Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do we understand what a “No Deal” actually means ?

(61 Posts)
Realgranddad Fri 06-Sep-19 10:01:03

We are close to the most important decisions of our lives. Ones that will affect the quality of lives of generations to come, our grandchildren and family quality of life and possibly their economic future.
17 millions of us voted for a Brexit Deal, a small major of 2%. At the referendum we were told an easy transition would be possible. We were all badly mislead by deception throughout
the campaign by both sides. None of us voted for what has been described as an extreme dangerous “No deal” that would put lives & jobs at risk.
I never voted for a No deal, in fact I did not consider it or even know what it meant.

For me today the important question is : Do we understand what a no deal actually means? The possible shortages of essential medications manufactured
P in the EU and lives being put at risks, jobs, economy, food prices increases have all been mentioned. What is the truth, is it worth taking the risks, what if any are the benefits? Your considered views please, having lived through the horrors of war shortages I don’t desire to put my 12 grandchildren at risk.

Sparklefizz Fri 06-Sep-19 17:23:33

Food rationing carried on in Britain until the 1950s. I can remember Mum's ration book when I was a small child and I am in my early 70s.

4 July 1954
Fourteen years of food rationing in Britain ended at midnight on 4 July 1954, when restrictions on the sale and purchase of meat and bacon were lifted. This happened nine years after the end of the war.
Rationing in Britain during World War 2

trisher Fri 06-Sep-19 17:24:00

Joelsnan At that stage we would be in the same position of any other country who wants to agree a trading agreement with the EU, except we would be in a more advanced position to finalisation as we would be in compliance with just about all of the policy and legal requirements for the trade deal with having just left.
How did you reach this conclusion? We would in fact have all our trade deals with other countries including Cananda etc made null and void because they are EU trade deals. We would then have to start from scratch. The shortest time any trade deal has taken to process is about 2 years. Whilst we were negotiating there would of course be other members of the EU who would seek to supply some of the things we would be unable to. It would be a disaster for Britain.

growstuff Fri 06-Sep-19 17:26:00

Indeed Sparklefizz. Apparently, I was issued with a ration book, but I was born after rationing ended, so it was never used.

jura2 Fri 06-Sep-19 17:26:56

www.facebook.com/thedailymash/videos/382142449145644/

love this Leicester lass - brilliant

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 17:38:34

Fennel remembers war shortages ( and Realgranddad )
And also pre war.
That makes a person 85 or over to actually remember them well.
Rationing after the war was much reduced and better, and
I was about four when it ended.

Grannmarie Fri 06-Sep-19 17:54:34

I was surprised to find out that I could buy my prescription medication over the counter in Spain, very cheaply, when I was on holiday in May. I had been pricing it online in case of Brexit shortages and it was very expensive there.
So if anyone is going abroad soon, pop into the local pharmacy and stock up on your essential medication.

Joelsnan Fri 06-Sep-19 18:10:26

Growstuff
An interim free trade agreement can be formulated however both parties wish it to be. If so wished there could be no trading or logistics impact, but of course the EU wouldn’t agree for reasons mentioned before.
Many organisations relocating are EUcentric organisations and yes it may be an issue with them relocating, however with regard to science education and other cooperative initiatives. I have noted that in most instances (including Erasmus), non EU countries contribute to and take advantage of these initiatives.
Much of UK wealth is derived from non visible service provision and this is traded worldwide and to some extent this is why UK manufacturing was wound down (without any acknowledgement of the social impact if its loss) or often outsourced to cheap Eastern Europe with little or no outcry of ‘foul’ during this time.
Brits have always travelled, worked and settled throughout the world and Especially in Europe, and the same has been the case for our global family who have (for centuries) travelled, worked and settled in the UK.

MaizieD Fri 06-Sep-19 18:17:48

I was about four when it ended.

That's odd, lemon. I distinctly remember you telling us you were born in the 1970s. 1974 wasn't it?

I was 4 when rationing ended. Born 1950.

growstuff Fri 06-Sep-19 18:19:20

Are you a lawyer Joelsnan?

What about citizens' rights and the Irish border? Any answers?

I really don't understand your point about the countries which have relocated. They're not all EUcentric. As for science and pharma, I'm afraid you are totally and utterly wrong. UK researchers started losing funding as soon as the referendum was announced. Contracts tend to be issued on three year programmes and people weren't prepared to lend UK research companies billions, if the UK was leaving the UK.

I don't understand your point about Erasmus either. It's stopping for UK citizens in 2020 but continuing for everybody else.

So how long do you think it will take to renegotiate trade deals to recoup the potential loss of £83bn a year?

By the way, had you noticed that the UK doesn't have an empire any more?

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 18:22:42

MaizieD you can’t possibly remember me saying that ( unless it was a spoof thread) !
DD1 was born in the mid seventies.?

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 18:24:13

Must ask my GN friends when we meet if I only look in my 40’s.?

Joelsnan Fri 06-Sep-19 18:24:34

Trisher
The shortest time any trade deal has taken to process is about 2 years

This would be the length of time when commencing the discussions from a standstill position. With regard to the EU the UK should theoretically be fully compliant to trading requirements having being part of the union, so a long drawn out process should not be an issue. If the EU wanted to draw it out it would surely in effect be contradicting its own policy and processes which UK have recently applied to their trade.
As mentioned, no actual trade talks can take place until departure, however it is apparent that ‘behind the scenes’ agreements are waiting in the wings, going public with these agreements may be in contravention of trade laws or it could be UK is keeping its powder dry. Of course for the pessimists the negotiators could have been playing solitaire in their laptops and we could all starve or die from the Black death without medication.

Joelsnan Fri 06-Sep-19 18:30:44

Growstuff
You obviously see what you want to as do I.
Do look at countries who are participants in Erasmus.
Maybe EU funding is ending for some programs, but dont forget that EU funding is actually the taxes that you and I pay that are remitted to Brussels, an admin portion creamed off and then returned wrapped up as EU funding. This tax revenue will be available as a gross amount to continue to fund these initiatives.

Joelsnan Fri 06-Sep-19 18:32:45

growstuff
By the way, had you noticed that the UK doesn't have an empire any more?

I thought this thread was conducting reasonable debate...but there you go again.

trisher Fri 06-Sep-19 18:37:00

This tax revenue will be available as a gross amount to continue to fund these initiatives.
Please could you explain this to the government? The NE is to lose a substantial amount of money and there has been no effort to make sure the people here are supported.

Jabberwok Fri 06-Sep-19 18:44:19

I was born in1943 and can remember sweet rationing and having a ration book. My parents used to let me have their sweet ration as they didn't want them, so I used to buy three books worth! I don't remember any other rationing, but my stepfather was in the corn trade so bartering with customer farmers was alive and well!!??

Fennel Fri 06-Sep-19 19:05:36

What has happened to Realgrandad ?
Come on, respond to some of the comments!

Fennel Fri 06-Sep-19 19:08:43

ps Good weekend to all - I'm off until Sunday.

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 19:19:13

wine
Cheers all.
Jabberwok wonder you have any teeth left.?

Elegran Fri 06-Sep-19 20:33:39

I've just returned to GN after several hours in the "real world" to discover that Lemongrove has aged me by five or ten years. I am not that old. I said I remembered shopping with my mother - it would have been before I started school. I was born in 1939, just pre-war. No need to be mid-eighties or more to remember life under strict rationing and shortages. It was no fun trying to keep a family fed and fit under the circumstances.

growstuff Fri 06-Sep-19 20:39:12

Rationing was stricter immediately after WW2 anyway.

growstuff Fri 06-Sep-19 20:42:30

Joelsnan Well, maybe you could stop coming up with silly stuff about science, Erasmus, the companies which have already located and the idea that the UK can go back to some halcyon days when we traded with the world. We can still trade with non-EU countries, but the difference is that most of them won't tolerate us exploiting them.

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 20:56:48

Oh, you were a pre schooler then Elegran ?
I was still a pre schooler when rationing ended, although I remember seeing the ration book in a drawer for years afterwards.

jura2 Fri 06-Sep-19 21:44:17

so it was all porkie pies then Lemon - I rmember that clearly too.

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 21:51:47

jura and MaizieD .....I have no idea what you are on about.
I not only meet Gners regularly ( who can see how old I am) !
But also say things that give it away, such as on the Madeira thread, that we celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary next year.
I am perplexed about this 1974 thing, but can only think it may have been some spoof thread in the past.
Be assured, I would very much love being born in the 70’s, as I would have a long life to look forward to.