Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Brexit Party - now's your time!

(104 Posts)
Day6 Tue 24-Sep-19 14:54:59

Wonder how the next few hours and days will unfold, politically, given the court ruling regarding prorogation of parliament?

Online friends are all completely fed up with parliament's determination to stall Brexit. That's what this is about, after all.

Boris is likely to resign, as once MPs are back in the HOC, there will be a no confidence vote against him.

What of all the party conferences? Will they go ahead? I imagine Labour and Lib Dem MPs, are hot-footing it back to the HOC as I type. The keys to number 10 are likely to be passed on.

One can only hope there is a general election. Corbyn in the few days of the LP conference has made himself unelectable. The Conservative vote is likely to go to the Brexit party. Remainers are likely to vote Lib Dem.

Leavers are fired up. If there ever was a one issue party likely to succeed, the Brexit Party is it.

Richard Tice, interviewed shortly after the court verdict was announced knows that politically the time favours his party.

Day6 Tue 24-Sep-19 17:49:22

Corbyn and co are following their lead then?

Labour's plans would cripple the tax payer/house-owner forced to fund them, and ensure taxed-out-of-existence wealthy entrepreneurs leave the UK and take their wealth/job creation with them - and we'd all be poorer.

crystaltipps Tue 24-Sep-19 17:51:11

nankate the “country” didn’t vote leave, a small majority in England and Wales, Scotland and NI a majority were for remain. It’s not the “ remainers” who have tried to thwart Brexit, remember it was the extreme brexiters in the Tory party who brought down Theresa May, as she wasn’t Brexitty enough, even though we were promised a Norway style deal in the referendum campaign, not no deal.

SirChenjin Tue 24-Sep-19 17:56:02

And if the polls had shown the majority to be in favour of Leave after Remain had won the referendum the Brexiteers would have been up in arms and calling for another vote Nan

‘Come on Boris’ - what rot.

trisher Tue 24-Sep-19 18:05:07

Anyone who looks at the mess this country is in and thinks that a far right party would sort it out is living in cloud cuckoo land. We have more homeless, more people using foodbanks, a failing education system and a health service in crisis. There's a PM who only thinks the law is right if he agrees with it and a government without a majority. The only solution to the huge disparities in our society is a Labour government. But I suppose if you are bothered that you might have to pay a little more in tax and care more about that than starving homeless families you won't support Labour.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 24-Sep-19 19:16:53

I actually thought JC spoke well at the conference over his plans for Brexit, a deal and then a referendum on remain or the deal. its the only way to sort it. The problem was 3 years ago before we had the referendum no one really thought or made plans for what would happen. It was bodged.

Day6 Tue 24-Sep-19 20:00:43

a deal and then a referendum on remain or the deal

But what if *the deal*is lousy? Remember the EU said that was it, take it or leave it. Why would they go back to the drawing board? They wouldn't.

So, we take a lousy deal which Brussels may have put together for the benefit of the EU (which Parliament rejected three times) and if we refuse it, we remain in the EU?

Do you really think that is in any way fair or sensible, given we asked the government to get us out of the EU?

Shall we continue to pay Brussels billions for the privilege? (Where else in the world does a country pay billions in fees every year to trade with a limited number of other countries?)

Why should the choices be remain on the dreadful EU deal or remain in the EU as we were?

Because remainers say so?

Or because it's the wish of an unelected, wealthy businesswoman with the ability to finance court cases because she wants the UK to remain in the EU?

Either way, that's a rotten proposal.

mcem Tue 24-Sep-19 20:15:42

Your use of the pronoun we seems to be far more inclusive than can be justified!
Not in my name.
You do not speak for the country.
The SNP moves to support social justice here have bankrupted no-one and there was consultation which saw agreement to higher taxation for higher earners to support those who do need it.

grapefruitpip Tue 24-Sep-19 20:28:34

Day 6, how do you get so very excited about this stuff/

quizqueen Tue 24-Sep-19 20:40:31

I've been a Leaver since 1973, when we joined the Common Market, and I will stay one till I die. I want to live in an independent country, not one ruled by the decisions of unelected, or unelectable, fat cat bureaucrats.

Remainers pretend they want our Parliament to have sovereign authority but they haven't cared a damn about that for the last 40+ years while Brussels has made all our decisions for us!

Gaunt47 Tue 24-Sep-19 21:46:29

Quizqueen, I agree. And I have never understood why people would want to be ruled by four layers of government: local, county, national and the EU each with its expensive bureaucracy and offices, expense accounts, pensions, reams of red tape, etc etc. To be fair not so much at the local level perhaps.

jura2 Tue 24-Sep-19 21:51:03

Oh no they haven't sad

Full partners in a cooperative EU- with a seat at top table...

or vassals of Trump's USA and WTO (now there are some fat cat unelected bureautcrats for sure, and we won't have a say- nothing).

growstuff Tue 24-Sep-19 21:55:19

Brussels has not made all the UK's decisions. What utter rot!

Grandad1943 Tue 24-Sep-19 21:57:48

jura2, you surly have realised by now that many see the solution to gaining their non-existant Brexit utopia as now being to swap Boris (The Buffoon) Johnson for Facist Farage. ?

SirChenjin Tue 24-Sep-19 22:14:41

What unilateral decisions do you think the EU has made without input from the UK?

crystaltipps Wed 25-Sep-19 02:36:41

This idea that Brussels “made all our decisions for us” is just one of the lies that leavers have been brainwashed to believe. 96% of laws are U.K. ones - Brussels doesn’t decide our education, health and welfare, domestic policies our sovereign parliament has been so great at managing those policies haven't they? We’ve got such great crop of politicians the future looks anything but bright.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 02:49:14

I sometimes think leavers use their hysterical, ranting myths to whip themselves up into such a frenzy that they do believe the monster they've created. It's like a cult.

Alima Wed 25-Sep-19 04:40:20

Priceless.

Iam64 Wed 25-Sep-19 05:36:22

Priceless indeed Alina!

I’m away using an iPhone which may have been taken over by a cult. My last sentence was a question to day6, can you tell us what the Brexit party’s policies are please?
I won’t repeat trisher’s impassioned comments about public services, homelessness etc, just say we need a government to repair the mess the Tories have made. I can’t imagine the Brexit party gives a —— about any of those things

GagaJo Wed 25-Sep-19 05:54:21

I sometimes think leavers use their hysterical, ranting myths to whip themselves up into such a frenzy that they do believe the monster they've created. It's like a cult.

Bookmark

God, yes, growstuff, what a good way to put it! Fake news and all. Total brainwashing.

GagaJo Wed 25-Sep-19 05:54:58

Despite Farage changing with the wind and being SO flaky, they still believe their fakir.

grapefruitpip Wed 25-Sep-19 08:39:17

fakir? faker....fucker?

lemongrove Wed 25-Sep-19 08:51:10

No... fakir ( it’s a real word grapefruitpip.)

lemongrove Wed 25-Sep-19 08:54:08

Voting for the Brexit Party would just split the Conservative vote, just as voting Lib Dem ( for remainers) would split the LP vote.

MaizieD Wed 25-Sep-19 09:13:33

Fakirs are famed for lying on beds of nails to demonstrate their indifference to physical discomfort. Not at all an appropriate description for Farage. He couldn't even manage 20 minutes walk in the rain ?

Grandad1943 Wed 25-Sep-19 09:15:39

lemongrove, voting Labour is the only way now to ensure that the British people gain a chance to review their Brexit vote by way of a second referendum.

That could be a crucial card in the forthcoming General Election. From a rocky start it has turned out to be a good week for the Labour movement.

Off to work now, so, see you later. ?