Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will the web being woven, hold?

(319 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Sep-19 08:18:05

Cummings game plan seems to be on course.

The tiny majority will be rendered a minority at a stroke by Cummings threat to take the whip away from any Tory rebels.

Johnson has then scapegoats to blame for his failure to deliver a brexit deal, and an excuse to go for a GE.

Labour will then fall in with the game plan by holding a VONC and a GE looks a distinct possibility sometime in Oct.
Johnson will fight it as the people v the elite who failed to deliver the democratic vote. (Bannon writ large)

The U.K. will then crash out on Nov 1st. No attempt is being made by Cummings to get a deal and in any case his contact finishes on Oct 31st.

Labaik Mon 09-Sep-19 13:20:24

You still haven't answered my question, though. And, what is your solution to the Irish problem? If you think we should all be optimistic you should be prepared to explain why we should be so. It's not the Spanish inquisition but we need more than sweeping statements as the country is in crisis.

MaizieD Mon 09-Sep-19 13:21:08

You do make me laugh, GG54. grin

GracesGranMK3 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:03:41

You have the gall to insist on YOUR username G54 while misquoting the vote in the referendum! You seem to want to make up rules while others think they have been voted in Speaker of GN.

I think we just need Farage and his army of British Nationalists, National Front and the Football lads Alliance beating us up as I understand they were doing at a pro-EU rally at the weekend and we will certainly know where the Leavers stand.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:06:48

GracesGranMK3.........actually most leave voters stand against this!!!

GracesGranMK3 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:35:54

... and you think beating people up, in order to stop something happening which we would be able to veto if we were still members and would not be part anyway of if we found a withdrawal agreement we could agree with, is okay then?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:44:37

No veto on these, EU wants majority decision.

As for violence, there has been violence from both sides.

I abhor violent behaviour.

growstuff Mon 09-Sep-19 14:45:07

Don't leavers care about the environment and clamping down on tax dodgers? Does that mean that we can expect a post-Brexit government to abandon measures to slow down climate change and support tax evasion?

growstuff Mon 09-Sep-19 14:46:30

Really? Please could you give some examples of violence from the Remain side, apart from throwing milkshakes.

Labaik Mon 09-Sep-19 14:50:26

Yes; I'd like examples of that. It also annoys me that the news said that fights broke out amongst pro and anti Brexit campaigners when, from what I've been told it was the pro Brexit group that caused the violence. They were even stamping on poppies at the Cenotaph and attacking the police.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-Sep-19 14:51:47

Oh I care about climate change and tax evasion, and lots of things. I just do not want to be governed by EU.

There are videos on the internet and they have been shown on MSM of violence towards those who voted leave.

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 15:00:04

We are not governed by the EU, we are the EU, as are France Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, Italy, Greece, etc etc etc. We all appoint one commissioner each and we agree on the rules and regulations. Of course we do not get our way all the time. Why should we?

Most EU legislation is legislation that would have gone through our Parliement anyway, which is why the British Parliament has already passed an Act subsuming the majority of the EU legislation into British law.

If we wish to continue exporting to the EU we will have to make sure all our exports accord with the standards that the EU set. All that will happen is that in the future we will no longer have a say in what those standards are.

MaizieD Mon 09-Sep-19 15:11:21

There are videos on the internet and they have been shown on MSM of violence towards those who voted leave.

Care to give us some links to some, GG13?

It's odd, really. I happen to 'follow' a few Leavers on twitter and I am absolutely certain that had there been any evidence at all of Remain violence towards Leavers they would, on the evidence of what they do tweet, have been tweeting it like crazy and I would have seen it.

On the other hand, I could link you to a nice video of Leavers attempting to throw crash barriers at the police on the weekend...

MaizieD Mon 09-Sep-19 15:50:24

Royal Assent has been given to the 'No Deal Bill' It's now an Act of Parliament.

And Bercow has announced that he will be going 31st October at the latest.

M0nica Mon 09-Sep-19 15:53:40

Jumping before he is pushed. Who are his potential successors?

Labaik Mon 09-Sep-19 16:09:12

They'd better have a good knowledge of parliamentary procedure whoever they are.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Sep-19 18:03:23

www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/no-10-must-pay-sajid-javids-fired-aide-tens-of-thousands-in-compensation-a4232216.html

varian Mon 09-Sep-19 19:02:39

Just watch BBC Parliament Channel now to see a debate that could entirely change the future of our country.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Sep-19 19:06:00

It isn’t true about civil servants. When I was at work that is exactly what happened to someone. His home computer, phone etc was all looked at.