in London, on Tuesday.
Let's hope some of the self seekers don't have influence with the judges.
The bit I also found disturbing was that Johnson had misled the Queen about the reason behind prorogation ie it was really to 'stymie' Parliament in their debates on brexit.

trisher Wed 11-Sep-19 12:14:05

Woo! Justice in Scotland! Len McClusky warning Boris to stay away from Sotland because he could be liable for a citizens arrest grin

paddyann Wed 11-Sep-19 12:50:00

Please Boris come visit ,I'd pay good money to see you arrested .

Gonegirl Wed 11-Sep-19 12:52:36

It does get more and more entertaining. Looking forward to next Tuesday for next instalment. grin

Blinko Wed 11-Sep-19 12:58:40

BJ has always promised to get the UK out of the EU by hook or by crook by 31st October. No holds barred.

Why is anyone surprised?

Labaik Wed 11-Sep-19 13:09:50

Then he shouldn't have chickened out of standing for PM first time round, should he.

varian Wed 11-Sep-19 18:58:31

"by hook or by crook"

crook being the operative word.

varian Wed 11-Sep-19 19:41:35

"No 10 resists demands to recall parliament after Scottish prorogation ruling"

www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/sep/11/brexit-latest-news-public-would-not-benefit-from-hearing-official-worst-case-no-deal-assumptions-says-leadsom-live-news

This minority government will ignore the verdict of the Scottish Court at its peril.

Elegran Sat 14-Sep-19 11:43:22

James Cook has been wading through the full judgment from Scotland's highest civil court, the Court of Session, on the prorogation of parliament, with some points he thinks intersting.
Scottish judges judgment and comments on it

Jabberwok Sat 14-Sep-19 12:31:24

One good thing though, is that we've had three whole days not counting Friday where we haven't had to listen or see screaming screeching MP's every time while watching the news! Another week or two of peace from these morons would be blissful!

Elegran Sat 14-Sep-19 13:11:32

If we had a dictator with sole power and no tiresome elected MPs to argue with him, Jabberwok, you'd never have to listen to a single MP again. The dictator would never have to listen to you or your representative either, but hey! what the hell!

nannypink1 Sat 14-Sep-19 15:40:02

Second referendum without implementing the results of the first ! Democracy?

Day6 Sat 14-Sep-19 16:18:11

Currently he's trying to negotiate with EU while they just think anything he does will just be negated by Westminster

That's exactly it. Jane10 We shouldn't have a parliament assisting the EU in it's aims to make leaving as difficult as possible.

I also wonder what part of the EU's proclamation that the WA was not negotiable, and that there were no more deals to be had Remainer Parliamentarians didn't understand?

The deal we have is dreadful. It cannot be accepted and if after three years of a remainer parliament resorting to any method available to them to thwart the government, then they cannot be surprised that someone has to step up to the plate and break the deadlock.

The EU has the ball. Let's see how THEY play it before Oct 31st.

Grandad1943 Sat 14-Sep-19 17:21:28

Day6 Quote [ The EU has the ball. Let's see how THEY play it before Oct 31st.] End Quote.

Day6, the ball is not in the European Unions court as I am sure you well realise.

The EU have told Johnson to come forward with alternative solutions to the Irish border issue and/or the Backstop. However, they are stating that despite all his bluster Johnson has so far throughout his time in office come forward with nothing..... Absolutely zilch.

All are still waiting.

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 18:54:10

Grandad is right. The EU agreed an agreement. The UK hasn't come up with an alternative proposal, despite Johnson's gung-ho attitude. The EU have stuck to its side of the deal.

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 18:54:59

Democracy isn't just about putting a cross in a box.

Nandalot Sat 14-Sep-19 19:27:27

Why do Leavers always blame Remainers for not accepting
TM’s deal? Many hard Brexiteers voted against it as not going far enough.

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 19:34:26

They like blaming others.

varian Sat 14-Sep-19 21:37:29

It is classic populism growstuff

First you encourage folk who may or may not be disadvantaged to feel even more disadvantaged.

Then you identify a culprit who should be blamed.

In 1930s Germany it was the Jews.

In 2016 fraudulent referendum it was the EU.

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 21:43:39

I'm not claiming you shouldn't do it, but I am claiming that you could do it, which I understand is Gervais' point.

There's a difference between morality and legality.

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 21:44:22

Ooops! Wrong thread! :-(