Gransnet forums

News & politics

Stop the Coup

(172 Posts)
varian Sat 31-Aug-19 14:57:53

Protesters demand Boris Johnson 'stop the coup' as thousands march across UK against parliament shutdown

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-protests-today-latest-parliament-london-boris-johnson-parliament-a9086486.html

Joelsnan Sat 31-Aug-19 16:47:15

asiseeit
You can repeat this until the cows come home and beyond and you will never change the views of those here who know that they know better ?

Gonegirl Sat 31-Aug-19 16:47:58

Nothing evil going on. Too strong a word.

crystaltipps Sat 31-Aug-19 16:55:31

WadesNan another right wing myth. Germany, Sweden and France both have twice as many migrants as the U.K. Those who come here usually have friends or relatives already here, or have reasonable English or know they can work under the radar here. Not because we are a somehow superior country.

Davidhs Sat 31-Aug-19 16:57:46

Wadesnan. Migrants want to come to England because they learned English in their home country, often the children of “middle class” parents in developing countries.

WadesNan Sat 31-Aug-19 16:58:08

One last post before I'm off to enjoy my evening

The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubt, while stupid people are full of confidence

Charles Bukowski

GillT57 Sat 31-Aug-19 17:03:09

That's right Wadesnan the Brexiteers are full of confidence that everything will be well if only we believed, if only we listened to our 'betters' and if only we disregarded the fact that we have a liar as PM, but you pop off and enjoy your evening.

trisher Sat 31-Aug-19 17:08:18

One of the speakers at our meeting read an excerpt from a UKIP leaflet saying how they wantedto leave the EU so our Parliament would be in charge, it met with huge applause and laughter. Brexiteers don't seem to realise they have lost exactly what they were asking for.

Day6 Sat 31-Aug-19 17:08:57

Exactly, Gonegirl

I think most of those looking on see a hard left mob of (in many cases) ugly and violent people - sore losers, frothing because Boris means business. Yay for Boris!

It is ironic that the 'winnng side' Brexiteers have put up with three years of being insulted by Remainers, having Parliament try to overthrow a democratic decision at every turn, and now, when Boris is ramping up the pressure on the EU, (at long last!) the moaners try to describe him as a dictator! It's laughable.

I see Corbyn is rabble rousing to stay IN the EU (what a complete hypocrite) and has his hard left buddies whipped up into a frenzy for Tuesday's city blocking rent-a-mob exercise.

In town this morning I hard nothing but scorn for these demonstrators who want it their way, despite millions of others, obviously more mild mannered, playing the waiting game, for democracy to be done.

Perhaps the mob ought to query the same people in parliament who are sitting on beaches in far-flung places, sipping their pina coladas. They didn't want to come back before time, or sit in the HOC during conference time. This had all been agreed some time ago, so the demonstrators are kicking off because three or four days will be lost.

Our MPs cannot stir themselves (except the hard left ones who love a bit of anarchy and like nothing more than trying to rock the establishment) so I think most people see this Remainer/left wing reaction as futile...

They are entitled to protest but they forget millions of others voted differently from them, more wanted to leave the EU than stay in it, and that is called democracy. They conveniently forget that though. Quite ironic, isn't it? hmm

lemongrove Sat 31-Aug-19 17:20:36

asiseeit ??
But most of us have given up saying the facts of the matter.

eazybee Sat 31-Aug-19 17:23:27

I see a group of fifth columnists protesting to demonstrate their allegiance to countries outside their own.

Corbyn, McDonnell and Momentum are using this in an attempt to promote civil unrest for their own ends.

Day6 Sat 31-Aug-19 17:29:01

Corbyn, McDonnell and Momentum are using this in an attempt to promote civil unrest for their own end

Indeed they are eazybee,

I think what is going on is very damaging to any left wing cause. Momentum is once again rearing it's ugly hard-left head and they are being roundly scorned,

Corbyn and his Marxist/Anarchist movement is at large, and it ain't pretty. The more moderate Labour MPs are remaining very quiet. (Still on their holidays?) I doubt they want to be associated with the crude and violent sections of the mob on the streets.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 31-Aug-19 18:09:48

Day6, I am neither a hard left nor ugly, just a person with a brain who is concerned for the next generation as you obviously aren't. You talk about our laws etc but believe me many of the laws brought in are for the good.

I was living in a country for 4 months every year run by a dictator and I see many of Boris's action similar. I was asked by a local person which country I was from, when I told him England he replied how lucky we were. Why, because we had human rights brought in by the EU. Until it is taken away you don't appreciate what you had.

varian Sat 31-Aug-19 18:15:28

Kapitan posts "Rent a mob on the streets again."

True to form the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation reported that those on the streets were "largely middle class"

I can't decide whether that's their new put-down description of anyone who's anti-no deal brexit, but it's not what we usually envisage by "rentamob"

varian Sat 31-Aug-19 18:18:41

On the other hand Day6 posts "I think most of those looking on see a hard left mob of (in many cases) ugly and violent people"

Doesn't really chime with the BBC's description "largely middle class"

Luckygirl Sat 31-Aug-19 18:21:39

It slightly concerns me that the protests about the prorogation of parliament at an inappropriate time are getting tangled up with the desire to remain in Europe - they are not the same thing.

You can be in favour of leaving the EU (or at the least renegotiating terms), but also object strongly to this subversion of democracy.

crystaltipps Sat 31-Aug-19 18:23:20

Is there violence? There’s violence in Hong Kong but are they rentamob as well? I’ve seen a few Brexit supporters en masse - now there’s ugly if you want to comment on people’s appearance.

Nonnie Sat 31-Aug-19 18:27:18

Gonegirl its a well known saying! Well I thought it was.

I haven't seen any news yet, heard it on R4 and I have to say that I haven't seen or hear any Remainers behaving as suggested. I use Twitter and have found 2 leavers prepared to have reasonable discussion but the rest have simply been downright rude and insulting. I can, of course only say what I have seen and heard.

Daisymae Sat 31-Aug-19 18:27:49

It seems to me that we are giving up our hard won freedom too easily. Anyone who thinks that Johnson is doing this for the good of the country is much mistaken.

Joelsnan Sat 31-Aug-19 18:49:09

What are remainers truly frightened of?

Probably 99% of countries are not in the EU, apart from those in some desert states and despotic African countries they are not starving, they have access to the medication they need and they trade with countries they choose to. The majority are far poorer than the UK, less well educated and have poorer infrastructure.

I think there is a new phenomenon. The ‘failure to fledge’ the EU syndrome.

Joelsnan Sat 31-Aug-19 18:52:52

Daisymae
It seems to me that we are giving up our hard won freedom too easily. Anyone who thinks that Johnson is doing this for the good of the country is much mistaken

What is he doing it for then?
There will inevitably be a general election shortly so he apparently is not doing it for votes.

crystaltipps Sat 31-Aug-19 18:55:03

There’s every reason to fear a no deal - no country in the world apart from Afghanistan trades on WTO solely. Our nearest neighbours supply us with much of our everyday needs. UK has slumped to lowest growth in G7.The £ has slumped as a direct result of all this Brexit nonsense. Many of us have families who work in the EU or who are EU citizens in the U.K., their future is uncertain.

varian Sat 31-Aug-19 18:55:11

There are 195 countries in the world today. This total comprises 193 countries that are member states of the United Nations and 2 countries that are non-member observer states: the Holy See and the State of Palestine.

There are 28 countries in the EU, so about 85% of countries are not in the EU Joelsnan (not 99%, but as a leaver you don't let facts bother you)

The EU is the word's largest and most successful trading bloc.

crystaltipps Sat 31-Aug-19 18:55:54

He’s doing it for his own ego.

Joelsnan Sat 31-Aug-19 19:18:02

Varian
I said probably 99% not definitively.

Oh dear varian, this is really getting to you. A darkened room might help with the hysteria,

Joelsnan Sat 31-Aug-19 19:24:15

varian
BTW...The United Nations, recognises 195 countries

But I suppose this could be regarded as lies and propaganda depending on which google result you view.