Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Real Prime Minister

(83 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 07:49:40

There are rumours that the Prime Minister Dominic Cummings is going to call a general Election next Thursday in order to stuff the House of Commons.

Throughout the U.K. people are on the streets protesting at our loss of sovereignty. Just how far is Cummings prepared to go in his mad game plan?

quizqueen Sun 01-Sep-19 13:28:21

Any Remainers who protest at Parliament's loss of sovereignty hasn't cared that for the last 40 years+ we have had to bow down to the rules and regulation set out by the EU! If you still want to stay in the EU, stop pretending you care about this country's sovereignty and its ability to make its own decisions. We had a very weak Prime Minister and many didn't like it, now have a very strong one and people don't like it. All PMs have their advisors, remember Alistair Campbell.

growstuff Sun 01-Sep-19 13:34:33

In what ways isn't parliament sovereign, quizqueen?

If you're so bothered by parliamentary sovereignty, why aren't you protesting now? You can't use the EU as an excuse.

What kind of parliamentary system would you like to see?

"Parliament vs people" rhetoric seems to be working.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 13:34:50

The prime minister isn’t strong???

growstuff Sun 01-Sep-19 13:36:04

Yes, just seen that. I almost fell off my chair. "Strong" is not a word I associate with Johnson.

POGS Sun 01-Sep-19 13:36:06

trisher Sun 01-Sep-19 13:25:32

"Ah POGS well done! a successful deflection from the very undemocratic workings of the Tory party to democratic Labour."
--

Really?

I was answering a previous post by Whitewave:-

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 11:09:38

"Anyone remember all the pearl clutching and ranting that went on about Labour de-selection?"

Further to your silly point I did not try to deflect from the Tory Party I said:-

"The Conservatives are behaving in a similar vein when it comes to ' deselection' so I will not be a hypocrite".

You rely must try to follow the time line of threads trisher or you look over ambitious to attack the man not the ball.

crystaltipps Sun 01-Sep-19 13:37:54

Are Unelected bureaucrats ok for leavers as long as they’re not foreign (or remainers obv) ? Rasputin springs to mind when I think of Cummings.

POGS Sun 01-Sep-19 13:56:17

trisher

"Can you explain the "scale" and "reasoning" remark?
As far as I can see the reasoning in the Tory party is that Cummings says it's so and that's that."
----
So now you want me to expand on my post you called a ' deflection'! Couldn't make it up as the saying goes.

Scale. Remember the 2016 Hostile List? Momentum has been ratcheting up the 'deselection' of MP's for years. Momentum are/have successfully GAINED ELECTION of Momentum candidates/members into the heart and soul of the running of the Labour Party machine.

Reasoning. I presume the Conservatives are using ' deselection' because those MP's are willing to put Corbyn/Momentum into Government if they vote ' NO Confidence' in their democratically elected Leader.

Momentum wanted to deselect MP's to gain power, this has already been achieved so now the Labour Party must no longer be a Broad Church party but Far Left that is only achieved by getting rid of the remnants of what they see as the Blairites, middle of the road MP's.

POGS Sun 01-Sep-19 13:58:55

crystaltipps Sun 01-Sep-19 13:37:54

"Are Unelected bureaucrats ok for leavers as long as they’re not foreign (or remainers obv) ? Rasputin springs to mind when I think of Cummings."
---

Why is it a Brexit related question for Leavers.?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 15:39:46

According to The Sun, Cummings is considering taking the security passes away from any rebel Tories, thus rendering whole swathes of the country disenfranchised.

varian Sun 01-Sep-19 15:43:42

The Sun is not always right but, if it is, surely that must be illegal WW?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 15:49:22

God knows, nothing surprises me at the moment.

Who ever thought that we would have a PM who has never answered to Parliament, shut down parliament so that he doesn’t have to answer during the biggest crises in peacetime history?

Or that we would hear a member if the cabinet suggesting that the government will ignore the rule of law?

Or that we would have a government with only a majority of 1 because of the support of another political party, intent on pushing through a no deal, for which they have absolutely no mandate.

Anything seems possible in these times

varian Sun 01-Sep-19 15:50:50

PM ‘must launch urgent inquiry into Dominic Cummings’s reign of terror’

Ex-civil service chiefs join critics of Boris Johnson’s aide as protests against ‘coup’ spread across UK

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/31/boris-johnson-must-launch-inquiry-dominic-cummings-reign-of-terror

Day6 Sun 01-Sep-19 16:16:16

Throughout the U.K. people are on the streets protesting

....and being whipped into a frenzy by that well known Marxist hypocrite and Eurosceptic, turned remainer, Jeremy Corbyn.

Heaven help us all if he ever leads the country.

growstuff Sun 01-Sep-19 16:23:19

Do you have a link to that, Whitewave?

growstuff Sun 01-Sep-19 16:24:33

Errmm, sorry to tell you this Day6, but Corbyn hasn't been whipping me into a frenzy. Are you OK? You sound a bit rattled.

crystaltipps Sun 01-Sep-19 16:40:00

Corbyn has not whipped me into a frenzy. I won’t be voting for him but I will go and protest like hundreds of thousands of other non labour supporting protesters.

crystaltipps Sun 01-Sep-19 16:42:43

Parliament has been sovereign actually a teeny % of laws are shared with the EU. With which we were party to passing. I expect you believe the EU organises all our domestic legislation. Talk about myths.

Firecracker123 Sun 01-Sep-19 16:50:16

Day6 it's Dominic Cummings who's whipping the Remainers (on this forum anyway) into a frenzy lol.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 01-Sep-19 16:52:37

Day 6, you must be aware people are protesting from all parties and none. Your posts are beginning to sound a tad irrational.

growstuff Sun 01-Sep-19 17:15:15

Nobody's whipping me into any kind of frenzy.

Grandad1943 Sun 01-Sep-19 17:19:56

growstuff Quote [Nobody's whipping me into any kind of frenzy.] End Quote.

growstuff, what's a frenzy as I feel I have never been in one. ??

Barmeyoldbat Sun 01-Sep-19 17:28:46

I say bring on the GE it will be the downfall of the Tories. As for having Labour in, well it certainly can't be any worse than the dictatorship we have.

varian Sun 01-Sep-19 18:08:57

Boris Johnson chief 'could face ethics probe' over aide's 'Mafia-style' sacking

Tory and Labour MPs are calling for a formal inquiry into Dominic Cummings over his dismissal of 27-year-old aide Sonia Khan

www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-chief-could-face-19119741

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Sep-19 09:33:12

Cummings admitting that Facebook was used with Cambridge Analyticas help to win the referendum for leave in the last 4 days.

Carole Cadwalladr

Yep. Here’s Dom Cummings admitting Vote Leave’s strategy rested on 1.5 billion ads in last 4 days. This was money that we now know was illegal. First item on parliament’s business must be to demand he gives evidence to parliament. It’s untenable he advises PM while in contempt.

#DominicCummings says Vote Leave targeted 7 million people on Facebook with 1 and half billion ads in the last four days of the Referendum campaign (holding back most of their budget to do so)

Pantglas1 Tue 03-Sep-19 09:39:54

OMG! I wouldn’t buy a loaf of bread based on what politicians had put on Facebook, buses and government flyers....are people really that gullible?