Gransnet forums

News & politics

Big march dilemma

(39 Posts)
SummerJ Tue 15-Oct-19 13:01:54

We believe very strongly in the need for another vote and debating whether to join the big march on Saturday. We have never been on one and this would incur considerable personal expense! I am not prepared to get into the actual Brexit debate on this forum but, although I believe you should follow your convictions, I do question the value of a march? Does it really make a difference? Does it wind people up? Do the media, or indeed MPs, pay any attention when there are huge numbers of good hearted people registering their discontent? Will it attract those out to cause trouble on either side of the debate? Too many questions and unable to make a decision - my head hurts!

Labaik Tue 15-Oct-19 20:27:50

Well, give us a second vote and find out; simples....

jura2 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:29:18

simples indeed - they don't want to, because they know how it would go. Frit.

SirChenjin Tue 15-Oct-19 20:30:25

If anything the Leave vote will have increased now that we can all see how much better off we’ll be, free from the shackles of the EU with Boris in charge - there’s really nothing to be afraid of notanan

varian Tue 15-Oct-19 20:31:22

Many many ex-leave voters have seen the light.

www.remainernow.com/

MaizieD Tue 15-Oct-19 20:34:26

If the march was people who DID vote leave but NOW want remain, that might have more clout.

There are plenty of them going on the march according to my twitter feed.

The polls are all saying that more people want to remain than leave. So some must have changed their minds...

I don't know any leave or remainers who would vote differently if the vote was repeated tomorrow.

That doesn't mean they don't exist. I know some.

SirChenjin Tue 15-Oct-19 20:36:34

No no - that can’t be right, it’s obvious that leaving is going to be absolutely brilliant (once we’ve got past these bumps in the road in mumble mumble years time)

MaizieD Tue 15-Oct-19 20:39:58

The government isnt there to pander to whoever shouts loudest.

Well, that's not entirely true. I have seen it claimed that we can't turn back now because there would be rioting from the Leavers...

They haven't even shouted loudly yet, just threatened.

Problem with Remain protests is that they are utterly peaceful. Not the loudest shouters at all. Mind you, I wouldn't have it any other way.

rosecarmel Tue 15-Oct-19 20:54:44

Marches/large gatherings make a difference- Changes may start off small, take shape in unexpected ways, but continue to grow-

From the first day of Arab Spring to today many shifts and changes have taken place- People are realizing what they need and it isnt what corporations and governments are offering-

Eloethan Wed 16-Oct-19 00:17:20

I've been on several marches. I'm not sure that it makes a difference but, if nothing else, it gives like-minded people some reassurance that they are not alone in feeling as they do.

Personally, I am very pleased that I marched against the invasion of Iraq. It didn't appear to make much difference but I'm glad that I showed my visible opposition to an action that has caused death and misery to several million people.

varian Sat 19-Oct-19 19:10:06

Jeremy Corbyn’s three most senior colleagues broke with their leader to declare Labour a Remain party, as they were cheered at the giant Westminster rally for a Final Say referendum on Brexit.

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, Diane Abbott, the shadow home secretary, and Emily Thornberry, the shadow foreign secretary, all made clear Labour’s determination to keep the UK in the European Union.

The speeches prompted chants of ‘Where’s Jeremy Corbyn?’ – to the tune of The White Stripes’ Seven Nation Army, the very chant that symbolised his shock resurgence at the 2017 general election.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-march-labour-second-referendum-jeremy-corbyn-emily-thornberry-a9163181.html

Dinahmo Sat 19-Oct-19 21:25:42

I was too ill to go on the Iraq march but my DH was playing in one of the samba bands. Although the government took little notice at the time those who opposed the war have been vindicated.

Apparently 1 million people marched today and there were no arrests.

varian Sat 19-Oct-19 21:29:32

The pro-EU protesters are peaceful folk.

growstuff Sat 19-Oct-19 21:36:22

notanan Leavers don't have to have changed their minds. However, it can't be denied that the electorate has changed over the last three years. A few million have died and a similar number are now old enough to vote. It's also know that a number who didn't vote last time would vote if given a second chance.

The "new" voters are those whose lives will be affected most because, statistically, they have more years to live.