Gransnet forums

News & politics

What happens next?

(36 Posts)
DidoLaMents Fri 27-Sep-19 09:50:35

The latest likely threat to the nation we are told, is violent, civil unrest if we are asked again if we want to leave the EU. Leavers and Remainers both can claim to have the moral high ground; leavers vote was 2% more; Remainers that the result was based on lies. But in truth 50% voted leave; 50% voted remain. Because of that do you think civil unrest is likely in the event of all scenarios : Leave, Revoke, Referendum? If you think it is, is it worth it to get the result you want? If you think it’s not, why not? Who will suffer most? And how do we pick up the pieces? Either way, large sections of the people will be angry, hurt and disappointed. Please try not to give the ‘take back control’ answers; because it’s simple rhetoric, I for one don't know what it means; it is even more meaningless if we face violence on the streets and fearful going into our cities. I genuinely want to know what faces us as a divided people.

Grandad1943 Wed 02-Oct-19 08:14:33

absthame the opposition parties can only win if they have the support of a large majority of the Labour Party who are by far the second-largest party in the House of Commons.

Many of them are very loyal to Corbyn and in that they will not support any other MP attempting to form a temporary government even if Corbyn himself were to offer to stand down.

People concentrate on opponents of Jeremy Corbyn in the Parliamentary Labour Party, but they forget that there are many very loyal to him. Some of them are leave persons in their personal view but have followed the party policy of General Election first and then a second referendum.

Should those MPs see Corbyn being "pushed to one side" they may well become "leave" in their attitude in the House of Commons?

Grandad1943 Wed 02-Oct-19 08:40:06

Just to add to my above post, many Labour MPs represent leave consequences in the North of England. They have been under heavy pressure to take a Leave stance in the House of Commons but have maintained allegiance to the Party policy on Brexit.

However, should they see Corbyn pushed to one side as being leader of any temporary government, those MPs would without a doubt fall into line with their Constituency parties and join the leave camp.

Opposition MPs outside the Labour Party in the House of Commons need to look at the reality of the situation in their thinking.

Grandad1943 Wed 02-Oct-19 09:01:40

Apologies should "Constituencies" in my above post not "consequences".

Trying rush things to get of to work. ?

MaizieD Wed 02-Oct-19 09:12:54

I disagree with davidhs. I think all the member states will agree to an extension because, however fed up they may be in private, they don't want to force us into no deal.

Particularly as that is precisely what Cummings wants the EU to do, reject extension request and force no deal.

MaizieD Wed 02-Oct-19 09:18:51

so it is highly likely that the EU will force no deal. For them no deal is better than a bad deal

And, rereading David's post I am stunned that he should think that the rational EU leaders would adopt May's highly irresponsible and inept thinking about the desirability of no deal.

Davidhs Wed 02-Oct-19 09:58:39

EU leaders are logical and rational but there comes a point after 3 yrs negotiating every full stop and comma AND not trusting the U.K. negotiators, they could say, leave we are going to protect the single market. The backstop deal was proposed a year ago, they have not moved one inch, it’s not a tactic, they have reached the limit of concessions, that’s not going to change if there is an extension

Now it’s up to MPs to accept the reality of the situation and stop clutching at straws, either accept what’s on offer or no deal and suffer the consequences. If there is a deal in the next 2 weeks a transition extension would be granted, if the deal was legal and watertight

MaizieD Wed 02-Oct-19 10:05:52

The granting of an extension has nothing to do with the withdrawal Agreement, David. The WA provides for a transition period of 2 years during which we would have left the EU but retain alignment while the next steps are worked out. An extension keeps us in the EU.

EU leaders (I refuse to refer the 'the EU' as if it were some sort of uncontrollable and independent entity; it isn't, it's a union of states, all of which have a say in how it is run) must be well aware of the state of chaos which engulfs the UK at the moment and have no desire to make it any worse.

varian Sat 05-Oct-19 16:02:55

Discussions between the UK and European Union will not take place this weekend as Brussels dealt a heavy blow to Boris Johnson's new Brexit proposals.

Talks between the two sides were thought likely to continue on Saturday after the Prime Minister set out his plan to replace the controversial Irish backstop .

But the European Commission said EU member states had agreed the proposals "do not provide a basis for concluding an agreement".

A spokesman said discussions between the two sides would not take place this weekend and instead the UK would be given "another opportunity to present its proposals in detail" on Monday.

www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-news-latest-eu-cancels-weekend-talks-because-boris-johnsons-new-plans-do-not-provide-a-basis-a4254886.html

varian Sat 05-Oct-19 17:56:52

Home truths from abroad

Greta Sat 05-Oct-19 19:17:23

I heard Julia Gillard on Politics Live and she said that Australia was open to trade deals with Britain, but that it cannot replace the levels of current trade between the UK and the EU.

However, according to Liz Truss the UK could agree a trade deal with Australia within months. Easy. But we have heard this sort of statement before, haven't we?

Then we have Priti Patel whose mission it is to end free movement of people once and for all. She firmly believes in the Australian point based system. Apparently this will ensure that only the very best and brightest will gain entry into Britain. She forgot to mention the hostile environment.