Gransnet forums

News & politics

The yellowhammer documents

(349 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 19:47:09

t.co/z0rgHFhcWc?amp=1

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 09:21:09

Of course he'd say it! He knows what he's talking about.

Even before the referendum, he produced a couple of videos explaining what it would entail and pointing out that there literally thousands of issues which need to be dealt with.

Somebody accused him of protecting his job, As he pointed out, that's ridiculous. He's an expert on EU law and likely to be in high demand over the next few years.

mcem Sat 14-Sep-19 09:33:38

Well lemon you would say that wouldn't you?
Forgive the sensible ones among us for feeling that his expert opinions not only express how we feel but are far more realistic than the those of the Pollyannas!

Labaik Sat 14-Sep-19 10:12:13

Tim Wetherspoon wants to leave the EU and he's dropped the price of his beer to prove it. 'nuff said....

Dinahmo Sat 14-Sep-19 15:47:50

Lemongrove

"there are plenty of knowledgeable and erudite people on both sides of this matter...."

Where are those on the Leave side? Haven't seen much knowledge or erudition.

paddyann Sat 14-Sep-19 17:39:26

Wetherspoons have droppef prices because they are struggling....horrible places so the local one is usually empty

GrannyGravy13 Sat 14-Sep-19 17:46:12

paddyann their profits are down because they gave all the staff a pay increase and reduced their prices.

Not sure Weatherspoons are struggling.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Sep-19 17:49:20

Went into “Wetherspoons” once.

It was absolutely ghastly.

Dirty and untidy in the extreme.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 14-Sep-19 17:52:20

I have never been in one.
*Wetherspoons flipping autocorrect

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Sep-19 17:57:31

gg13 consider yourself warned?

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 18:05:35

GrannyGravy That's not what Tim Martin is claiming. He's blaming the "anti-Brexit" establishment for boycotting his pubs.

metro.co.uk/2019/03/15/wetherspoons-profits-drop-19-boss-blaming-remainers-8911577/

SirChenjin Sat 14-Sep-19 18:13:58

‘Spoons are horrible places - they’re losing business because people want more for their money

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 18:17:33

I've only been in one and I agree that it wasn't very pleasant.

Funny though! Martin blames Brexit (well, he would, wouldn't he?), but GrannyGravy blames wage increases and lower prices.

So what's the truth?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 14-Sep-19 18:21:39

growstuff probably a combination of the two, the uncertainty of leaving or staying on the 31/10/19, is on lots of people's minds.

The "spoons" in our seaside town is full of students from the Uni, apparently it's cheap as chips?

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 18:50:41

So why did you deny Wetherspoons is struggling, when its profits have dropped quite dramatically?

Are you suggesting that Martin is blaming Brexit for something for which Brexit/EU is not responsible? Is Martin lying? Is he doing the same as Johnson with his iced fish regulations, ie blaming the EU for something which originates closer to home?

SirChenjin Sat 14-Sep-19 18:56:32

I’m fairly sure your average Spoons frequenter isn’t basing their decision to veto the place on a critical analysis of the impact of Brexit.

varian Sat 14-Sep-19 18:58:50

We went to a Wetherspoons once when we were with friends in a strange town and pretty desperate to find an eaterie.

Never again.

Admittedly the prices were very low, but so was the general standard of the place, from the sticky patterened carpet to the greasy food and the overwhelming stink of cheap booze.

Yuk!

janipat Sat 14-Sep-19 20:38:16

Went in the Wetherspoons at Whitstable many years ago ( The Peter Cushing) The decor was lovely and the ladies' toilet was like a boudoir. We were just having a coffee, so no idea what the food was like.
Interesting fact, each Wetherspoons has uniquely designed carpeting. Well it certainly was true a few years ago

trisher Sun 15-Sep-19 10:36:46

Wetherspoons differ depending on where they are. Our local is home to many of my generation drinking cheap coffee, families take over at lunch time, and drinkers in the evening. Some of them are just homes for all day drinkers. One thing they do do is rescue old buildings, save them and decorate them with records of local history and heritage. Much as I hate his Brexit beliefs I will allow that he has done some good. The one in Blyth is an old cinema.

paddyann Sun 15-Sep-19 11:41:03

not the one local to ustrisher it was certainly an old shop in the high street ,but whatever work they di to it didn't get rid of the awful damp smell and the loos are vile ,We have several local pubs that have been there for decades..and longer abd folk did try Wetherspoons when it opened but went back to their local quite quickly.The only reason I was in it was because we were invited to the opening .Sadly the food was so bad I would never go back .The worst kind of ping cuisine .

Pantglas1 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:41:19

Our local one in Llandudno is also the old Palladium cinema trisher and I do enjoy the eggs benedict for brunch while shopping in town. Rarely been at night as it seems frequented by the younger crowd and I prefer smaller bars.

MissAdventure Sun 15-Sep-19 11:49:23

I liked the Wetherspoons I went in.
Glasgow, a couple of years ago. smile
Nice and clean, reasonably priced, reasonable food.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:51:17

Pantglas1, I might have to retract my statement about never been in a "spoons" as I have been in a "pub with food" in Llandudno which was a converted cinema.

We were there for a Conference, and about 8 couples popped in after being on the little train up to the high point (sorry I cannot remember the name, but there was still snow up the top it was the end of April) Cannot remember what the food was like, other than it was lots of "snacky bits" but I think the fizz was ok!!

Pantglas1 Sun 15-Sep-19 11:54:42

The high point would have been The Great Orme GrannyGravy13 and there’s a tram all the way to the top where the views are stunning.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 15-Sep-19 12:00:43

Oh yes that's it the views were stunning, it was approximately 6 years ago and we couldn't visit the top of Snowdon as there was still so much snow. It had been a really snowy winter.

We also had 2 nights in Port Merion which we loved.

trisher Sun 15-Sep-19 12:03:12

paddyann It's The Wallaw. Well worth just looking in to see 1930s cinema building www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/northumberland/the-wallaw-blyth