Gransnet forums

News & politics

If there is an election.....

(262 Posts)
AllTheLs Tue 03-Sep-19 11:08:56

Who do people vote for?

Remainers will be split between the LibDems and Labour, so neither party will win.

Leavers will be split between the Tories and the Brexit Party, so ditto.

It may be a well and truly Hung Parliament.

Very interesting times indeed.

Jue1 Tue 03-Sep-19 11:12:39

I think a second referendum would put the whole situation to bed. An election will just continue the pain.

tanith Tue 03-Sep-19 11:13:33

I think 'hanging is the right word for the whole lot of them ???

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Sep-19 11:18:19

It has to be a referendum. An election won’t as juel says answer.

wicklowwinnie Tue 03-Sep-19 11:22:34

What happens if a second referendum produces the same result as before?

AdeleJay Tue 03-Sep-19 11:26:33

Yes, in a very safe Tory seat where the current incumbent has voted remain, then was loyal to Theresa May & now to Boris Johnson, although he voted no to ‘No deal’.

I have no idea how to vote either confused

Grannybags Tue 03-Sep-19 11:27:45

If we had another referendum the choice would have to be do you want to remain, leave with TMs deal or leave with no deal

AdeleJay Tue 03-Sep-19 11:27:48

Good point Wicklow

AdeleJay Tue 03-Sep-19 11:31:25

With deselection of a number of candidates from Tory & Labour parties, there may be a number of independents? I can’t imagine what our Parliament will be like tbh

Jane10 Tue 03-Sep-19 11:38:32

It might be better? Hope so

GillT57 Tue 03-Sep-19 11:41:26

Wicklowwinnie if the referendum produces the same result as before, but is based on facts, debated, proved, and not on lies and propaganda then I, as a remainer, would reluctantly accept it as a democratic vote. My main argument, like many, is that the electorate were told lies, fantasies, propaganda, fearful projections, by both sides, and properly informed opinion was not always used as the basis for our votes. An election is not going to solve this problem. Welcome by the way, if you are new!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Sep-19 11:47:30

What gill says

sarahellenwhitney Tue 03-Sep-19 11:49:02

Juel
Another referendum ?So what if? The 'if 'being and as before which you will recall was to LEAVE.

Miche Tue 03-Sep-19 11:49:43

If there was the same result there will be another referendum until the remain result wins and we can become part of the United States of Europe instead of Great Britain

Mossfarr Tue 03-Sep-19 11:53:02

GillT57
We are still being told lies and much worse fearful projections now - and we still want to leave!
Why can't you accept that those who voted to leave are not all idiots who didn't know what we were doing?

There will not be another referendum.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 03-Sep-19 12:00:02

wicklowwinnie Exactly.The big .big ,big mistake being and not the publics choice was electing a remainer ie TM to get us out. We may!! as well thrown in the towel there and then. Just a thought where is Mrs May these days?

jura2 Tue 03-Sep-19 12:02:49

Mossfarr- did you know there would be No Deal? How?

Did you know about shortages of medicines, medical and care staff? How?

Did you know about ... all the things we know now and didn't then? Did you know Boris would become PM voted in by a minuscule % of the population? Did you know he woud gamble the country for his own advancement?

Blimey, how much for that Crystal Ball on E-Bay, hey?

Labaik Tue 03-Sep-19 12:05:09

It was interesting how a businessman on the Ch4 debate yesterday said he had voted Conservative all of his voting life but would be voting LibDem next time.

Labaik Tue 03-Sep-19 12:07:10

'If there was the same result there will be another referendum until the remain result wins and we can become part of the United States of Europe instead of Great Britain'. As it stands we are set to become Little England, vassal state of America...[I know which one I prefer...]

GillT57 Tue 03-Sep-19 12:09:08

Mossfarr, read my post again. I did not say those who voted to leave are not all idiots who didn't know what we were doing. I said that the campaign was run dishonestly by both sides, but if you didn't know what you were doing last time, you certainly should now, or do you not listen to experts?

Anniebach Tue 03-Sep-19 12:12:06

Little England ?

Lessismore Tue 03-Sep-19 12:13:17

Just a thought where is Mrs May these days?

on holiday with Cameron.

Miche Tue 03-Sep-19 12:17:31

Little England?
We are the United Kingdom or Great Britain
It’s about time we believed in the great nation we are instead of belittling this country.

Anniebach Tue 03-Sep-19 12:23:53

Seems Wales, Scotland and N.I . Are not part of the U.K

GillT57 Tue 03-Sep-19 12:25:44

Mrs May, like other MPs, is back in the HoC today as the summer recess ends.