Gransnet forums

News & politics

should Corbyn and Watson both resign - or just lose the election?

(65 Posts)
jura2 Wed 30-Oct-19 11:52:57

discuss - I am pretty sure Corbyn cannot win this election.

Callistemon Thu 31-Oct-19 10:10:47

Wave your magic wand and he/she may appear out of a hat trisher!

Anniebach Thu 31-Oct-19 10:07:38

Corbyn lead ?

trisher Thu 31-Oct-19 09:59:12

Callistemon then perhaps what we need is someone with no ministerial experience who will bring a new attitude to government and lead but not dominate, listening to others and accepting that a policy of cooperation is better than a policy of dictatorship. After all there have been a lot of experienced people who have made a complete f* up of being PM.

Callistemon Wed 30-Oct-19 22:48:04

I take your point, trisher about age and with age should come experience, but Corbyn does not have any ministerial experience as he has spent his Parliamentary life on the back benches rebelling.

Dyffryn Wed 30-Oct-19 21:51:15

Jura, I meant all the personal comments about people’s appearance etc.

Oldjude Wed 30-Oct-19 20:30:11

Corbyn has no idea which way to go. Johnson wants out, maybe with a deal. Liberal Democrat’s definitely not democratic by cancelling out the vote. What is happening to our politics

Davidhs Wed 30-Oct-19 20:11:22

Starmer would undoubtedly get many more votes but is not likely to become leader, just like David was not chosen over brother Ed. The current Labour membership are far to left wing and will choose a leftist leader, Starmers politics are much more centerist like David M and possibly Blair

Davidhs Wed 30-Oct-19 20:01:05

“ Never thought of BJ as remotely attractive and can only assume the women he attracts are interested in power and fame (or infamy perhaps).”

It’s because he is a fool, make a woman laugh and you’re half way there, add flattery and money - - - .

jura2 Wed 30-Oct-19 19:48:50

sorry Dyffryn, could you explain what you mean here?

Dyffryn Wed 30-Oct-19 19:36:15

What a horrible thread. Discussing people like you are. Quite disgusted actually.

grapefruitpip Wed 30-Oct-19 19:33:11

Milliband and the bacon sandwich.....what on earth was that all about? I still don't know.
David, photogenic, could have done well.

Kamiso Wed 30-Oct-19 18:17:07

Never thought of BJ as remotely attractive and can only assume the women he attracts are interested in power and fame (or infamy perhaps).

Sometimes it seems to hang on the most ridiculous points. I remember Neil Kinnock walking in to a labour event looking incredibly smug and that seemed to seal his fate. Falling over on the beach didn't help either. Ed Miliband taking a bite of a hamburger with his unfortunately overbite - not his fault but not a pleasant look.

Nothing all to do with their politics but I guess it affects people's perception.

grapefruitpip Wed 30-Oct-19 18:08:12

OK Annie, here you are clearly an expert.

jura2 Wed 30-Oct-19 18:00:47

Politics is not about the coat you wear.

Anniebach Wed 30-Oct-19 17:56:28

Michael was physically disabled , he was not wearing an anorak or a donkey jacket, he wore a short wool coat because full length would have been difficult.

Davidhs Wed 30-Oct-19 17:54:29

Corbyn ain’t going to resign before the election but the party might have a rethink afterwards, 6 weeks is a very long time in politics there will be all sorts of twists and turns.

The Tories do have the upper hand because their big money supporters will throw millions into the conservative campaign, so barring any unforeseen major scandal they should be the largest party, how large - we will see.

grapefruitpip Wed 30-Oct-19 17:53:36

Maybe Keir has the whole package?

jura2 Wed 30-Oct-19 17:51:57

trisher, I admire JC. He is a great activist, and I am not concerned about his age, his looks or his glasses. But the reality is, that he is un-electable...Whereas Keir Starmer would bring in 10s of 1000s of new voters and 10s of 1000s of those who resigned from the party in last few years.

grapefruitpip Wed 30-Oct-19 17:42:48

Corbyn was admonished for wearing an anorak. Sorry, it's not nice but it's about playing the game.

Anniebach Wed 30-Oct-19 17:09:57

That damn donkey Jacket, it was not a donkey jacket, Jill showed it to me and she was really upset .

Dinahmo Wed 30-Oct-19 16:56:13

Trisher I too agree with you.

Does anyone remember the press comments after Michael Foot appeared at the Cenotaph wearing a "donkey jacket"? The right wing papers trampled all over him. But it was a short overcoat by Jaeger which his wife bought at Harrods. Apparently the Queen Mum congratulated him for wearing it as it was the right clothing for the weather.

Foot was a clever man and a good orator but sadly remembered as Worzel Gumidge

growstuff Wed 30-Oct-19 16:34:56

Callistemon I think you're the first person on here to mention swing voters specifically. Along with the 18-19 year olds who have never voted, they're the ones who matter. It doesn't really matter what life-long Conservative and Labour supporters and members think because they won't change. If Labour is to win, it needs to persuade enough swing voters. They've lost some with their dithering about Brexit, so they're going to have to rely on people who hate the Tories and can hold their noses to vote Labour, even if they do dislike Corbyn, his shadow cabinet and Momentum.

I certainly won't be placing any bets on the outcome of this election, although I think we're going to see a few big upsets in individual constituencies.

growstuff Wed 30-Oct-19 16:26:47

I haven't a clue who they are. Maybe they were too young to vote in the last election. Maybe some of them are students, who are registered wherever they're studying but will be on holiday and are eligible to vote at their home address. Younger people tend to be more mobile, so maybe some of them put registering to vote on the backburner.

I was amazed at how many there were too. About half a million babies with British nationality are born every year, so over a million people didn't vote in the last election and even more didn't have the chance to vote in the referendum. They're an unknown quantity.

Calendargirl Wed 30-Oct-19 16:21:15

He needs new glasses. His existing ones are not level. Makes me think of Fred Scuttle.

Anniebach Wed 30-Oct-19 16:18:35

Not usual to retire in one’s 50’s, different when in 70’s