Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does anyone know what Boris intends to do about the Irish border if he gets his no deal?

(145 Posts)
Gonegirl Fri 30-Aug-19 11:03:14

Surely some things will still be imported from the EU.

Does he really not give a toss about NI's fragile peace. Is he really so hell-bent only with keeping in with Trump?

THAT is worrying.

lemongrove Fri 30-Aug-19 17:03:58

growstuff
What a bigoted post from you about Protestants in NI.

lemongrove Fri 30-Aug-19 17:04:23

Ironic really!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Aug-19 17:09:59

lemon unclear that you are clear what the backstop means.

If you are clear perhaps you can tell us how that reconciles with your statement about getting a deal?

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 17:11:54

Why do you think we will get a deal?

As things stand, it's not in the EU's interests to give the UK any kind of deal now. They are better off letting us go WTO and taking the economic hit on the chin.

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 17:13:19

I'm entitled to my opinion (as GNers are fond of saying when people disagree with them).

lemongrove Fri 30-Aug-19 17:27:18

As am I growstuff.

lemongrove Fri 30-Aug-19 17:29:11

Of course it’s in the EU’s interests to get a deal!! ????

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Aug-19 17:58:28

lemon would be genuinely interested in your reply about the backstop.

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 19:38:28

Why is it?

The EU is group of 27 countries, who have been making contingency plans for months. They're available on the European Commission website for all to read.

The UK represents a small percentage of EU trade. The EU doesn't need the UK to survive. If you believe that, you were sold a pup.

lemongrove Fri 30-Aug-19 19:51:39

I didn’t say the EU needed us to survive, but......they will certainly miss our cash contributions as we and France and Germany were the biggest contributors to the EU coffers.
That money will have to come from somewhere.

annep1 Fri 30-Aug-19 19:59:11

Growstuff I was born a Protestant in Northern Ireland.
I have lived all my life here and still suffer the effects of living with terrorism.
I find your remark extremely offensive.. Perhaps you would care to explain.
I'm surprised that your comment hasnt been deleted.

annep1 Fri 30-Aug-19 20:01:17

BTE it's not Aileen.

kircubbin2000 Fri 30-Aug-19 20:01:29

Most protestants don't support the DUP. We lead normal lives just like you. What we are up against are British hating Sinn Fein who block any agreement by wanting to spend thousands translating documents into Irish which few speak. They will change road signs etc into Irish too. What a waste of money when schools and hospitals suffer.Dup are as bad.They will never agree but continue to take their salaries.

Farmor15 Fri 30-Aug-19 20:16:28

Teetime Taoiseach is pronounced theeshock - the T is between t and th. He’s prime minister. Elected president is equivalent to Queen in terms of role - officially head of state but not political.

Unfortunately, the Irish border was never properly discussed pre- Brexit referendum and most British politicians don’t understand it. There’s been vague mention of technological solutions but no-one has actually come up with one.

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 20:24:46

kircubbin I'm not against Protestants (or Catholics for that matter). I could have written the same about Sinn Fein, but the discussion was about the DUP - and I stand by what I think of the DUP "brand".

annep1 Fri 30-Aug-19 20:25:26

Kircubbin I wouldnt bother trying to explain to be honest.
As for the assembly. I think its wrong that MLAs who want to work should lose their salary through no fault of their own.
And I have no intention of getting into a discussion here.

annep1 Fri 30-Aug-19 20:28:31

Last comment should read BTW it's not Aileen.

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 20:28:53

No, it doesn't all have to come from somewhere because a considerable amount came back to the UK in grants. Not only that, but trade between countries could increase, as the UK is no longer part of the equation.

German car exports to the UK are already suffering since the UK's increase in road tax for high emissions cars. That has little to do with the EU, but internal problems in the German automotive industry. It's also why Germany is investing heavily in battery technology for electric cars.

annep1 Fri 30-Aug-19 20:30:22

Growstuff you still haven't explained why you would knock Protestant heads together.

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 20:31:04

annepl Why do you find it offensive? I'm not criticising you unless you happen to be an extremist with politics based on outdated religion.

growstuff Fri 30-Aug-19 20:35:19

I wouldn't. As a teenager, I would have knocked Protestant and Catholic heads together. As far as I was concerned, they were all Christians and I didn't understand why they hated each other so much. As far as I was concerned, we outgrew all that nonsense hundreds of years ago. Mind you, it helps to understand why Sunni and Shia Muslims hate each other.

BTW I was born and bred on Merseyside. Many of my friends were Irish (from both sides of the border) and I lived through the fear of the troubles, worried sick every time I walked through Liverpool town centre.

annep1 Fri 30-Aug-19 20:49:42

I take it you neant knock together the geads of Protestants and Catholics.
You weren't clear.

don't have much sympathy for the Protestants in NI.

Can you explain why?

annep1 Fri 30-Aug-19 20:53:34

Correction
I take it you meant knock together the heads of both Protestants and Catholics

paddyann Fri 30-Aug-19 20:55:00

annepl ,the terrorism came from BOTH sides ,something many conveniently forget here .I have family in NI who suffered at the hands of protestant terrorists .There's no difference in the outcome regardless of what religion they proclaim they are .Both are just as vile and to blame .

annep1 Fri 30-Aug-19 21:07:33

True Paddyann.