Gransnet forums

News & politics

Stop the Coup

(172 Posts)
varian Sat 31-Aug-19 14:57:53

Protesters demand Boris Johnson 'stop the coup' as thousands march across UK against parliament shutdown

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-protests-today-latest-parliament-london-boris-johnson-parliament-a9086486.html

EnglishRose Mon 02-Sep-19 19:17:09

Lemon, didn’t Cameron try to get concessions etc before the Referendum. Came back empty handed.

Since then Brussels has been open about an EU army and is happy to provide evidence of its existence. I’d rather my granddaughters weren’t called up. ? And in the main this is the EU’s response to what they perceive as a threat from Russia.

There is increasing evidence of the EU becoming, or as I believe, HA become, a dictatorship with no accountably to anyone but itself.

EnglishRose Mon 02-Sep-19 19:20:24

It’s not ‘a coup’ as any sensible person realises.

The Coup is the rebel remainers trying to thwart the outcome of the Referendum.

Parliament is closed for 5 short days for the Queen ‘s speech as it always does. Remainers and agitators are merely using the normal prorogation of parliament to create chaos and mayhem. Whatever has become of our once balanced country ?

lemongrove Mon 02-Sep-19 19:26:40

Hysteria rules, it seems these days.

petra Mon 02-Sep-19 19:29:17

English Rose
Your user name is one of my favourite songs. So appropriate ?

Labaik Mon 02-Sep-19 19:41:37

'Parliament is closed for 5 short days for the Queen ‘s speech as it always does. Remainers and agitators are merely using the normal prorogation of parliament to create chaos and mayhem. Whatever has become of our once balanced country ?' how many times do I have to point out that this is not a normal closure of parliament because of party conferences! It has far wider implications....

EnglishRose Mon 02-Sep-19 19:46:08

Petra....thank you ?. Mine too in fact.

Lemon.... oh yes... and when did it all start ?

Labaik...the wider implications are to proceed successfully to a Brexit conclusion, and to rid ourselves of those in power who would decry democracy.

crystaltipps Mon 02-Sep-19 19:46:13

No leaver has ever answered the question - if you believe the EU is in imminent collapse and the populations of every EU country would love to follow the U.K. shining example- why are you worried about an EU army?
Also who actually believes this move of Johnson is “normal procedure” and nothing to do with Brexit?

EnglishRose Mon 02-Sep-19 19:53:16

Crystaltipps

I was just signing off and must hurry, but I’d really love to answer your question in full. Hopefully tomorrow.

Briefly, the EU which is currently 2/3rds formed. Why would I want my country’s Services compelled to fight wars against anyone the EU demands us to?

Sovereignty. It’s all about retaining sovereignty and our right as an independent country to say no.

If you have grandchildren, which I assume you do being on here, how pleased would you be to see them conscripted for 2 years as Brussels has now suggested?

Tomorrow then.

EnglishRose Mon 02-Sep-19 19:54:58

Oh and nothing is normal in these abnormal times. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

MaizieD Mon 02-Sep-19 21:01:26

There are some very confused people on here as to what a 'coup' is.

In this context it is the taking over of a government by illegal means.

Which hasn't quite happened yet but, if as they seem to be implying, the Executive means to ignore legislation passed by Parliament it will definitely be illegal.

It's got nothing to do with this:

The Coup is the rebel remainers trying to thwart the outcome of the Referendum.

Rebel remainers shock For heaven's sake! If anyone is getting hysterical it's Leavers

Who on earth are we 'rebelling' against?

Someone today has mocked a poster for predicting civil war. If we have any more of this nonsense from Leavers it looks as though civil war will definitely be on the cards.

growstuff Mon 02-Sep-19 21:40:29

Do posters on here ever talk to each other? Just asking confused

Urmstongran Mon 02-Sep-19 21:50:02

No it won’t MaizieD

Mostly these forums give an opportunity for like minded people (who are politics/current affairs aficionados) chance to vent!

Once we’ve got a deal (or left with No Deal) the game is up. Some die hards will continue to agitate.

Most will give up, go home and put the kettle on.

Labaik Mon 02-Sep-19 21:52:41

So we're trying to regain a democracy that we never lost by sidestepping democracy...#mybrainhurts

MaizieD Mon 02-Sep-19 21:55:39

The eternal optimist, Ug grin

If we go out with no deal just you wait until there are empty shelves in the shops...

MaizieD Mon 02-Sep-19 21:56:56

Who's not talking to who, growstuff?

petra Mon 02-Sep-19 22:00:24

Growstuff
If you mean in the real world, I do. 2 posters who voted remain and 1 who voted leave.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 03-Sep-19 08:21:56

F

Pantglas1 Tue 03-Sep-19 08:45:39

Talking about ‘hysterical’ anyone see Konnie Huq on tv yesterday.....hilarious!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 03-Sep-19 08:51:53

Pantglas1, I saw her and Jasmine Ali-Brown, it was a "scream fest"

lemongrove Tue 03-Sep-19 09:50:59

Thank goodness I missed that Pantglas and GG13 it wouldn't have done my hypertension any good, I can’t stand either of them.?

Nonnie Tue 03-Sep-19 10:08:06

Lemon We have influenced the EU from the inside, nothing 'hopeful' about it. Many of the EU laws started from the UK suggestions, we are currently part of the EU and you mistake if you think it is them and us. I think that voting because you don't like something is very blinkered. It is better to look at both sides as debits and credits and see what the bottom line is. I reiterate that cutting off your nose to spite you face is a really bad idea.

I read today that our shopping bills with go up by £220, what will that be like for those who can't afford to feed their children in the school holidays? I am looking at it all from the point of view of those who will lose their livelihood, not for myself. I will be OK, I'm not poor and I have actually been making money because our shares in the US are worth more because of the drop in the £. Bigger picture every time for me.