Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Real Prime Minister

(82 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 07:49:40

There are rumours that the Prime Minister Dominic Cummings is going to call a general Election next Thursday in order to stuff the House of Commons.

Throughout the U.K. people are on the streets protesting at our loss of sovereignty. Just how far is Cummings prepared to go in his mad game plan?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 07:58:14

A dictatorship.

Sam Gyimah conservative MP
First they said the leader of the party had to be a no dealer, then they said every minister had to sign the no deal pledge to serve. Now every MP who votes against no deal chaos could be purged. We’ve come a long way in a very short space of time...this is not real Conservatism

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 08:01:57

Dominic Cummings has notified Conservative MPs that if they vote for the extension legislation next week, they will be "automatically deselected" before the next election via Conservative Central Office "even if their local organisations stand by them".

Incredible.

Davidhs Sun 01-Sep-19 08:10:38

Anything is possible and it would avoid an embarrassing desertion by Tory MPs , in any campaign attack is the best defense, keep the enemy guessing.
The outcome of a GE is highly unpredictable especially if Brexit party field candidates on any scale, it would even be possible to have Farage as PM.

LullyDully Sun 01-Sep-19 08:17:39

Personally I can't think how the country is going to get out of this dangerous stalemate. Nothing seems to be working as the splits are toxic. David Cameron has a lot to answer for.

Even an election would be useless as we have no opposition with teeth.

Iam64 Sun 01-Sep-19 08:29:57

I’m with LullyDully - finding it difficult not to go all Corporal Jones, “we’re all doomed”

Cameron was an ineffective PM, left a toxic legacy and has avoided doing or saying anything constructive since he swanned Off.

We need a strong, effective opposition like never before but we don’t have that. I’m trying a chorus of “always look on the bright side of life “ our Manchester anthem ?

Urmstongran Sun 01-Sep-19 08:43:49

It’ll all settle down after 31 October.
?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 08:46:20

ug you sound like roses????

Persistentdonor Sun 01-Sep-19 08:49:59

Urmstongran I truly hope you are correct and "It’ll all settle down after 31 October" but I suspect the truth will be far, far worse, and I feel lucky to be on my way out, though it be in hunger, pain and poverty, because my children and grandchildren may well suffer in ways the Leavers haven't begun to think of.
I fear "Hell in a handcart" doesn't even start to describe it!!

Grandad1943 Sun 01-Sep-19 08:58:18

Well, in 2017 with the Labour Party more than twenty points behind in the opinion polls it was being stated by many political analysts that the country did not have a strong, viable or effective opposition in Parliament.

With that "guaranteed" knowledge Theresa May called a General Election designed to wipe out the Labour Party in the House of Commons. Well, the rest is now electoral history, and May lost the Tory Party their overall majority in Parliament.

Much of that happening was put down to Jeremy Corbyn's performance on the campaign trail and he proved he still has that within him with his "they have no answers" speech in Parliament Square during the Trump visit a few weeks back.

General Election, many in the Labour movement will be shouting, " bring it on" I believe.

Jane10 Sun 01-Sep-19 08:59:03

Just accept the deal and get on with it. Prolonging the agony by all this protest is getting us nowhere.

Urmstongran Sun 01-Sep-19 09:02:48

Who is roses?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Sep-19 09:18:40

Oh! Sorry brain fog! I meant Lemons

MaizieD Sun 01-Sep-19 09:25:59

Same person, Ww2 grin

Ug hasn't been around for long enough to know...

MaizieD Sun 01-Sep-19 09:32:38

Interesting that several people on twitter this morning are saying that there were Leavers at the protests they were on. Leavers also protesting at Cummings' undemocratic plan.

I think that could make a GE more interesting and possibly more unpredictable. Instead of being about Brexit it might well be about not voting for the party that is bent on destroying our Parliamentary democracy.

Jane10 Sun 01-Sep-19 10:00:24

Sigh. Brexit was the democratically chosen outcome of the referendum. I was a remain voter but accept this outcome. Its those protesters who are being undemocratic.

KatyK Sun 01-Sep-19 10:09:12

I don't take much of an interest in all this (I know I should) but DH keeps saying that Cummings is the real PM.

Jane10 Sun 01-Sep-19 10:14:05

That doesn't necessarily make it true though KatyK!

MaizieD Sun 01-Sep-19 10:16:34

Double sigh, Jane.

If the referendum result had not been rendered unsafe by undemocratic practices, cheating, and illegality, I expect more people would accept it.

Unfortunately the whole thing has also been a cock up from start to finish which makes it even more difficult to accept.

I suspect that Cummings might soon discover that bending a whole nation to his will is not quite as easy as he thinks it is.

MaizieD Sun 01-Sep-19 10:19:37

That doesn't necessarily make it true though KatyK!

It's either that or Johnson has had a whole persona transplant.

Looking at his past history does anyone really associate this utterly ruthless streak with Johnson?

Pantglas1 Sun 01-Sep-19 10:19:45

You’re right Jane10 - my DH said the same about Alistair Campbell and I pooh-poohed!

trisher Sun 01-Sep-19 10:24:44

jane10 some Leavers recognise that democracy is under threat and that No Deal will be a disaster for the country.
As for Cummings after all the hot air posted on GN about Momentum and deselection I would have expected a huge outcry about his statement. But there isn't.
It seems the right can have a single person calling the shots whereas the left can't even have a grassroots movement doing it! Mind you historically the right have a history of allowing dictatorships.
As for an effective opposition. Of course there is one. Some people are just too biased to see it.

Jabberwok Sun 01-Sep-19 10:40:24

It was Scottish Private Fraser not Corporal Jones who was the doomful soothsayer !

growstuff Sun 01-Sep-19 10:46:11

From what I know (and admittedly it's fairly limited), selection of candidates is the responsibility of local Conservative parties. There is some evidence of entryism in the local parties from right-wingers. Nevertheless, the local parties know what's going on and the Conservatives are in danger of losing traditional voters.

Before the last election, Conservative Central Office gave the local party in my constituency a list of shortlisted candidates and told them to choose. One of them was the obvious preferred choice. There was a great deal of resentment in the local party and they chose a candidate who wasn't the preferred one, almost as a matter of principle.

The feeling seems to be that the central party might be able to impose its own candidates but it's going to lose grassroots support, which could be critical in marginal seats. The Labour Party and LDs already have better "armies" on the ground than the Conservatives do, so grassroots support is important.

growstuff Sun 01-Sep-19 10:47:19

Trisher I think the Conservative Party has a better tradition of hiding its dirty washing.