Gransnet forums

News & politics

Stop the Coup

(171 Posts)
varian Sat 31-Aug-19 14:57:53

Protesters demand Boris Johnson 'stop the coup' as thousands march across UK against parliament shutdown

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-protests-today-latest-parliament-london-boris-johnson-parliament-a9086486.html

EllanVannin Sat 31-Aug-19 15:02:06

How ?

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 15:04:21

They can demand all they like.People are free in this country to demonstrate about anything at all.

trisher Sat 31-Aug-19 15:07:51

Oh we are lemon Over 2000 in Newcastle city centre today. All political parties represented. All ages. We are all concerned for democracy and we will not let a power hungry idiot backed by his rich buddies destroy our hard fought for political system.

paddyann Sat 31-Aug-19 15:12:19

Thousands in George Square in Glasgow ,in all honesty I dont think Boris would change his mind unless someone told him Brexit will make HIM poor ...that would refocus him in an instant.As it is he and his cohorts will be fine and its just the rest of the country that will suffer

Jane10 Sat 31-Aug-19 15:36:24

Sense of proportion failure ladies?

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 15:37:52

Really trisher? You may show your displeasure by marching along, but that alone won’t stop anything.
The only thing that may do is the courts.

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 15:40:24

That seems to have gone out the window Jane10 along with common sense.

Jabberwok Sat 31-Aug-19 15:47:53

Coup?, slight exaggeration!!!! Surely a Coup is the takeover of one government by another, usually by military means, such as was attempted in Turkey, not three/four days loss of parliamentary time bearing in mind the party conferences, which oddly haven't been cancelled!! Attlee did exactly the same in 1948, John (hypocrite) Major in 1997!

Joelsnan Sat 31-Aug-19 16:07:02

coup
/kuː/
noun
a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government.
"he was overthrown in an army coup"
synonyms:seizure of power, overthrow, takeover, ousting, deposition, regime change

I think it a disgrace that this term should be used about a legal act by a legally elected government. Those who have experienced a coup in the true sense of the word must be looking on aghast.

I would imagine a high proportion of those protesting have little real understanding of what they are protesting about.

varian Sat 31-Aug-19 16:10:35

I would imagine a high proportion of those supporting a no deal brexit have little real understanding of what that would mean.

humptydumpty Sat 31-Aug-19 16:12:54

I would imagine a high proportion of those supporting Boris Johnson have little real understanding of how he is pulling their strings.

Jabberwok Sat 31-Aug-19 16:19:43

Loss of democracy?!! I think the people of Hong Kong have much more to worry about on that score that we in Britain do!! A pending GE sounds fairly democratic to me!!
Whether or not people have an understanding of something is neither here nor there, it is still not a Coup, for the above reasons!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 31-Aug-19 16:21:59

Mr Barmey and I have just got back from the demonstration in Bristol, which was supported by all ages and dare I say classes. At least I feel I am doing something to show my concern for this country and displeasure with having a dictator as a leader. I agree with every thing you Trish and Varian posted.

petra Sat 31-Aug-19 16:23:23

I was in Greece in 67 when the colonels took over. I can assure you,Varian, it was a lot more scary than what Boris has done.

Jabberwok Sat 31-Aug-19 16:31:14

That was a proper Coup petra!

varian Sat 31-Aug-19 16:34:12

Well done Barmey and Mr Barmey

BlueBelle Sat 31-Aug-19 16:36:49

Fantastic turn out all over the country thank you to everyone. Wish I was there but I am in spirit

asiseeit Sat 31-Aug-19 16:42:21

I say good for Boris - it's about time someone got on with the job of doing what the majority voted for over 3 years ago. MPs have had long enough debating all the issues and too many are continuing to disregard the 'leave' result by refusing to do so without a deal. Far too many people think the decision focuses on potentially being economically worse off after leaving, but it does not... it's more about wresting back control of our own laws, taxes, borders,and finances from an organisation which is totally unaccountable and no doubt wants to keep us (our ongoing contributions to the EUs coffers) tied in. Wake up and smell the coffee... the EU simply doesn't want our departure to be successful they are fearful that, if it is, other net contributer countries could decide to up-sticks too.

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 16:43:12

I've been reading this as 'Stop the croup'. Thought it was medical.

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 16:43:43

That happens more and more these days.

Nonnie Sat 31-Aug-19 16:45:07

Humpty but Cummings is pulling Johnson's strings! Don't tell anyone but he is an unelected bureaucrat. Shhh

Kapitan Sat 31-Aug-19 16:45:41

Rent a mob on the streets again.

Nonnie Sat 31-Aug-19 16:46:01

Whether or not the protests work good for them for trying. "All it takes for evil to prosper is for good people to do nothing" I may have said that once or twice before grin

WadesNan Sat 31-Aug-19 16:47:12

If the EU is so wonderful, why are so many people risking their lives crossing the channel to get to the UK rather than staying there?