Gransnet forums

News & politics

Stop the Coup

(172 Posts)
varian Sat 31-Aug-19 14:57:53

Protesters demand Boris Johnson 'stop the coup' as thousands march across UK against parliament shutdown

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-protests-today-latest-parliament-london-boris-johnson-parliament-a9086486.html

trisher Sat 31-Aug-19 19:28:17

Ooh I'm now not only hard-left but ugly and violent!! I can only say that the people I saw around me were reasonable and nice people some of them older some younger. Most of them had come out because they were seriously concerned about democracy. It's 200 years since Peterloo but some still don't accept political demonstration and the right to protest.

varian Sat 31-Aug-19 19:29:43

Which site have you googled? Flat earthers?

varian Sat 31-Aug-19 19:30:17

That last post was to Joelsnan who doesn't like facts.

Shoequeen53 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:30:59

Boris is doing it for Boris. It’s tragic to see how little value people place on democracy. And the height of irony that those who wanted sovereignty returned are now cheering as Cummings destroys it.

Joelsnan Sat 31-Aug-19 19:33:03

varian
Enough now, your childish reposts are tiring.

varian Sat 31-Aug-19 19:34:33

I like to check facts Joelsnan

Believing in fairies and unicorns is childish.

Dyffryn Sat 31-Aug-19 19:42:10

I think many of the protesters like me are reminded of The Handmaiden's Tale

"That was when they suspended the Constitution. They said it would be temporary. There wasn't even rioting on the streets, people stayed at home watching television, looking for some direction".

Chilling...

That’s why I have been on the streets protesting today. We all know why Johnson has prorogued Parliament. So no one can challenge him. What do we have a Parliament for, if it’s not to challenge government?

trisher Sat 31-Aug-19 20:09:00

Doesn't matter how many countries there are. The shortest length of time it took for any Trade deal was 2 years and that was with 1 country. Not a good prospect.

growstuff Sat 31-Aug-19 20:18:34

Oh dear! I feel sooooooo bad about being an ugly and violent leftie who prefers truth (which is apparently childish) to mindless soundbites. sad wink

Urmstongran Sat 31-Aug-19 20:26:52

Not at all organic looking at those professionally made placards they were handing out ..

trisher Sat 31-Aug-19 20:49:57

Here's the Newcastle ugly violent people

growstuff Sat 31-Aug-19 21:09:34

Ugly and violent …

Ooops! Wrong side!

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 21:23:05

This thread is going from bad to worse.
Growstuff your posts are childish in the extreme.

Nonnie Sun 01-Sep-19 11:18:48

Day6 don't know where you were but you appear to have been at the only demonstration which was not peaceful! I watched both C4 & BBC news last night and they both said all the protests were peaceful. I suggest they have a rather more rational view.

Grandad1943 Sun 01-Sep-19 11:34:22

Nonnie Quote [Day6 don't know where you were but you appear to have been at the only demonstration which was not peaceful!] End Quote

Nonnie, Day6 has been speaking in posts for a number of days now in regard to disorder and violence in the streets.

That forum member even spoke of "civil war" in a post on Friday 30/08/19. @-13:28, on this News & Polotics section which stated:-

Day6 Quote [ The civil war stops when aggrieved, sore losers stop belly-aching.] End quote.

Makes you wonder?

varian Sun 01-Sep-19 11:50:23

We CAN stop the coup!

varian Sun 01-Sep-19 11:52:33

Up to 20 Tory MPs, most of them former ministers, have discussed plans to break away and fight the next general election as independent Conservatives opposed to a no-deal Brexit.

In a move that would send shockwaves through the party, senior Tories against a hard Brexit have privately vowed to walk out if Boris Johnson makes them sign a public pledge to support a no-deal manifesto in a snap election. The group has already been dubbed the “rebel alliance”, echoing the Star Wars films’ resistance movement.

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rebel-alliance-of-mps-summon-the-force-to-fight-a-hard-brexit-z8brlvsjg

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 11:58:53

growstuff?

Yes you would be hard pushed to find a stop brexit protest that was violent or even less than well mannered.

Grandad1943 Sun 01-Sep-19 12:17:13

If Boris Johnson decides to call a General Election in the next few days/weeks, I am wondering what the Tories will use as their main campaign agenda.

If it is to be on a no-deal Brexit then polls demonstrate that less than one-third of the population wish to leave the EU on that basis.

Should the Tories attack Labour on their spending plans then the Tory expenditures plans are now much higher than Labours.

Should Johnson attack labour on divisions in their party then the divisions in the Tory Party are now much greater than in Labour many would argue and have actually affected everyone in Britain while Labours divisions have not.

Should the Tories attack the Labour Party over extremism then Labour would only have to the point finger at the actions of Cummins to kill that accusation.

Should the Tories attack Jeremy Corbyn for his past actions, then there would be an awful amount of ammunition available to the Labour Party in regard to Boris Johnson's past.

So, I cannot see in what the Tory Party will base their campaign.

varian Sun 01-Sep-19 12:25:22

The Tory campaign motto would be "people v politicians" with them claiming to be on the side of the people against the treacherous elite politicians who have plotted to thwart the will of the people so we remain in the EU.

The people would never suspect all these billionares, landowners, newspaper proprietors and old Etonians were in fact the elite, or that they all have their own agendas.

The people, they hope, could be fooled yet again. But are folk really going to swallow that?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 12:27:08

Yes varian straight out of pound shop Bannon’s mouth in the form of Cummings.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 12:28:22

Will the voter be fooled?

Well you haven’t got to look far on GN to know the answer to that is Yes.

Grandad1943 Sun 01-Sep-19 12:42:49

varian Quote [The Tory campaign motto would be "people v politicians" with them claiming to be on the side of the people against the treacherous elite politicians who have plotted to thwart the will of the people so we remain in the EU.] End Quote.

varian, it could be that the Tory election agenda would be based on a "people vs politicians" platform. However, they would still have the problem of selling a no-deal Brexit to the electorate, which polls have demonstrated the public do not want.

On that platform the Tories may well play right into Labour Party hands on that.

growstuff Sun 01-Sep-19 12:50:36

I wish I were so confident Grandad, but I'm not. I'm afraid Corbyn will continue to be a liability as far as swing voters are concerned.

The Conservatives have already decided on the "people vs parliament" strategy, which is why we're seeing parliament, civil servants, judges, etc being smeared. The "bread and circuses" give-aways are all part of it, even though you don't have to scratch the surface very far to realise that much of that is a con.

growstuff Sun 01-Sep-19 12:51:21

… and even diplomats being smeared (remember Kim Darroch?)