Gransnet forums

News & politics

Geoffrey Boycott knighted even after conviction(s) for domestic abuse

(27 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Tue 10-Sep-19 11:23:47

I don’t know what Theresa May was thinking when she tried to get the Domestic Abuse Bill through right at the end of her prime ministership and then, at the same time was agreeing a knighthood for Boycott - a man convicted of domestic abuse.
It makes no sense to me. And such a terrible message to anyone suffering from or recovering from abuse today.

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 11:36:36

I absolutely agree - and not only that, he has said he "couldn't give a toss" about criticism over Theresa May awarding him a knighthood in her resignation honours list (BBC). Revolting man and shameful that she chose to recognise him in this way.

NotSpaghetti Tue 10-Sep-19 11:45:47

If you ever saw the photos of the woman it would be hard to believe she fell...

paddyann Tue 10-Sep-19 12:41:33

One glance at Teresa's list will make you understand why "honours" are a joke.Time they were given the Order of the BOOT

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 12:45:50

Absolutely agree paddyann

EllanVannin Tue 10-Sep-19 12:58:51

I honestly don't think that the man is very well, mentally.

grumppa Tue 10-Sep-19 13:45:27

Boring batsman, boring commentator, not worth a knighthood. BUT the offence, which he still denies, was 25 years ago: whatever happened to rehabilitation of offenders?

Smileless2012 Tue 10-Sep-19 13:54:01

Isn't remorse and an admission of guilt a good indication of whether someone has been rehabilitated?

Ilovecheese Tue 10-Sep-19 13:55:13

Well he hasn't played cricket for a good many years either has he? So if his domestic violence is to be forgotten, so should his cricket be forgotten.

NotSpaghetti Tue 10-Sep-19 14:38:26

Having worked with offenders I'd say yes, grumppa - rehabilitation of offenders should certainly be the norm but even this morning on the radio he was still not taking any responsibility for his actions.

The fact that he was extremely rude and patronising to the interviewer was shocking too - and he wasn't challenged on it. Altogether a rather nasty sounding person.

I know he was a great cricketer in his day but you aren't ready for rehabilitation if you don't accept past mistakes I feel.

Nandalot Tue 10-Sep-19 15:53:32

Very disappointing. I listened to ‘Women’s Hour ‘ today and it was pointed out the timing was terrible too as the Domestic Abuse Bill has been put on the back burner because of Brexit and prorogation. Boycott’s response to the criticism about the knighthood ‘I don’t give a toss’, I think sums up the man and perhaps suggests he hasn’t really changes.

GinnyHendricks Tue 10-Sep-19 16:01:45

His response today speaks absolute volumes about the man, vile.

janipat Tue 10-Sep-19 16:45:16

Geoffrey Boycott is a vile, nasty, egotistical bore. He was probably the most boring cricketer ever, who put his own performance above county or country needs. He obviously can't count either because his conviction was 21 years ago, not 25 as he states. Honours are rarely given to the deserving, but his absolutely takes the biscuit. Best moment ever? When Botham deliberately ran him out in NZ smile

M0nica Tue 10-Sep-19 17:28:33

Why should a life time of achievement be completely negated by one, undoubtable heinous action, over 20 years ago?

I do not defend him, He always comes across as boorish and boring, but as a cricketer he was superb and should be rewarded for that.

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 17:54:22

Because he’s been convicted of battering a woman - and that is what he should be remembered for. If you choose to do something as reprehensible you shouldn’t be rewarded with an honour and you certainly shouldn’t be spouting off about ‘not giving a toss’

grumppa Tue 10-Sep-19 18:02:26

I was thinking of parallels with the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, which doesn't require remorse for the slate to be wiped clean.

quizqueen Tue 10-Sep-19 18:08:44

Theresa made a lot of bad decisions. She wasn't a great Prime Minister.

MaizieD Tue 10-Sep-19 18:27:05

Astonishingly he is being reported as saying that he voted Leave because he was convicted of the domestic abuse in a French Court. Another Leaver who knew just what they were voting for, then?

While I agree that a 25 year old conviction might be considered to be 'spent' he's done nothing particularly exceptional to deserve a knighthood. There are plenty of other talented sportspeople who may be equally deserving...

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 18:39:49

Is it astonishing? I wonder.... hmm

maddyone Tue 10-Sep-19 19:04:06

I’ve just seen this on BBC news. I don’t agree with Knighthoods for anyone, let alone a convicted domestic abuser, however spent the conviction is.

jura2 Tue 10-Sep-19 19:32:52

he said that he voted to Leave because a French tribunal sentenced him for severely beating his then partner sad

Loislovesstewie Tue 10-Sep-19 19:36:06

I always thought he was an ill mannered bore, he has just proved it. No contrition; no remorse; no knighthood.

BradfordLass72 Tue 10-Sep-19 21:01:51

There would be no Honours given at all if the person had to account for their domestic lives!!

Do you honestly not know about some of the despicable things Knights, Dames and other have done?

They are given the honour for services to their communities - in this case cricket.

I've never liked Geoffrey Boycott, he's a boor and a bully. It's a pity he represents Yorkshire - but he was a damned good cricketer in his day.

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 21:06:52

It’s high time we limited these Honours to people who had served their communities AND kept their fists to themselves.

paddyann Tue 10-Sep-19 21:24:43

Ditch the "honours" its just a way of keeping the class system alive and kicking....making some ,like Boycott, feel superior because he's got a title ,when in fact some of us wouldn't give him fresh air if he was drowning .As the mother of a woman who was battered by an ex ,NO time cancels out this crime .Time doesn't take away the fear or the distrust my daughter and millions like her feel after being subjected to bullies ,like Boycott.Honours....what a joke !