Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does anyone know what Boris intends to do about the Irish border if he gets his no deal?

(145 Posts)
Gonegirl Fri 30-Aug-19 11:03:14

Surely some things will still be imported from the EU.

Does he really not give a toss about NI's fragile peace. Is he really so hell-bent only with keeping in with Trump?

THAT is worrying.

DidoLaMents Mon 02-Sep-19 19:42:00

Farmor15 thanks for your answer on Irish citizenship but my grandparents/grgrandparents moved to Liverpool for work. I was born in Liverpool after they had died!

growstuff Mon 02-Sep-19 20:41:58

I'm trying to get my head round this, but I think I'm too tired.

Imagine this scenario...

Two people working in the same office in Dublin. One was born in Derry, but opted for both Irish and UK passports. The other was also born in Derry, currently has the right to live/work in the RoI, but has a UK passport.

If the company wants to send them to an EU country to work for six months, the one with the Irish passport can go, but the one with the UK passport can't.

DidoLaMents Mon 02-Sep-19 23:59:52

Growstuff Obviously under current UKEU status both of them could go anywhere within the EU. as they both have freedom of movement. But GFA granted NI citizens and RoI citizens the same rights to ‘birthright protection’. So they could chose which passport they wanted to hold. Or opt for duel nationality. This did not appear significant because I dare say nobody thought we would leave the EU. It only becomes a problem when we leave esp with no deal. Anyone holding a UKEU Passport will have to exchange it for a new Blue non EU one because all will cease to be valid (if we leave with a deal then our passports maybe valid for a couple of years, possibly?) Anyone with a RoIEU one does not. So you can turn over in your head as I have done a multitude of scenarios. Two people in the same family one has duel nationality the other a U.K. non EU Passport. They both want to go and study in let’s say Paris, but only one has the right, and access to all the existing benefits of free movement; the Erasmus system will end with No deal Brexit. Where does a citizen who opted to hold a U.K. passport but lives in the republic stand? Unless the GFA is guarded by dare I say it the Backstop possibly(?) the citizen will cease to have birthright protection. So what do RoI do, give them RoI citizenship? Or send them back to NI where they may never have lived? I, just as you do I suppose, would like to know if Boris has thought this one through? Cos it’s not really about borders... it’s about people..... it’s about peace.

growstuff Tue 03-Sep-19 00:09:59

Spot on, Dido. It's bonkers. It also means that the island of Ireland will be different from the rest of the UK. As long as person stays within NI/RoI, he/she is protected by the original Common Travel Area agreements, which I didn't realise includes the Channels Islands and the Isle of Man.

So NI and RoI citizens can move around as much as they want within NI/RoI, but as soon as they want to go abroad, they are treated differently.

growstuff Tue 03-Sep-19 00:21:34

Despite Johnson's gungho acceptance of Merkel's 30 day challenge, it appears he's done absolutely nothing, which isn't any surprise. How much longer can he keep this up?

It seems highly likely that he'll take the UK out of the EU on 31 October without a deal, but he's not going to win in the long term. Negotiations over deals will continue for years, if not decades. Somebody's going to have to pay for his election bribes and it won't be long before people really begin to feel the effects in their pocket as well as experiencing other restrictions.

I just hope he and his cronies don't damage the country too much. Our international reputation has already taken a hit and Cummings will be long gone, to wreak havoc elsewhere, in pursuit of his aims to change world order.

The next few days will really show up the MPs who really care for their country.

annep1 Tue 03-Sep-19 00:23:39

Part of an article on BBC News in January

Blinko Tue 03-Sep-19 11:07:52

Does anyone know what Boris intends to do about the Irish border if he gets his no deal?

If Boris doesn't know (and he doesn't, imo) then no one does. No deal will inevitably mean a hard border either on the island of Ireland or in the Irish Sea.

How can it be otherwise?

DidoLaMents Tue 03-Sep-19 13:24:36

Thanks annepl. Sadly my grandparents older siblings were born in Ireland but the younger ones (my grandfather included) were born after my grgrandparents moved to Liverpool. Maybe I could get special circumstances cos I’m originally from Liverpool?!smile

whywhywhy Tue 03-Sep-19 13:29:25

This is just running away and out of control now. I don't think Boris knows himself what the hell is going on. Don't ask me I am about to have a gin and tonic and to hell with all of this politics! x

Labaik Tue 03-Sep-19 14:32:04

….I think I might join you wine….

annep1 Tue 03-Sep-19 15:20:23

What a shame Didolaments . Bad luck.
It's such a mess atm - according to my OH. I stopped listening a long tine ago. I cannot utter either B word without getting stressed! Actually its 3 B words now!

annep1 Tue 03-Sep-19 15:21:23

tine time

humptydumpty Tue 03-Sep-19 15:25:00

annepl 2 B words come immediately to mind but I can't think what the 3rd one is...!

annep1 Tue 03-Sep-19 15:31:55

Brexit Boris Backstop
Deep calming breath now.......
Maybe that's not quite the B words you were thinking of ?

absthame Tue 03-Sep-19 16:14:30

Johnson will do what he always does, create chaos with his lies and sit back and watch the fires burning in the island of Ireland, together with the increasing bodies filling the extra bodybags ordered by the government in anticipation of brexit and presumably the bloodbath that ensues from it.

annep1 Tue 03-Sep-19 17:34:33

Very pessimistic.

varian Tue 03-Sep-19 18:21:29

Everything might be in the process of changing for the better annep.

We have a strong hope that a no deal brexit cannot happen and a good hope that the brexit nonsense can be cancelled altogether.

DidoLaMents Tue 03-Sep-19 20:05:15

Ah Varian I welcome your optimism. But the brains behind Boris (annepl that’s another scary 3Bs!) is Cummings. He has his own agenda. He wants to bring down Parliament and Johnson is his patsy. Don’t know about you but I thought Johnson was rambling, uninspiring and weak today, not PM material at all. And why would you weaken your party even more by deselection? The plan is he has no plan, that’s why he won’t submit to scrutiny. He is not the gambler; that’s why he has nothing in his hand. I don’t think he is stupid but he is vain and lazy; a crucial combination for Cummings who is a dangerous manipulative man, who holds everyone in contempt .

varian Tue 03-Sep-19 20:11:56

I agree Dido

My optimis0tic hope i0s that Boris Johnson will become the shortest serving PM ever.

absthame Tue 03-Sep-19 20:58:05

Amen to that Varian

DidoLaMents Tue 03-Sep-19 23:38:15

I agree wholeheartedly Varian. But who will fill the vacuum created by the events of the next couple of days?

Labaik Wed 04-Sep-19 00:07:21

It was interesting what Caroline Lucas said about how the British constitution [?] needed to be changed; it has seemed to me for quite a while that a lot of things seem to depend on gentlemen's agreements and a lot of things need more clarity. Much as I'm finding Parliament absolutely fascinating [dare I say entertaining albeit in a gruesome sort of way] at the moment, I do think it needs to be updated. And, even though Bercow is my absolute hero, it seems wrong that one person should have so much power over what does or doesn't get debated.

growstuff Thu 05-Sep-19 01:55:04

A powerful film with Peter Oborne (Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail) about the realities of Brexit for the Irish border.

twitter.com/i/status/1169309541902770182

growstuff Thu 05-Sep-19 01:56:54

One man in the film survived after being shot 18 times, but all his friends died.

growstuff Thu 05-Sep-19 02:27:55

Meanwhile, Rees-Mogg thinks we can return to a situation just like the Troubles

twitter.com/i/status/1033033628303941638

I hope he watches Oborne's film.