Gransnet forums

News & politics

How dare brexiteers jeopardise my daughter's life!!

(206 Posts)
mcem Mon 23-Sep-19 18:25:25

My daughter has serious chronic health problems.
After an ileostomy, she depends on drugs to keep her digestive system working.
She has serious kidney problems with resulting UTI's and so needs specific antibiotics. Her GP today, while prescribing for her latest UTI has given her several weeks worth of antibiotics as a precaution. She'll inevitably need them over the next few months so now has a reserve supply.
Meantime, her father (my ex husband but a good friend) is equally concerned about his diabetes med's.
One brexiteer declared in a vox pop interview last week that he is prepared to do without his insulin if it means brexit goes ahead!
Well tell that to my daughter's two children (9 and 10)!!
How can anyone in their right mind accept/condone the fact that it's becoming ever clearer that normal folks like my family may suffer badly because of their short-sighted and uncaring attitudes - and that's before we get into the economics, the dishonesty and the self-serving politics of this chaos!

varian Mon 23-Sep-19 18:38:14

It is utterly shameful mcem that your daughter and her father are literally threatened with a higher risk of death by the mindless brexit nonsense.

Which normal caring person would ever have voted for this?

growstuff Mon 23-Sep-19 18:42:12

I saw that vox pop interview and couldn't believe it. The man quite literally said he was prepared to do without his insulin and die for Brexit. I honestly don't get why he thinks Brexit is worth that. Bonkers! I'm anti-Brexit but it's not worth dying for!

I've tried not to worry about my meds. I have to take a small cocktail of them, but I would probably be OK for a few days without them. Any longer than that and I'd have problems. I rang the pharmacist this morning because it's been two weeks since I ordered my repeat prescription and apparently two of the medicines aren't available yet. In all the years I've been taking them, I've never had any problems. Coincidence or not? I don't know, but I've just ordered the next month's supply.

Matt Hancock has finally admitted that some delay is expected. He's warned that there is likely to be a delay of a few days, but I wonder what the truth is. I'm afraid I don't trust any of them to tell the truth about the real state of affairs.

Fingers crossed for your daughter and ex-husband. Wish I could do more!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Sep-19 18:45:10

Have you seen the lists of medicines likely to be in short supply?

grapefruitpip Mon 23-Sep-19 18:50:22

Very sad for you mcem, at last a real live example from somebody who isn't ranting or part of a cabal or rabid.

Would any body from the Leave camp care to comment?

humptydumpty Mon 23-Sep-19 18:53:31

I was musing to myself recently about the down sides (of which there seem to be many possible) of Brexit, and thinking, in return there must be some positive advantages? - but I couldn't think of a single one. So why are we doing this? the word 'lemmings' comes to mind...

paddyann Mon 23-Sep-19 18:53:51

I went to pick up my meds today and was told that two of them are unavailable and they have no idea when they will be!!! Not life threatening but it will make life a bit uncomfortable without them .According to the pharmacist ,who is a friend it IS Brexit thats the problem and it will continue to be a problem UK wide .She has advised me to order every month instead of 3 monthly for the forseeable future so that I can maybe stockpile some for further shortages .Like the OP my daughter relies on a cocktail of 22 pills every day to just get by ,I'm worried sick that she might have to go without ,life is hard enough for her as it is .

crystaltipps Mon 23-Sep-19 18:55:55

I keep asking for someone to let us know what the benefits of Brexit would be for the person in the street. No one has told me. ( apart from no foreigners obvs)

varian Mon 23-Sep-19 18:58:47

The man who claimed he would forego his lifesaving medcations for brexit is an extreme example of the brainwashed leave voters.

I heard another one today saying he had voted leave because he didn't like the European Court of Human Rights.

When it was explained to him that was absolutely nothing to do with the EU, it didn't seem to make any difference. (it had European in its name, just like the European Song Contest, so must be bad and a reason for voting leave.) He was so entrenched in his leave identity, that factual information was irrelevant.

It seems that if people are thoroughly brainwashed they are immune to evidence and facts, They live in a post-truth brexit bubble.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Sep-19 19:17:22

No brexiter will comment on this thread. They have no answer.

Joelsnan Mon 23-Sep-19 19:22:32

www.england.nhs.uk/eu-exit/medicines/medicines-faq/

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Sep-19 19:28:40

List of medicines which will be in short supply

pbs.twimg.com/media/EFDmmjIW4AAsFlS?format=jpg&name=large

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Sep-19 19:30:18

Everuone has their own problems, many or few, big or small, fleeting or longstanding but I am not responsible for those problems, worries or inconveniences.
I am not a whipping boy for your concerns. My rights do not supersede your rights as yours do not supersede mine.
I voted leave.
You must bite the bullet, as I would have done, uncomplainingly, had the pendulum swung the other way.

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Sep-19 19:31:45

Everuone Everyone

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Sep-19 19:36:23

Don’t be ridiculous gabriella my vote to remain would not potentially endanger your life.

You voted knowing that people may die.

Of course I blame leavers.

mcem Mon 23-Sep-19 19:40:54

Uncom f-- plainingly!
My 42 year-old daughter and her gp are seriously concerned about availability of necessary drugs and you dare to say we should bite the bullet!
Had the pendulum swung the other way neither your life not the lives of your family would be threatened.
It's this smug and selfish attitude that's brought us to this.
Shame on you!

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Sep-19 19:43:12

...and no, I am not here to supply answers to your political questions.
If it's answers you want, you've had 3 years to talk to/email politicians, look on Google, read and listen to the news.
I don't have to justify my choice to anyone, nor do you.
Then again, I'm not interested in anyone else's choices, it's an individual decision and I'm happy to stand by mine.
How about me nagging at you to change...or is it all one way traffic...eh?

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Sep-19 19:44:44

I don't listen to ridiculous arguments.
I'm not responsible for other people's health.

GrandmaJan Mon 23-Sep-19 19:45:45

Whitewavemark2 the list is medicines that may be in short supply and not will be. Nobody knows exactly which ones could be and even pharmacists aren’t exactly sure. Some medication I take has been changed because of supply issues but that was 3 ago and there are alternatives. MIMS the book and website I use to aid subscribing (I’m a Nurse Practitioner) gives dates when each drug is expected to be available indicates most drugs are in short supply because of manufacturing problems (some in the UK) and dates when they will be available. Some in the next few months. There is a lot of scaremongering and it’s easy to blame Brexit but I can remember shortages similar to these about 10 years ago. Remember there are lots of alternatives to prescribe. Neither me nor my colleagues are panicking. When we do then it’s time to worry.

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Sep-19 19:46:24

Maybe you should turn your ire on those who couldn't be bothered to vote.

Welshwife Mon 23-Sep-19 19:47:56

By the pendulum I assume you mean the vote Gabriella If things had swung the other way there would be non of these problems as we would have had the status quo. Nobody would have needed to bite any bullets!
I do hope those having problems with medication supplies are soon able to get all they need.

growstuff Mon 23-Sep-19 19:50:19

Yeah, Gabriella you wouldn't have been able to complain if you were dead.

grapefruitpip Mon 23-Sep-19 19:50:47

I suppose it's possible to feel some concern about the predicament of mcem and be somebody who wants/wanted to leave the EU? Possibly?

growstuff Mon 23-Sep-19 19:51:14

Your post is thoroughly vile Gabriella.

crystaltipps Mon 23-Sep-19 19:56:08

The ire should be directed to the liars such as Farage, Johnson etc with their big red bus and racist posters, persuading people that Brexit was going to be marvellous for us all. We know better now, with the sinking £, the inexorable job losses etc, but many still believe the lies. Still there are plenty who will keep challenging the lies.